Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
The Imperial War Room Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 88 89 90 91 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:58 am
I prefer smaller ship combat (Meaning frigates and corvettes and below.)
It might be the pirate in me, but I prefer more maneuverability in my cap ships. Dart in like a fencer and hit 'em where it hurts.
Plus its nice being able to land on planets.

That said, in the battle of quality vs Quantity, I prefer quality.
A good ship with a good crew can become legend as inferior crews and inferior vessels are obliterate and outwitted.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:23 am
I prefer a healthy mix of ship types.

Although, I would have to say that it all boils down to the one commanding the aforementioned armada. A guy like Thrawn could create miraculous results from the most meager of resources, while a guy like Kendal Ozzel couldn't command his way out of a paper bag.

Darth Fury

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:56 am
Well Russia's invaded Georgia.
Where's stellar when you need him? He'd be all over this story.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:07 am
Evicerate the Prolitariat! i mean...

Damn the commies!  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:53 pm
Did someone call?

I think I'll just repost some of the stuff I said about this in other forums:
Quote:
Well I've got to say both sides are at fault...

The Russian Federation has been anticipating a fight for Ossetia for several months, and had forward deployed a large number of troops along the border for months, just waiting for a reason to leap across. How do you think this exploded onto the world stage in the last two days? You know how long it takes to mobilize a motorized-rifle battalion, let along march it into the mountains of Ossetia?

The Georgian decision to attempt to force Ossetia to the negotiating table with military force was a mistake on their part, but Russia's decision to use significant aerial assets to demolish Georgian resistance will only inflame public support of the Georgian government. I wouldn't be surprised if an American Carrier group is steaming to the Black Sea as we speak. America and Georgia are close allies, and if this conflict lasts for more then a week or two you're going to have to anticipate American military involvement in support of Georgia.

Georgia has been overly zealous in its use of artillery (They are old soviet rocket and indirect fire systems with low accuracy) resulting in significant civilian casualties in Ossetia.

Russia has been overly zealous in its use of air strikes, attacking Georgian towns, the capital, and one of Georgia's only two ports. The Russian Federation uses much more "dumb" bombs then America does and has targeted civilian and infrastructural targets within Georgia itself. The attack on the port is more indicative of a general offensive against Georgia then an operation meant to merely defend Ossetia.

In terms of force strength, Georgia doesn't stand a chance. Their entire army is a mere 15,000 strong active duty force, 2,000 of which are currently in Iraq. They have around 20 Su-25 Frogfoot Ground Attack Aircraft, and that is it. 3 ground Battalions equipped with a mixture of western and soviet weaponry.

They are up against the Russian Federation and their 300,000 strong active duty force, they've deployed at least 3 Motor-Rifle Battalions to the fight. Several Regiments of Ground-Support Aircraft, and are supported by Ossetian forces.

Georgia's western allies won't allow it to be beaten up by Russia, expect unilateral sanctions from the EU at the very least, probably air support from bases in Poland and Germany by NATO, and perhaps even American Ground Forces being deployed if Georgia's back is pushed to the wall.

This conflict will not be resolved in the UN, Russia's position on the security council will make that impossible. This is gonna come down to a test of arms.

Quote:
Georgia made a rather interesting statement of the force saying there were 150 tanks plus armor vehicles and mobile artillery. Considering that a Motor-Rifle Battalion usually has an attached force of 40 tanks, I'd guess that'd be around 3-4 Motor-Rifle Battalions. So 3-4 Motor-Rifle Battalions vs 3 Georgian Battalions in their whole army. The Correlation of Forces can only get worse for the Georgians. Lucky for them the Russians have only one road to get into Ossetia, unless they want to widen the war and come down the coast.

EDIT: Ironically I've run through this little scenario tons of times with the game Lock On: Modern Air Combat. It'll take the Russians a day or two to make any significant advances into Georgian territory, the terrain there is abysmal for the armor and maneuver warfare that their doctrine was design around. Like in Afghanistan small bands of fighters can hold up the advance in mountain passes just by dropping rocks on the road with some explosive charges or simple ambushes. Small teams armed with stingers and strelas will make life miserable and short for helicopter pilots, and even threaten ground attack aircraft.

If the Russians want to advance to the Georgian capital they'll be faced with the challenge of pushing through the towns that line those roads and mountain passes. It's not the sort of assignment I'd want to take on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:25 pm
About time you showed up.  

Sol Walker
Crew

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:46 pm
Been busy fighting in EVE Online, searching for work, and keeping an eye on the world.

Gotta say, the determination of those Georgians is inspiring.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:26 pm
Whats the signifigance of the timing for the Russian attack? Did they think attacking before the Olympics would catch the Georgians off guard?  

Sol Walker
Crew

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:19 pm
No, the Olympics keeps it from monopolizing the front page. Basically it makes it harder for the true level of aggression and violence to get out when it has to compete with the Olympics for page space.

Damn the russian ultra-nationalists are flaming up every other forum I've been on. Posting their propaganda... South Ossetia started this war, not Georgia.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:02 pm
You mean the Russian backed separatists?  

Sol Walker
Crew

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:25 pm
Yeah the South Ossetians are russian backed separatists. Their also fanatics. In the first few days they shot down a Georgian Su-25, captured the pilot and immediately executed him. There are quite a few accounts of Abkhazian and South Ossetian fanaticism and brutality.

Georgia hasn't done anything like that, save for firing an artillery barrage at entrenched forces in the South Ossetian capital (Anyone with any understanding of military tactics realizes there wasn't any other option for them, they lack the precision ordinance.)

Whats real ironic is that most people with any understanding of the region knew this was coming, hell Tom Clancy even predicted the date of the invasion when he designed the game Ghost Recon. Whats worse for the Georgians is that they're only about 4 months from being approved for NATO membership.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:57 pm
Will Russia's hostile actions have any consequences for them in the Olympics?  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:09 am
Shouldn't unless they do somehing really major. The olympic committee tends to hold a nutral stance as much as possible when it comes to politics. But, that doesn't mean the athletes won't be affected...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:59 am
Saw a Georgian and Russian gymnast exchange a hug after their match yesterday.
I know it doesn't mean anything, but...

...anyway, I hope this matter is resolved soon before too much blood is spilled over this stupidity.

Darth Fury

The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 88 89 90 91 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games