Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
What Do You Think Anime Is?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:55 am
I often get asked what Anime is by people I know and sometimes I give them a short answer like Anime is Japan's form of cartoons which is based on their Japanese form of comic books know as Manga. Of course we know that it's much more than that. Here is what Wikipedia says it is:

Anime, sometimes called Japanimation, is hand-drawn and computer animation originating from Japan. The term anime is derived from the English word animation, and in Japan is used to refer to all forms of animated media. Outside Japan, the term refers specifically to animation from Japan or to a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastical themes. This culturally abstract approach to the word's meaning may open the possibility of anime produced in countries other than Japan.

So let us know what you think Anime / Manga is and which one that you like best.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:57 pm
I'm always under the philosophy that to keep it simple which I say:

"Anime is Japanese cartoons".

However I elaborate if I'm asked a question.

As an example my SIL asked if "Avatar the last airbender was a was an anime.

My response was, while it wasn't a Japanese cartoon, it is considered an anime if Japan because it is of a similar style and has classic anime themes.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:35 pm
angelmage99

My response was, while it wasn't a Japanese cartoon, it is considered an anime if Japan because it is of a similar style and has classic anime themes.

Their are many Anime inspired series including Avatar and RWBY. I look forward to seeing more. I own both btw. Their are now more and more American made movies based on Anime including Ghost in the Shell.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:14 pm
smithers456
angelmage99

Their are many Anime inspired series including Avatar and RWBY. I look forward to seeing more. I own both btw. Their are now more and more American made movies based on Anime including Ghost in the Shell.

I only have Avatar the Last Airbender right now, but Legend of Korra is on my shopping list.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:03 pm
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99

I only have Avatar the Last Airbender right now, but Legend of Korra is on my shopping list.

I happen to own the Legend of Korra series as well as avatar. You will really like Korra.  
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games