Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
What are your best and worst experiences at Conventions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:25 am
Many of us have gone to enough Anime / Cosplay conventions to have a list of the Best and Worst experiences that you have experienced at the conventions that you have gone to. To be fair to the convention venues I prefer that you didn't list the actual Conventions themselves in your list.

Here is mine:

Best Experiences:
1. Going to my first convention where I experienced the magic and wonder of it all. It was also the convention where a dream came true and I became a Cosplay photographer. .
2. Meeting one of our fellow Guild Members at a convention. She was cosplaying Neo Queen Serenity from Sailor Moon. I did a mini photoshoot of her and what added to her day was the fact that it was her wedding day!
3. My best photoshoot of a Leafa Cosplayer from Sword Art Online. I had a lot of great locations to do the shoot at.
4. Meeting Voice Actress Cherami Leigh at a Autograph Session. I gave her a prop from the Sailor Moon series - a Sailor Venus transformation rod. She has been the voice of so many of my favorite characters.

Worst Experiences:
1. Walking in the Cold Rain from where I parked to the Convention Center where the Convention was.
2. Having a Convention schedule so messed up that everything that I planned to go to was changed time wise on the schedule but they didn't update it.
3. Having an item for sale in the dealers room that you want so badly to find out that it's 100 hundreds of dollars out of reach.
4. Going to a convention that was so large in size that I got lost and missed out on some of the things that I wanted to go to.

Please let us know what your best and worst convention experiences were.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:56 am
Best Experiences

1. My then boyfriend proposing to me on the last day of con with his mom, aunt, cousin, and cousins wife all there.
2. Coming home from my first Kuroneko Con and having 20 friend request. I'm still friends and buddies with many of them.
3. Not so much a single experience, but being able to fill many roles at a convention. From giving advice to committee members (I have friends who are members at two different conventions), volunteer, security, and even as a vender/vender minion.
4. Meeting Darrel Guilbeau, then my sister proceeding to ask for her boob to be signed.

Worst Experience:
1. I meet a rapist at one and he was trying to hit on me. I didn't know till months later who he really was.
2. Being stalked by some weeb 14 year old who acted like she knew every anime.
3. This may not really count, but learning my favorite sushi place (that I go to each time I'm in Seattle with a friend for con) closed.

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Rissa Unit

Shirtless Waffles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:18 am
Listing my experiences by their meaning and importance to me. ^^

Best Experiences:
1. Getting cheered up by a friendly woman who turned out to be a funny panelist after my "friend" ditched me at my first convention and being able to thank the woman for her comfort two years later.
2. I was able to go to the same anime convention with my best friend 3 years in a row. We had a blast every time. She did a human Bill Cipher Cosplay and I did a punk rock lolita neko one year..
3. I got to trade a bunch of anime for a mint condition Negima manga collection of volumes 1 - 24. My convention has a trade day the last day of the con and you're not allowed to buy anything but instead you trade and barter for things other people have brought.
4. The awesome feeling of accomplishment of saving my own money for a year and a half to afford merch from the conventions.

~~~~~

Worst Experiences:
1. Being ditched by a so-called "friend" the first day of the convention after buying her ticket to the convention for her as well as mine. Severe anxiety of her ditching me again made me too scared to return to the con the next two days of it...
2. Bringing the wrong kind of shoes and being in complete agony after walking around for hours & having my boot zippers break halfway there on the walk from the hotel to the convention.
3. Losing an opportunity to trade for a rare anime collection because someone else broke the rules and paid for the anime by paying for the person's next convention ticket and hotel costs. (Although to be fair, I'd have taken that offer too...)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:20 am
Rissa Unit
Listing my experiences by their meaning and importance to me. ^^

Best Experiences:
1. Getting cheered up by a friendly woman who turned out to be a funny panelist after my "friend" ditched me at my first convention and being able to thank the woman for her comfort two years later.
2. I was able to go to the same anime convention with my best friend 3 years in a row. We had a blast every time. She did a human Bill Cipher Cosplay and I did a punk rock lolita neko one year..
3. I got to trade a bunch of anime for a mint condition Negima manga collection of volumes 1 - 24. My convention has a trade day the last day of the con and you're not allowed to buy anything but instead you trade and barter for things other people have brought.
4. The awesome feeling of accomplishment of saving my own money for a year and a half to afford merch from the conventions.

Here are some things that I can relate to:
1. Having many wonderful interactions with Panelists. I'm not shy when it comes to asking questions. At my last convention I got to talk to two panelists who were cosplayers from Europe. One of them was from Britain, accent and all. Being part British it was cool and better yet I got to learn a lot about Conventions in Great Britain.
2. One of the things that I like the most is sharing my convention experiences with both my Brother and my Niece. My Niece is my Pokemon Expert. smile
3. I'm a big Negima series fan. I do prefer the Anime version. I think that it's cool to trade for items at a convention.
4. Saving up money to go to a convention, buy stuff, and even come up with enough money to buy / make a Cosplay outfit is cool.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

ChaosKnights

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:07 pm
Best experiences:
1. First time ever going and feeling the energy and enthusiasm of everyone just being there.
2. Witnessed a 'miracle' when by all statistical odds shouldn't have happened. A guy was playing a game show with three others. Based on results they were able to pick a surprise prize amongst 20 items or steal from one of their contestants. This guy being last place gets stolen from 3 times with each prize being better then the last until he eventually got himself a Wii. Holy sh*t that was amazing to see.
3. Winning giant jenga for the first time.
4. Met Monty Oum

Worse experience:
1. Wearing cosplay that had no ventilation and I ended up cooking quite a bit.
2. Someone was sick and it spread like wildfire which ended up getting everyone sick at the convention. Myself included. Crappiest week ever.
3. Summer like weather always sucks.
4. Costume malfunction when something breaks and it isn't an easy fix. Part of my keyblade broke one time.

Best/worse experience?
To this day I'm still not sure how to feel about it. It was the first time I cosplayed and this girl dressed as Haruhi Suzumiya groped my butt. On one hand, socially unacceptable. On the other, flattered as I'm a pretty mediocre guy who generally gets ignored most of the time.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:21 pm
ChaosKnights
Best experiences:
1. First time ever going and feeling the energy and enthusiasm of everyone just being there.
2. Witnessed a 'miracle' when by all statistical odds shouldn't have happened. A guy was playing a game show with three others. Based on results they were able to pick a surprise prize amongst 20 items or steal from one of their contestants. This guy being last place gets stolen from 3 times with each prize being better then the last until he eventually got himself a Wii. Holy sh*t that was amazing to see.
3. Winning giant jenga for the first time.
4. Met Monty Oum

Worse experience:
1. Wearing cosplay that had no ventilation and I ended up cooking quite a bit.
2. Someone was sick and it spread like wildfire which ended up getting everyone sick at the convention. Myself included. Crappiest week ever.
3. Summer like weather always sucks.
4. Costume malfunction when something breaks and it isn't an easy fix. Part of my keyblade broke one time.

Best/worse experience?
To this day I'm still not sure how to feel about it. It was the first time I cosplayed and this girl dressed as Haruhi Suzumiya groped my butt. On one hand, socially unacceptable. On the other, flattered as I'm a pretty mediocre guy who generally gets ignored most of the time.

That is really cool that you met Monty Oum. smile I Love and own the RWBY anime series. I can agree about summer weather. One year I got really bad sun burn. I'm curious about the giant Jenga competition. How big were the pieces. Typically most Cosplayers get upset when they get groped because it's socially unacceptable and their is a chance of their cosplay outfit getting damaged.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

ChaosKnights

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:02 am
smithers456

That is really cool that you met Monty Oum. smile I Love and own the RWBY anime series. I can agree about summer weather. One year I got really bad sun burn. I'm curious about the giant Jenga competition. How big were the pieces. Typically most Cosplayers get upset when they get groped because it's socially unacceptable and their is a chance of their cosplay outfit getting damaged.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:52 pm
ChaosKnights
smithers456

That video is really cool!! Do you remember what convention or event the competition was at?  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

ChaosKnights

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:36 am
smithers456

That video is really cool!! Do you remember what convention or event the competition was at?

Fanimecon at San Jose, California.  
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff