Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
Anime Clubs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:41 am
Something to talk about!!

Over the last few years I have been hearing more and more about Anime / Manga clubs. One of my nieces has been in one at her High School for years. She has a great time talking to others about different Anime that they watch and playing video games like Pokemon. The club is large enough that they have even gone to Conventions together.

Have you been or are in an Anime / Manga club in real life? What does your club do and are their special outings that you go to.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:11 pm
I wish! Though my art club did take a trip to comic con a couple years ago which was awesome.  

NariKitsu

Taken Vampire

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:49 pm
I am the current president of the Anime & Gaming Club (AGC for short) at my post-secondary school. I became the president because my male best friend, who was the president before me, dropped out of school. (Not too sure if he'll be back or not.) During his time as the president, I was the vice president. Our friend, who we refer to has veteran president, was the president before my male best friend. During his reign as president, my male best friend and I were just club members. In fact, that is how I gained my male best friend by meeting him at AGC. XD

We meet twice a week during the fall and winter semesters, unless something comes up that we're not able to do so.

As the name suggests, we watch anime and play games.
gaia_star Anime:
- It must be appropriate though, being that we use one of the windowed rooms, where anyone can see us, and we want to remain a respectable non-academic club. This means that we don't watch yaoi, yuri, or hentai anime.
- We also respect those who don't like bloody, gory, and violent anime. We had a former club member that was anxious about that kind of anime, so we didn't watch any whenever she was there.
- We watch both new and old anime, using Kiss Anime, YouTube, and Netflix.
gaia_star Games:
- We mainly play console games. Our main gaming system is our Wii. We sometimes use our Xbox 360 or borrow my friend's Wii U. Our most popular game is Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the form of Project M. However, we do try to play our other games (various dance, racing, fighting, shooting, and sport games) though.
- We also play Magic: The Gathering, which is our most popular trading card game that is played amongst our members. We do get the odd Vanguard and Yu-Gi-Oh! player in though.
- We normally don't play regular board games because there is another student club that is specifically for tabletop games. We don't want to take away from them, but we do a few special days when we play board games.
gaia_star Special Days:
- To make things more interesting, we sometimes have theme days or weeks.
- These include board games, mini tournaments (no cash prize involved), retro, sports, and random days.

Most of the executives (president, vice president, treasurer/secretary) and some club members do attend local anime conventions together. In fact, starting 2014, Otafest Aurora has been held at our post-secondary school. I never attended Otafest Aurora when it was in the downtown campus area of another post-secondary school. However, I felt obligated and a bit proud to have it take place at my school, so it felt almost natural to attend it now. That said, AGC is not affiliated with Otafest Aurora, being that it's a third party. (We have some complex student club rules. >.<)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:27 pm
Me and my girlfriend started a club at our high school called Japanese Culture Club, where we basically teach the members about Japan's culture including foods, fashion, history, entertainment, etc. whee We also watch and discuss anime and make Japanese food and yeah -- It's pretty cool. We've got 15 people, which really isn't much compared to other clubs, but it's pretty good for the type of club it is whee  

Peridooot

Fashionable Lunatic

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:33 am
Neko Breeze
Me and my girlfriend started a club at our high school called Japanese Culture Club, where we basically teach the members about Japan's culture including foods, fashion, history, entertainment, etc. whee We also watch and discuss anime and make Japanese food and yeah -- It's pretty cool. We've got 15 people, which really isn't much compared to other clubs, but it's pretty good for the type of club it is whee

Greetings "Neko Breeze",

I get regular Emails from RightStufanime.com. Here is some info that you might find Useful:

Advertisement
Now that School is Underway . . .
Want to start an Anime Club at your school? Or need a way Amp-up your existing club?
What about an Anime Convention or Event?

Stuf for Clubs - Anime Club Support Program:
Screeners of New Releases. From RightStuf's Nozomi Entertainment!
A streamlined Screening Permission process.
Sought after SWAG, Promotional Merchandise, and More!

Contact RightStufanime.com for more info  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:24 pm
I was thinking about making a thread, but then I saw this, so...

Anyway, I'm a member of a local club here -- Chibi Otaku. We started out as more or less an anime club, but we're pretty much an Asian culture club now. We do quarterly(?) outings to local Asian restaurants to experience the food and culture, and monthly pizza outings. We also go to conventions, Sakura Matsuri, and the like.

Website, for the interested: Chibi Otaku -- we also have a facebook presence, a YouTube channel, and a horribly inactive Gaia Guild. sweatdrop  

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
Miscellaneous Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers