Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Midwest Conventions
Kansas Naka-Con 2016

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kiranimi

3,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:47 pm
So...this will be my first convention and I'm going by myself...any tips? What I Should see?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:22 am
Hi Kiranimi,

Their are so many things about Conventions that I could talk to you about. For now I will give you a list of things to consider:

1. If possible find someone to go with you to this Con. It can make the experience mean even more to you and their is safety in numbers.

2. Check out the Cons website to see what is going to happen at it. Make note of things that sound interesting to you.

3. Plan ahead. Save money and have extra for unexpected expenses. Make sure to note where their are places to eat in and around the con. Take water with you. Many people forget.

4. When you get to the Con make sure to get a guide to it. If you need help finding a place in the con that you want to go to ask a con staff member. They are their to help. Be prepared for lines to certain events. Some times the line and wait could be as much as an hour. I usually spend that time talking to other people in line. I've seen some people playing games on their Cell phones and other devices.

5. Bring your camera. You will regret it if you don't. Their are always interesting Cosplayers to take photos of. Always ask the Cosplayer first before taking their photo. You don't have to Cosplay to go to a con but seeing the Cosplayers may inspire you to make an outfit for yourself in the future.

6. Most cons have special guests (Especially Voice Actors), special events, panels, cosplay competitions, anime video viewing rooms, video game playing rooms, artist alleys and dealers rooms, and so much more. This where planning is important. If you can't do everything that you want to do make plans to do the rest of them at a future con.

7. Most important. Take your time taking everything in. My first con I got overwhelmed by how big it was and of all of the different things to see and do. Take breaks. Have fun!! Going to a con is like stepping into another world. You will know what I mean when you get their.

Let us know how things go.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:35 pm
Kiranimi
So...this will be my first convention and I'm going by myself...any tips? What I Should see?

Hello!

I'm actually one of the old first year staffers from this con from when i stilled lived in the state.

As a former staffer i would suggest

1. Bring a charger for your phone + a back up battery block if you have one

2. do not put all your money in your wallet. if you lose your wallet you will be out of luck

3. pack snacks, avoid buying anything food wise inside the con. do a bit of research on restaurants in the area, before you go so you know where everything is and you can go have at least one filling meal.

4. make a mini first aid kit, bandaids, Tylenol, ect.

5. if you are cosplaying, take a small sewing kit, also find the location of the costume repair center if they provide one

6. plan your day out in advanced, if you see a panel or event scheduled you'd like to attend, give your self time to get there. most people will line up for certain events an hour to 2 hours in advanced.

7. as tempting as it is, do not immediately buy up items from the dealers hall. they will place a small amount of items on the tables and booths to make you think stock is limited, stop back by the table/booth through out the day to see if the merch looks the same as it did earlier. if it does it means they have extra stock and are restocking as items are sold. browse for bigger items on sunday as most vendors will discount the items so that they do not have to pack and ship them back to their warehouses.

8. PREPARE FOR CROWDS. Saturdays are always the busiest day of a con be prepared to wait in lines for events and panels, and prepare for them to run out of space. plan waaay ahead for saturday.

9. take breaks. as it is your first con they can become overwhelming very quickly, so be sure to find a nice quiet spot to take a moment to decompress, check your phone battery/charge it if you have the chance and have a snack before continuing on.

10. have fun! the missouri cosplay and con community is one of the best i was ever apart of. it's a very tight knit community, yes you will find those few bad eggs, but the rest are welcoming!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:47 pm
Learn the lay of the land. Find out where the best and.or cheapest places to eat are, where the local drug store might be for emergencies, etc. Ask around! The should have a message board or at least a Facebook page where you can inquire.

Also, remember the "6-2-1" rule: six hours of sleep, two solid meals, and a shower. Just in case.

Also, start taking lots of vitamin C now, that way you have a lesser chance of getting con crud.  

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kiranimi

3,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:02 pm
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Kiranimi

Hello!

I'm actually one of the old first year staffers from this con from when i stilled lived in the state.

As a former staffer i would suggest

1. Bring a charger for your phone + a back up battery block if you have one

2. do not put all your money in your wallet. if you lose your wallet you will be out of luck

3. pack snacks, avoid buying anything food wise inside the con. do a bit of research on restaurants in the area, before you go so you know where everything is and you can go have at least one filling meal.

4. make a mini first aid kit, bandaids, Tylenol, ect.

5. if you are cosplaying, take a small sewing kit, also find the location of the costume repair center if they provide one

6. plan your day out in advanced, if you see a panel or event scheduled you'd like to attend, give your self time to get there. most people will line up for certain events an hour to 2 hours in advanced.

7. as tempting as it is, do not immediately buy up items from the dealers hall. they will place a small amount of items on the tables and booths to make you think stock is limited, stop back by the table/booth through out the day to see if the merch looks the same as it did earlier. if it does it means they have extra stock and are restocking as items are sold. browse for bigger items on sunday as most vendors will discount the items so that they do not have to pack and ship them back to their warehouses.

8. PREPARE FOR CROWDS. Saturdays are always the busiest day of a con be prepared to wait in lines for events and panels, and prepare for them to run out of space. plan waaay ahead for saturday.

9. take breaks. as it is your first con they can become overwhelming very quickly, so be sure to find a nice quiet spot to take a moment to decompress, check your phone battery/charge it if you have the chance and have a snack before continuing on.

10. have fun! the missouri cosplay and con community is one of the best i was ever apart of. it's a very tight knit community, yes you will find those few bad eggs, but the rest are welcoming!

Thanks! I had a blast! I was pretty overwhelmed at first but i had fun!  
Midwest Conventions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games