• Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:04 pm
White Siren Queen
Prof. Moonie
White Siren Queen
Prof. Moonie
Hmm... I feel like your name is familiar but I'm not fully confident about it.

1. I've been doing pretty good. Just keeping busy between my volunteering and working. Plus I've got several conventions coming up to, so I'll be having a few cosplays I'll be working on as well.

2. Lately it's been slower than it usually is. Probably because of work, school, and life in general getting in the way of the regulars posting as often as they used to. Though we're probably a bit more active that some other guilds. *shrugs* I wouldn't know for certain since Why Not is the only guild I've ever been a part of. sweatdrop

Did you ever do a name change? I feel like I'd recognize you, but I'm not sure.
Volunteer work is noble, work is good labor, cosplay is a deadly combo of pleasure and pain, lmao.
Maybe it's daily life that's bothering everyone, and not just Gaia being broken? Maybe all the other social media sites are too popular and some Gaian's have moved on? sad
You seem like a very busy person, and I know I can barely get on here and be consistent without having to mother my nephew, go to school, and be the peacekeeper between family, friends, and a serious relationship. Maybe life in general is causing the decline in activity.

I've always been Prof. Moonie since the day I joined Gaia and never intend on changing it.

I socialize with the cats at the local humane animal shelter, so yeah, it is a pretty noble position to have. Cosplay - "a deadly combo of pleasure and pain"? Hmm... I guess I've only known the pleasure side of the hobby.

Hmmmm... when did you join gaia? I joined in 07.
YOU SAVE/COMFORT KITTIES? heart heart heart

You've never had to rush a cosplay outfit before the day of a con???
Or had to slave grueling hours perfecting a complicated costume? D:
You must be pro at this hobby if not! Haha.

I joined in November 2004. I don't know what year I joined Why Not but I have a feeling it was only a few years later that I discovered the guild.

Yeah, I assist in providing love and attention to the cats that we've taken in (whether they are strays or surrenders). Through my Vet Data Entry position, I also assist with inputting medications for our Veterinarian and weighing the cats that need to be weighed as well. smile

I have a whole list of dream cosplays I hope to do sometime in the future, so I usually choose my cosplays from that. By the time I confirm that I'm attending a convention or event, I have already figured out what potential cosplays I'll be doing, whether it's new ones or bringing back a former one I've already done. I usually pick out the cosplays based on the length of time I have to create something (i.e. handmake a costume or do a "closet" cosplay) and what celebrities will be at the convention. Once I determine the cosplay, I spend about a day or two designing and speculating how I'm going to do it (patterns I might need, fabrics I might use, etc.). Sometimes I look at what other people have done for their versions of the same cosplay to get ideas on how to do something; tutorials are awesome for things like that. Then I start working on it and do what parts I can during my free time when I'm not working.
Probably the only time that I was completing a cosplay literally a day before I planned on wearing it was my Codex (from The Guild) costume. There was just the eyelets that needed to be redone on the corset I made because the tool we originally got was the wrong one for the eyelet size we were using. However, both of my parents were helping me out a lot with the costume ((definitely was a collaborative project)), so they helped finish the last bit of things on the costume for me while I was at the convention. So, yes, I've spent hours on a costume that would be considered complicated ((My first cosplay costume I made was Sailor Venus! Mind you this was my first sewing project I ever did, lol)) but I'm pretty good at planning out what I want to do, how I want to do it, and when I should focus on completing aspects of it.
While I don't consider myself a pro quite yet ((still have some "levelling up" to do before I reach that point)), I have taken a lot of clues on how to do things from seeing what other cosplayers have done with their projects. JoEllen Elam of Firefly Path and Traci Hines are the two main people that I've been following for some time and consider them my rolemodels in the cosplaying world.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:50 pm
Hiddochi wolf
I vaguely remember your username, but I don't think we ever directly interacted. Regardless, welcome back!

1. I can't speak for everyone, but I've been pretty good. Started college last year, and it's a b***h. It's fun, but it's also the fastest thing to ever make me question everything I know and destroy my self-esteem. xd

2. Eh, all of Gaia is pretty much dying at this point, which makes me sad. Just like the entire site, Why Not is starting to slow down a bit. Most of us are still here, but we're all pretty busy with the real world nowadays. At least, I am.

Your name is pretty familiar to me too! Hmm. Wonder if I ever drew for you. I know I drew some art for some people here I just can't remember who. Hahah.

For 1] YES. College will do that to you, ESPECIALLY with social sciences. It'll make you question every value you have and morale you follow, hahaha. And it's indeed fast paced.

For 2] I severely agree. I even posted in the wrong section in the gaia forums and submitted a request to move the thread and none of the admins have even got to it yet. But yes, agreed; we all got hit in the face with a truckload of responsibilities.  

White Siren Queen

White Siren Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:58 pm
Catkid_neo
Hello! cat_biggrin

I don't think I know you very well, but I suppose that's fine. I've been more active on Recolor than on here anyway. cat_sweatdrop

I'm making jewelry now. I'll get some of my paintings finished eventually, so I have plenty of time to make some necklaces and bracelets. cat_3nodding
I will need more beads and wire, though... cat_ninja

Well hello Catkid. <: What's Recolor???
I'm under an online rock, so I don't know too much about other social media sites, haha.

I love jewelry making! Would you show me some of your examples?? <: I usually do wiring too when it comes to crafts.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:05 pm
Prof. Moonie
White Siren Queen
Prof. Moonie
White Siren Queen
Prof. Moonie
Hmm... I feel like your name is familiar but I'm not fully confident about it.

1. I've been doing pretty good. Just keeping busy between my volunteering and working. Plus I've got several conventions coming up to, so I'll be having a few cosplays I'll be working on as well.

2. Lately it's been slower than it usually is. Probably because of work, school, and life in general getting in the way of the regulars posting as often as they used to. Though we're probably a bit more active that some other guilds. *shrugs* I wouldn't know for certain since Why Not is the only guild I've ever been a part of. sweatdrop

Did you ever do a name change? I feel like I'd recognize you, but I'm not sure.
Volunteer work is noble, work is good labor, cosplay is a deadly combo of pleasure and pain, lmao.
Maybe it's daily life that's bothering everyone, and not just Gaia being broken? Maybe all the other social media sites are too popular and some Gaian's have moved on? sad
You seem like a very busy person, and I know I can barely get on here and be consistent without having to mother my nephew, go to school, and be the peacekeeper between family, friends, and a serious relationship. Maybe life in general is causing the decline in activity.

I've always been Prof. Moonie since the day I joined Gaia and never intend on changing it.

I socialize with the cats at the local humane animal shelter, so yeah, it is a pretty noble position to have. Cosplay - "a deadly combo of pleasure and pain"? Hmm... I guess I've only known the pleasure side of the hobby.

Hmmmm... when did you join gaia? I joined in 07.
YOU SAVE/COMFORT KITTIES? heart heart heart

You've never had to rush a cosplay outfit before the day of a con???
Or had to slave grueling hours perfecting a complicated costume? D:
You must be pro at this hobby if not! Haha.

I joined in November 2004. I don't know what year I joined Why Not but I have a feeling it was only a few years later that I discovered the guild.

Yeah, I assist in providing love and attention to the cats that we've taken in (whether they are strays or surrenders). Through my Vet Data Entry position, I also assist with inputting medications for our Veterinarian and weighing the cats that need to be weighed as well. smile

I have a whole list of dream cosplays I hope to do sometime in the future, so I usually choose my cosplays from that. By the time I confirm that I'm attending a convention or event, I have already figured out what potential cosplays I'll be doing, whether it's new ones or bringing back a former one I've already done. I usually pick out the cosplays based on the length of time I have to create something (i.e. handmake a costume or do a "closet" cosplay) and what celebrities will be at the convention. Once I determine the cosplay, I spend about a day or two designing and speculating how I'm going to do it (patterns I might need, fabrics I might use, etc.). Sometimes I look at what other people have done for their versions of the same cosplay to get ideas on how to do something; tutorials are awesome for things like that. Then I start working on it and do what parts I can during my free time when I'm not working.
Probably the only time that I was completing a cosplay literally a day before I planned on wearing it was my Codex (from The Guild) costume. There was just the eyelets that needed to be redone on the corset I made because the tool we originally got was the wrong one for the eyelet size we were using. However, both of my parents were helping me out a lot with the costume ((definitely was a collaborative project)), so they helped finish the last bit of things on the costume for me while I was at the convention. So, yes, I've spent hours on a costume that would be considered complicated ((My first cosplay costume I made was Sailor Venus! Mind you this was my first sewing project I ever did, lol)) but I'm pretty good at planning out what I want to do, how I want to do it, and when I should focus on completing aspects of it.
While I don't consider myself a pro quite yet ((still have some "levelling up" to do before I reach that point)), I have taken a lot of clues on how to do things from seeing what other cosplayers have done with their projects. JoEllen Elam of Firefly Path and Traci Hines are the two main people that I've been following for some time and consider them my rolemodels in the cosplaying world.

; v ; You're a hero in my book. I have a fierce love for animals and I loathe shelters; no-kill shelters are okay in my book though. It makes me sad that animals get left behind. It just makes me think "Well s**t, if that was a kid, would you just leave that kid behind?" But then again there are people like that in this world. I also wish housing places and apartments were more pet friendly.

My goodness, you sound like you have a stress free cosplay life! LOL. Every other cosplayer I'm friends with go through the last minute "gotta finish my costume before the con in 4 hours" deal, even though they have been working on their stuff in a decent timely manner. You're lucky; I've never really heard of parents helping their kid with cosplays unless it's... well. Halloween. And even then, after their kid is much older, they're like "why are you dressing up? what kind of hobby is this? make your own costume, I don't have time to help you with this stuff." But otherwise, you seem pretty organized to the point that you never have to rush on anything.  

White Siren Queen

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:38 pm
White Siren Queen
; v ; You're a hero in my book. I have a fierce love for animals and I loathe shelters; no-kill shelters are okay in my book though. It makes me sad that animals get left behind. It just makes me think "Well s**t, if that was a kid, would you just leave that kid behind?" But then again there are people like that in this world. I also wish housing places and apartments were more pet friendly.

My goodness, you sound like you have a stress free cosplay life! LOL. Every other cosplayer I'm friends with go through the last minute "gotta finish my costume before the con in 4 hours" deal, even though they have been working on their stuff in a decent timely manner. You're lucky; I've never really heard of parents helping their kid with cosplays unless it's... well. Halloween. And even then, after their kid is much older, they're like "why are you dressing up? what kind of hobby is this? make your own costume, I don't have time to help you with this stuff." But otherwise, you seem pretty organized to the point that you never have to rush on anything.

Although our shelter doesn't specifically call themselves a "no-kill" shelter, our percentage of live release rates is high enough to earn ourselves such term. We do not euthanize healthy or treatable-rehabilitatible animals.
Yeah, for the most part, most of our surrenders and strays end up being pets left behind because either their original owner passed away (and none of the rest of the family wants to take the animal in) or their owners have to move and the new home isn't pet friendly.

My Codex staff consisted of a lot of cutting into PVC pipe and using woodworking tools to get the pieces I needed, so my Dad helped out on that aspect. Then my Mom has some sewing experience, so she occasionally helps me understand some of the confusing aspects of patterns that I don't understand. Both of my parents are still confused about the whole cosplay hobby but through their experience of watching me design my own outfits and attend conventions, they're slowly getting to understand it better. Plus they've occasionally watched a few documentaries that sometimes talk about cosplay conventions, so they've learned a bit more about it through that.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:52 pm
Prof. Moonie
White Siren Queen

Although our shelter doesn't specifically call themselves a "no-kill" shelter, our percentage of live release rates is high enough to earn ourselves such term. We do not euthanize healthy or treatable-rehabilitatible animals.
Yeah, for the most part, most of our surrenders and strays end up being pets left behind because either their original owner passed away (and none of the rest of the family wants to take the animal in) or their owners have to move and the new home isn't pet friendly.

My Codex staff consisted of a lot of cutting into PVC pipe and using woodworking tools to get the pieces I needed, so my Dad helped out on that aspect. Then my Mom has some sewing experience, so she occasionally helps me understand some of the confusing aspects of patterns that I don't understand. Both of my parents are still confused about the whole cosplay hobby but through their experience of watching me design my own outfits and attend conventions, they're slowly getting to understand it better. Plus they've occasionally watched a few documentaries that sometimes talk about cosplay conventions, so they've learned a bit more about it through that.

Ohh, I see. But still, having that much effort is noble to me. As for the owners dying, that's pretty reasonable to why an animal will end up in a shelter. It's a shame that other families can't take care of them, but I'm sure they have reasons. ]:

Jesus Christ, you have an epic family to team with you! Not only that, they take the time to understand the hobbies you enjoy! My parents would never do that for me. They've thought art was a complete waste of time for me my whole life, even though they know I'm pretty good at it. Actually, they'd never get to know the hobbies I enjoy, period. LOL.
Hey, what are your other hobbies??  

White Siren Queen

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:08 pm
White Siren Queen
Prof. Moonie
White Siren Queen

Ohh, I see. But still, having that much effort is noble to me. As for the owners dying, that's pretty reasonable to why an animal will end up in a shelter. It's a shame that other families can't take care of them, but I'm sure they have reasons. ]:

Jesus Christ, you have an epic family to team with you! Not only that, they take the time to understand the hobbies you enjoy! My parents would never do that for me. They've thought art was a complete waste of time for me my whole life, even though they know I'm pretty good at it. Actually, they'd never get to know the hobbies I enjoy, period. LOL.
Hey, what are your other hobbies??

Reading has been my main hobby aside from cosplaying lately. I enjoy writing as well but with my work schedule, I just haven't found the time to still down and work on anything.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:46 pm
Hello! I don't recognize you but that's because I'm a fairly new member. I joined sometime during late last year. I think I joined during one of the slower periods of guild activity, but that's okay because it doesn't make me feel as bad for not posting every single day. Out of all of the guilds I'm in (which is not very many), this is the only one that's truly active. So, that's why I prefer posting here the most. I'd join a couple more guilds but I'm afraid I'll get kicked for inactivity during my semesters. lol
As for how I've been doing - I've been doing fairly well. Could have been better but could have been much worse. Good and bad times were had over my winter break. I'm going back to school next week, which I'm anxious about, but it will probably be fine. How are you? :3  

yeet-chan

Big Duck

"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas