Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Gender Dysphoria

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXbelovedXxx

Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:00 pm
Gender Dysphoria: Something we don't seem to talk about too much here, and it's been on my mind a bit lately.

Definition (for those of you who don't know): in short, it's being very uncomfortable with your gender

My background: I'm a gender fluid-ish panromantic lesbian (meaning i'm only physically attracted to girls) who, for the most part, identifies as female. With the ending of my toxic relationship about a year and a half ago, I started coming to terms more with my sexuality and gender and becoming more comfortable with myself. Since then, I have excepted that I am in fact gay (even though I am in a straight relationship with a cis man) and my gender identity is a bit more complex than I thought.

Recently, my hair has been growing out, and my partner asked me to keep it longer, which is a fair request since I ask him to keep his beardy face. I like it 3nodding Little did I know, this request would trigger all sorts off awkward discomfort and gender dysphoria. All because my hair is longer than it's usual 3 inches. Not a big deal, I told him I need to get it cut, the end.

But the weird feeling that seemed to be triggered over nothing are still bothering me. And I did want to grow my hair out, but I don't think I emotionally can. I plan on getting engaged in about a year, and wish my hair would be long and beautiful like it used to be for this event.

Any thoughts, experiences, stories, questions, etc? Feel free to share.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:32 pm
I'm not particularly comfortable with my gender, but I'm not sure if I have dysphoria or it's a phase.  

Katana left the site

Angelic Shade

1uxure

Distinct Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 pm
"I'm a genderfluid ish lesbian who mostly is girl"
So you're a cis girl

Only girls can be lesbians

You're a girl

You don't have dysphoria

You're a cis girl

heart  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:53 am
claudekin
So you're a cis girl

You're a girl

You don't have dysphoria

You're a cis girl

heart

They specifically said that they have dysphoria, so they're not cis. And any range of female-presenting people can identify as lesbian. I'm a truscum and I think this is legit.  

Katana left the site

Angelic Shade

1uxure

Distinct Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:55 am
GoldenxShadows
claudekin
So you're a cis girl

You're a girl

You don't have dysphoria

You're a cis girl

heart

They specifically said that they have dysphoria, so they're not cis. And any range of female-presenting people can identify as lesbian. I'm a truscum and I think this is legit.

I must of missed where they said they had dysphoria, because I'm truscum too cool  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:23 pm
I would share my entire experience with gender dysphoria, but it would be a very long post and I don't want to seem preachy, so I'll spare you the sermon.

If you want to make sure that what you're feeling is gender dysphoria, try going online and making a male identity for yourself. Talk to a friend in real life about your doubts and ask them to call you by male pronouns and a male name for a month. See if you feel any happier when you're spoken to and treated like a man.

I had doubts about this myself because I had no one to ask about it and was completely new to the idea that transgender people actually existed (I was very sheltered as a child). I experimented by talking to a few trusted friend and asked them to address me with male pronouns. I also asked people at my workplace to call me Eugene, which is my legal middle name already. After a few weeks of being called by a male name in public and addressed with male pronouns, I self-examined and found that when people called me by my female name and addressed me as a female, I felt less confident and less myself when compared to how I felt with the opposite.

This is how I proved to myself that what I was experiencing was gender dysphoria, because, as a crossplayer, I felt that wishing I looked more masculine could have been me wanting to pull off the look better rather than having an actual desire to change my gender. I have also tried picturing myself getting my breasts removed and growing facial hair with comfortable success. I've even felt happier when picturing myself that way.

In the end, no mind works exactly like another. Talk to people you trust to be understanding and objective and seek counseling if you can afford it. Odds are that if you're asking yourself if you're transgender, you probably are.  

TheCreatureOfHabit

Tipsy Comrade

9,800 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Demonic Associate 100

xXbelovedXxx

Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:06 pm
claudekin
So you're a cis girl

You're a girl

You don't have dysphoria

You're a cis girl

heart

I'm intrigued with your closed minded view-Not to be offensive.

But there are in fact ftm trans people who still identify as lesbians, and there are also "straight" metro cis males who feel the term lesbian also describes their sexuality. I use the term panromantic lesbian because it is the closest label I have found for my sexual orientation. Otherwise, when speaking about my sexual orientation I identify as gay. Oh wait, but gay is only a term for boys! No it's not. It's a word. A word that can be used by anyone as long as it makes you more comfortable.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:08 pm
Lawrence Eugene
I would share my entire experience with gender dysphoria, but it would be a very long post and I don't want to seem preachy, so I'll spare you the sermon.

If you want to make sure that what you're feeling is gender dysphoria, try going online and making a male identity for yourself. Talk to a friend in real life about your doubts and ask them to call you by male pronouns and a male name for a month. See if you feel any happier when you're spoken to and treated like a man.

I had doubts about this myself because I had no one to ask about it and was completely new to the idea that transgender people actually existed (I was very sheltered as a child). I experimented by talking to a few trusted friend and asked them to address me with male pronouns. I also asked people at my workplace to call me Eugene, which is my legal middle name already. After a few weeks of being called by a male name in public and addressed with male pronouns, I self-examined and found that when people called me by my female name and addressed me as a female, I felt less confident and less myself when compared to how I felt with the opposite.

This is how I proved to myself that what I was experiencing was gender dysphoria, because, as a crossplayer, I felt that wishing I looked more masculine could have been me wanting to pull off the look better rather than having an actual desire to change my gender. I have also tried picturing myself getting my breasts removed and growing facial hair with comfortable success. I've even felt happier when picturing myself that way.

In the end, no mind works exactly like another. Talk to people you trust to be understanding and objective and seek counseling if you can afford it. Odds are that if you're asking yourself if you're transgender, you probably are.

It's not so much that I am concerned with being transgender, rather, that I know I am somewhere in between. So, with my own personal experience, I am called by both pronouns already, mostly due to my appearance being quite androgynous and I gender bend on a day to day basis. So it's not that I am uncomfortable, but every now and then for whatever reason the gender dysphoria feeling pops up and makes my life more complicated for seemingly no reason.  

xXbelovedXxx

Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Ember-babe

Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:18 pm
xXbelovedXxx

You could always get a lovely wig done up for you for the wedding. That way you can have long hair when you want to and have short hair when you feel like it. biggrin  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games