Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
Elitist Cosplayers

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:35 pm
I don't normally post serious stuff on this site, but this has become a more serious issue than before, so bear with me here.

Over the past few years I have noticed a major increase in what I like to call "elitist cosplayers". These are very talented cosplayers whose cosplays are spot on. They usually invest a lot of time, money, and effort into making their cosplays as accurate and beautiful as possible. But when they wear their cosplays they develop a “greater-than-thou” attitude and become judgmental of other people’s cosplays. Every cosplayer has a right to be proud of their cosplays, but there’s a line between being proud and being a bully.

When you spend a lot of time on cosplays, you have every right to be proud of them, but that doesn't give people the right to put down other people's work. I've known many new cosplayers who gave up the hobby and conventions in general due to this growing group of people. It's very sad to see. One’s own satisfaction should not be bought at the expense of another’s dignity.

Why do people cosplay? I’m sure that everyone will have a different answer to that question, be it for attention, for the love of a series, or for the challenge of making the costume. The bottom line is that we all cosplay for fun, but when people start bullying other cosplayers, then they aren’t having fun anymore. Everyone who cosplays has to start somewhere, and even the Elites have had their early, experimental cosplays. There is no call for judging other people’s cosplays

My last thought for this is to think about what we’re actually doing. My friends and I regularly run around in green and yellow spandex or pink wigs. Can you really take yourself seriously? Lighten up and don’t sweat the small stuff! We’re all here to have fun! If you’re too worried about taking everyone else’s cosplays down a notch, you’ll never see the fun of your own creation.

As such, I urge you to be encouraging to cosplayers when you attend conventions. Compliment their work, and make the atmosphere a better place to be.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:36 pm
I've seen another side of the "elitist cosplayers" lately. Some of them that I have found on Facebook have been feeling a lot of pressure to create the absolute best and most accurate outfits all of the time. Some think that their fans will not like them anymore if they don't always produce their best. A couple of them recently broke down under the pressure of having anywhere from 3 to 5 new outfits per convention. One of them almost decided to stop doing cosplay outfits for good. She burned herself out. In the end we are all human and can only do so much.

I feel that they have become obsessed with being the best. It's sad to see because Cosplaying is suppose to be fun and a hobby. As a Cosplay Photographer I have seen the attitude that some of these "bully elitist cosplayers" have had. I have a really good digital camera but to some of these cosplayers I'm not good enough to take their photo because I didn't spend $2,000 to $5,000 for my equipment. I look for cosplayers that are open to having their photo taken and have fun posing for me. I tend to stay clear of the "bully elitist cosplayers".  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Swibbs

Wealthy Noob

9,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:50 am
People cosplay to have fun and enjoy a charactee they like. The internet has changed this and made costuming jnto a business so thats why its competative. Somenpeople live off commissions and necome ecoccentirc and judge other people for not putting time into their costumes. Its wrong. But i still believe that the good happy cosplayers still own the cosplay community  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:04 am
I used to think that I shouldn't cosplay and go to conventions because there would always be people who are wearing a much better version of the cosplay I plan to bring and that it would make me feel inferior. But honestly, it doesn't matter of your skill level or your budget when it comes to cosplay. You're right, it all comes down to having fun smile  

Ghost Girlfriend

Mewling Vampire

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:31 pm
Amethyst Wallflower
I used to think that I shouldn't cosplay and go to conventions because there would always be people who are wearing a much better version of the cosplay I plan to bring and that it would make me feel inferior. But honestly, it doesn't matter of your skill level or your budget when it comes to cosplay. You're right, it all comes down to having fun smile

An Anime / Cosplay Convention for me is an event where people come together and celebrate different series that they like whether it's an Anime, Manga, Video Game, or other type of series. Part of that celebration is honoring a character that you like a lot by wearing a Cosplay outfit of that character.

One of the joys that I have at a con as a photographer is seeing how much effort is put into a Cosplayers outfit. To me it's not how detailed an outfit is that counts it's how much Love that the cosplayer shows for the character by making an effort to look like that character. Some of the biggest smiles that I have gotten in my photos are from people who managed to create an outfit for the first time and it turned out nice. I know that feeling myself when I made my first Anime Cosplay outfit. It didn't matter to me whether I looked the best or the worst. I was at the convention to join in on the fun and dress up as one of my favorite characters. smile  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:33 pm
smithers456
Amethyst Wallflower

An Anime / Cosplay Convention for me is an event where people come together and celebrate different series that they like whether it's an Anime, Manga, Video Game, or other type of series. Part of that celebration is honoring a character that you like a lot by wearing a Cosplay outfit of that character.

One of the joys that I have at a con as a photographer is seeing how much effort is put into a Cosplayers outfit. To me it's not how detailed an outfit is that counts it's how much Love that the cosplayer shows for the character by making an effort to look like that character. Some of the biggest smiles that I have gotten in my photos are from people who managed to create an outfit for the first time and it turned out nice. I know that feeling myself when I made my first Anime Cosplay outfit. It didn't matter to me whether I looked the best or the worst. I was at the convention to join in on the fun and dress up as one of my favorite characters. smile

We're all in this to have fun. To that end it doesn't matter if you cosplay is made or purchased. If you're having fun and smiling (or not, if you're in character), then you're doing it right. There's no quality tag attached to that!  

xinitia

Crew

-------- Cosplayers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces