Wealthy Capitalist

5,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:26 am
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:23 pm
The fin is really good, as is the structure of her fishy abdomen close to the fin. The scructure gets lost in the upper part though (did you intend to just include it through highlights?), and I personally think that you should rework this frilly thing that connects her upper to her lower body. It looks flat and two dimensional, not really defined in space. Generally, the whole picture could do with more contrast in the foreground. The background is much better with this, but in the foreground your values aren't defined well. While her fishy lower part almost loses black, the rest of her body doesn't, even if it should (the way her body casts shadows, the part below her breasts should be way darker). The foreshortening and anatomy really need work as well, especially the foreshortening- her upper body looks awkward and tacked on. Everything but her lower body lacks structure, which destroys the basic harmony. Also, you've drawn her hair in long streaks, but then again colored in single hairs, which looks a bit weird since it mixes two techniques. Her right arm looks incredibly stiff as well, which might be due to bad construction. Her face has a different color than the rest of her body- did you perchance start with it and lost interest in the rest? Shadows and highlights aren't defined all too well there either. Realistic lighting underwater is hell, but here the shadows are basically all over the place, as is the flow/direction of the piece. I think her nose needs some work as well, but can't really comment since her face is drawn in a different style than the rest. This is definitely unfinished.
I'd recommend "Figure Drawing- For all it's worth" by Andrew Loomis, "Digital Painting Techniques Vol 1" (the chapters about portraits are great, especially for finding values and tips for hair).
Which program do you use? If it's Photoshop, don't forget to use the thumbnails. The eyes are pretty cool, but I bet you had the face zoomed in for hours and then lost your overview over the entire piece, didn't you

Cuivie

Sailor Stephy

Obsessive Cultist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:40 pm
Cuivie
The fin is really good, as is the structure of her fishy abdomen close to the fin. The scructure gets lost in the upper part though (did you intend to just include it through highlights?), and I personally think that you should rework this frilly thing that connects her upper to her lower body. It looks flat and two dimensional, not really defined in space. Generally, the whole picture could do with more contrast in the foreground. The background is much better with this, but in the foreground your values aren't defined well. While her fishy lower part almost loses black, the rest of her body doesn't, even if it should (the way her body casts shadows, the part below her breasts should be way darker). The foreshortening and anatomy really need work as well, especially the foreshortening- her upper body looks awkward and tacked on. Everything but her lower body lacks structure, which destroys the basic harmony. Also, you've drawn her hair in long streaks, but then again colored in single hairs, which looks a bit weird since it mixes two techniques. Her right arm looks incredibly stiff as well, which might be due to bad construction. Her face has a different color than the rest of her body- did you perchance start with it and lost interest in the rest? Shadows and highlights aren't defined all too well there either. Realistic lighting underwater is hell, but here the shadows are basically all over the place, as is the flow/direction of the piece. I think her nose needs some work as well, but can't really comment since her face is drawn in a different style than the rest. This is definitely unfinished.
I'd recommend "Figure Drawing- For all it's worth" by Andrew Loomis, "Digital Painting Techniques Vol 1" (the chapters about portraits are great, especially for finding values and tips for hair).
Which program do you use? If it's Photoshop, don't forget to use the thumbnails. The eyes are pretty cool, but I bet you had the face zoomed in for hours and then lost your overview over the entire piece, didn't you

I'm glad you took the time for me to tl;dr!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:57 am
404 error emo

also, shitting on your art could be considered art in and of itself! MIND BLOWN YET?  

Tenacious Travis

Dapper Sex Symbol

8,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Contributor 150

Cuivie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:06 am
Sailor Stephy
Cuivie

I'm glad you took the time for me to tl;dr!

was this actually too long to read for you or am I too tired to get the joke?

I didn't even want to take the title too seriously, but I thought that critique would maybe help you more than just one sentence with a baseless compliment~

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:12 am
So wait he gives you a really well-constructed criticism (after you asked for it) and that makes you take the picture down? ok glad to see we're all adults here  

Undecidability

Shirtless Fairy

9,075 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Literate Spam Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items