Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Midwest Conventions
Shuto Con 2014

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:46 pm
Just wondering if anyone is going to Shuto Con in Lansing Michigan during the first weekend of April. If anyone has gone before please let me know what you thought of it. This will be my second time going. Lansing, MI April 4th-6th 2014 http://www.shutocon.com/  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:37 am
I did , I was a volunteer , what character did you go as?  

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:48 am
nena_sakura

My brother and I had a great time going to Shutocon this year. My brother cosplayed OB1 Kanobi from Star Wars and I cosplayed Syaoran from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. Syaoran happens to be my Gaia Avi as well. smile We went to the Maid Cafe, checked out the Sailor Moon Panel, and had fun buying items at the Dealers room. Later on we checked out some anime in the video rooms.

Being a Cosplay Photographer I was in my glory taking photos of many cosplayers. I just started my Shutocon 2014 album on my Deviant Art page. Their is only 1 photo in it right now but their will be many more when I finish processing and sorting out the photos.

A couple of the special moments for me was finding a Princess Sakura Cosplayer from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, finding a Zarina Fairy Cosplayer from the Disney movie "Pirate Fairy", and both Anna and Elsa cosplayers from the Disney movie "Frozen"

I really felt for the volunteers at this con. It was a really big crowd this year. What area did you volunteer at and did you cosplay a character as well?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:43 am
smithers456
nena_sakura

My brother and I had a great time going to Shutocon this year. My brother cosplayed OB1 Kanobi from Star Wars and I cosplayed Syaoran from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. Syaoran happens to be my Gaia Avi as well. smile We went to the Maid Cafe, checked out the Sailor Moon Panel, and had fun buying items at the Dealers room. Later on we checked out some anime in the video rooms.

Being a Cosplay Photographer I was in my glory taking photos of many cosplayers. I just started my Shutocon 2014 album on my Deviant Art page. Their is only 1 photo in it right now but their will be many more when I finish processing and sorting out the photos.

A couple of the special moments for me was finding a Princess Sakura Cosplayer from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, finding a Zarina Fairy Cosplayer from the Disney movie "Pirate Fairy", and both Anna and Elsa cosplayers from the Disney movie "Frozen"

I really felt for the volunteers at this con. It was a really big crowd this year. What area did you volunteer at and did you cosplay a character as well?

I cosplayed leena lee on Friday and Saturday and Sunday I did shana from shakugan no shana I was the only shana cosplayer the entire con

I saw the princess sakura cosplayer too her dress was cute I took a pic with her

I did stop by the maid cafe and and sailor panel was full so I could not go in so I went to the cosplay contest instead !

I volunteered at con ops, registration, table top gaming and Saturday night rave!  

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:15 pm
nena_sakura
smithers456
nena_sakura

I cosplayed leena lee on Friday and Saturday and Sunday I did shana from shakugan no shana I was the only shana cosplayer the entire con

I saw the princess sakura cosplayer too her dress was cute I took a pic with her

I did stop by the maid cafe and and sailor panel was full so I could not go in so I went to the cosplay contest instead !

I volunteered at con ops, registration, table top gaming and Saturday night rave!

I plan on posting the photo that was taken of me and the Sakura cosplayer on my Deviant Art page soon. When I first saw her I gave her a big hug and we posed together for a couple of photos. What added to the photo was the fact that I was carrying around my Mokona Plushie at the con. Many people recognized me as Syaoran because I had Mokona with me. At the Maid Cafe I propped Mokona up at our table next to me. It made it look like she was also a guest. I teased everyone by saying to watch your food because Mokona might eat it all. LOL  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 pm
Shutocon Reflections:

Hello Everyone,

It's been a few weeks now since I've gone to Shutocon 2014 but I'm still thinking about what I've experienced their. I just started to post photos from this con to my new Deviant Art album, "Shutocon 2014", so make sure to check it out from time to time.

At this con my brother and I went to a "Maid Cafe" for the first time. At first things were confusing due to this also being the first time that this con did a "Maid Cafe", but overall it was a nice experience. It was held in two different rooms. The first room had food waiting to be selected. The food included fruit, Deli wraps, and pieces of cheese cake. In the second room everyone was seated in groups of 8 at 4 tables. What made things interesting was that you had no idea what person or cosplayer you were going to be sitting next to. After everyone was seated we were then served coffee or tea.

Each table had one or two Maids assigned to it and after everyone ate they played games with you. The maids themselves wore typical maid outfits but the outfits themselves were from no particular Anime series. On each table their were sketch pads and coloring books with crayons. The games varied from guessing games like "20 Questions" to drawing on the sketch pads. At my table our maid drew quick drawings of different things without looking, which was funny, and then we played "20 Questions".

For the "20 Questions" game everyone wrote down the name of a common character or person on a sticky note and then passed the note to the person on the left. That person then stuck the note on their forehead without looking. Then everyone took turns asking something about the character who's name was on their sticky note. The idea was to figure out who the character was. Since the character could be anyone or anything it was a hard game to play but the questions that were asked made it fun to play.

Also at the con I checked out the dealers room, artist alley, watched Anime series in a video room, and went to a "Sailor Moon" series panel. I noticed a trend in the dealers room which surprised me. Since their are many conventions now happening at the same time dealers have separated their items to sell into several groups to cover all of the conventions at once. What made it frustrating was that whenever I asked about a specific item to buy the dealer said that it was at a different con. One of the items that I found and was happy to buy was a fully pose-able SHFiguarts Sailor Mars figure.     

In the dealers room I came across Sabina who will be part of a group cosplay that I will be taking photos of at the Jafax con in June. I didn't recognize her at first because the last time that I saw her she was cosplaying an Ariel Mermaid. I have noticed a growing trend at the cons that I have been going to. I'm seeing more and more Disney character Cosplayers. Ones of note were the sisters Anna & Elsa from the movie "Frozen", many of the different Disney princesses, and Disney fairies as well.  I cosplayed Syaoran again from "Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles" and came across a Princess Sakura cosplayer from the same series. My brother took a photo of the two of us and I will be posting that photo in my Deviant Art "My Cosplays" album. Anyone can check out my Deviant Art page. The link is in my signature. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Midwest Conventions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers