Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matope
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:55 pm
User Image

While the rest of the Kin may have forgotten about the Zikwa, they have not forgotten anything.

They live beneath the lands of the Totoma and the Acha and the Kiokote, and in dark underground places on the fringes of the Swamp. In the vast caverns of their secret homes they lead devoted, passionate, introspective lives. The central tenant of their society is love: familial, romantic, erotic. Conflict is nearly unheard-of among them, and when it occurs it tends to be born from passion, not from hate.

The Zikwa elevate the idea of family above all things: one's mate (for lifemating is more common among them than any other race), one's offspring, even one's neighbors take priority above all things, including self-preservation.

And they extend that courtesy to their other Kin as well. Although some strange combination of superstition and supernatural impulse has thus far prevented them from intentionally disclosing their existence, they will emerge from their hiding places after dark where there have been battles and disasters, and they will perform rituals among the dead that they believe speed the soul's flight to next life.

The Zikwa believe intensely and devotedly in the idea of karmic reincarnation, and believe that they themselves are the last stop on the way to universal oneness. When a Zikwa dies it is a time of enormous celebration: when a Zikwa dies it does not have to toil through another existence. Instead it is united with all the Kin that have gone before it, its essence suffused into the earth to sustain the ones that will go after.

Living below ground has made the Zikwa curiously tolerant of extreme temperatures, although it has robbed roughly half of them of sight, with skin filming their shrunken sockets. The other half can still open their eyes, but they are tiny, weak things, unsuited to much other than blurry shapes.

All Zikwa, however, have an intensely sensitive sense of smell that helps them find their way, and all can perceive patterns of light and dark. This latter ability may explain why all Zikwa are born with distinctive glowing patterns in their skin--the only Kin to have such a glow besides Kimeti. These patterns can be used to identify acquaintances at a distance. They also have a weak temperature sensory organ much like a snake (although much less refined) that is useful more in the open than it is in their cave homes, which are densely crowded and hot.

Zikwa do not independently raise their children below ground. Instead, "brood mothers" are appointed to watch over the caverns where eggs are laid. These gleaming, pulsing sacs, secured low to the walls and on ledges, are monitored by the brood mothers until they hatch. They are allowed to join the rest of the Zikwa when they are old enough to tell the brood mother the story of their Naming Dream, a ceremony of great importance.

BATS
Living on underground algae, on plants brought in from nighttime foragers, and on fish caught in underground streams can be strenuous, especially with the large numbers the Zikwa maintain. They are helped, however, by the giant bats that share their caves. These bats form mysterious and unpredictable bonds with individual Zikwa, and will independently bring them food from the outside. They are affectionate creatures, and often rest on their chosen's back, wings draped over the Zikwa's ribs and nose buried in the Zikwa's wrinkled, hairless neck.

CHANGE
With the return of the Totoma, the Crane's family is nearly restored. There remain only the most devoted, those who have patiently served what they feel is their sentence of isolation for their act of unforgivable betrayal in leaving the Swamp. And so some have felt the calling to leave, to emerge into the frightening glare of the sun, and to face down their fear of the sky and the light to find the rest of their beloved family...  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:59 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Zikwa Concept Contest

Ten Zikwa among the many that have arrived are up for grabs. These are the boldest of them, or perhaps the most curious -- you tell us what, exactly, has convinced them to leave their hiding and approach the swamp. For the purpose of this concept contest, we ask that you come up with a name, and give us their dream as they told it to their brood mother.

You may enter up to two times. Your entries can be both female, both male, gender neutral, or one of each--it's entirely up to you. Please post both of your entries in the same post using the following form. You don't have to list every single Zikwa in your preference list--just the ones you are interested in, even if that's just one.

An important note about the Zikwa in particular -- there is no difference, visually, in terms of gender. This means any of these ten could be female, and any male. Some can open their eyes to blink blurrily into the light, and some can't, but it's up to you to decide their gender.

[b]Your username:[/b]
[b]Your preference list:[/b]
[b]Zikwa name:[/b]
[b]Zikwa gender:[/b]
[b]Personality Concept in three words or less:[/b]
[b]Naming dream story:[/b]

First, second, third and fourth place bonus prizes

In addition to winning their Zikwa, the top four favourites as selected by Rejam and Blue will also receive a bat, the mysterious companion creatures of the Zikwa. The first place winner will receive a custom bat colored to coordinate with their Zikwa or one semi-custom bat (specify three colors). Second place will get first pick of the three pictured above, third place will get second choice, and fourth the remainder.

End date TBA, but certainly no sooner than Oct 31!  

Matope
Captain

Lural

Shirtless Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:41 pm
Your username: Lural
Your preference list: 8, 1, 3, 2, 6, 9, 5, 7, 10, 4
Zikwa name: Every drop of Rain
Zikwa gender: (Tentatively) Female
Personality Concept in three words or less: Desperate, gentle
Naming dream story:

It will be worth it to see the world outside the caves...

It is worth risking your life.

It was worth it.

To lie here, gasping for one last breath, to feel the grasses and marsh weeds, to feel the wind...

To feel the water from the sky raining down on her skin. It was as though every single drop could be felt the instant it impacted her flesh. The rain cooled her aching heart. It would be ok. She would become like the rain now. For an instant... to soothe...

And bring comfort...

And then vanish, like every drop of rain.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:51 pm
Your username: Jesters Jingle
Your preference list: 8, 3, 2, 1, 5, 4, 10, 6, 9, 7
Zikwa name: Eye of Terra
Zikwa gender: Female
Personality Concept in three words or less: Fiery, empassioned, artistic
Naming dream story: "I saw a swamp. A bright one, filled with a glowing light that none of us have. It was warm, and it smelled of the cave, and yet there were other things in the air. I didn't know what it was. So I stepped out into the bright glowing light, and I felt the warmth on my fur..." She paused.

"Before long, I heard steps in the ground. Rocks being kicked over, and something making a swishing sound with each step. Whoever it was, they weren't sneaking, and when I flicked an ear in their direction, someone said something to me. They greeted me, and asked me where I'd come from. I told them I came from a non-glowing world, and that their glow was overwhelming. There was a silence, and she sounded concerned when she asked me if I was blind. Blind? I do not even know what that means." She took a moment to think about the term before she continued, but she held in her excitement.

"All I know is that their world was glowing, and it was very, very bright." She paused, and sniffed the air, furrowing her brow, and sniffing the air. "Am I... crazy? Was the dream real?"

Your username: Jesters Jingle
Your preference list: 8, 3, 2, 1, 5, 4, 10, 6, 9, 7
Zikwa name: Eavesdropper
Zikwa gender: Male
Personality Concept in three words or less: Timid, nosy, skulking
Naming dream story: He was hesitant. "I heard voices echoing down the tunnel to here. They were quiet, hushed, and they sounded upset. I listened harder, and I heard someone mention something called grass, and a thing they said was very close to us. I didn't know what they meant, but they seemed agitated, concerned. I pressed my ear against the wall," at this he ducked his head, yet continued.

"One of them said something about a bright glowing, one that wasn't as any of our family. It wasn't a small thing, a pattern. It was an overwhelming ball of yellow glow, something that was so large and bright, it gave off heat." The more he spoke, the less shy he became, and the more he pressed to get his point across. "They described it as the largest thing they'd seen outside of our caves."

"At one point, I tip-toed past them, and tried to find my way out. But I got lost, and so I returned back here. In my mind, I could see the glowing orb and its intensity, and I struggled to find a way to find it myself. But I didn't," he said disappointed, and sat to the floor of the cave, determined to one day find out.  

Lantierum

Shapeshifter

Of The Epidemic

Dapper Phantom

13,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:14 pm
Your username: Of The Epidemic
Your preference list: 10, 3, 1, 8, 9, 7, 2, 6, 5, 4
Zikwa name: Light The Path
Personality Concept in three words or less: Committed, Inspirational, Inquisitive
Naming dream story:

There was the beating of wings, or perhaps it was hooves. He couldn’t tell, he couldn’t see. He was being called, pulled forward towards the glowing in the distance. He couldn’t tell if he was running from something or if he was even really running at all. There was no up and no down just the brightness in the distance and him. There was a pounding in his chest, his heart beating faster and faster, was he getting closer? He couldn’t tell, what was time? What was forward motion or time in this place? Come to think of it what was this place?

Before any of his questions could even begin to be answered the light moved forward, or perhaps he had just finally caught up. Whatever the case it had pulled him into it’s center. There was warmth and a brightness that made his eyes sting and water drip from them. He took a few steps back his feet squishing into soft earth. Slowly the world around him shifted into sharp focus and he could see things he had never seen the like of before.

The world he was in was vibrant and alive with color and there was warmth all around him. There were things he had never even heard of and so much beauty. The sky above him went on forever cast in a blue so bright and cheery it made him smile. Below his hooves was the softest of ground he had ever felt, plush in its greenery and alight with all sorts of smiling bright colors.

He was overloaded, over powered with the sights around him. Then he heard it, he had not been listening before he was so caught up in sight. The sounds of song and the buzzing from bees, there was such a huge influx of sounds he had never heard so crisp and clear. It was as if he had died and reached the ultimate afterlife. His legs wobbled and he slipped to the ground to lie against the earth beneath him.

“A gift for you, young one. See this paradise and share it with others. Weave stories of this place and inspire your brethren to chase the light with you.” The voice called softly from the trees, causing him to turn his head skyward and look. He caught the sight of beautiful feathers before they were falling around him, brushing against his sides lulling him into an even deeper sleep.

Your username: Of The Epidemic
Your preference list: 3, 10, 1, 8, 9, 7, 2, 6, 5, 4
Zikwa name: Walk With Love
Personality Concept in three words or less: Tender, Gentle, Serene
Naming dream story: She was walking, and all around here she could hear screams. Though she could not see anything, there was nothing, but she could tell she was walking. Making forward progress though she wasn't sure through what. It was terrible though, her hooves slipped occasionally on the ground, it was slick but she wasn't sure with what. She could not smell anything and she could not see, but something told her to keep going to keep walking forward.

“Help us.” It was a rasped voice from somewhere off to her left. She twisted her head that way though it would do her no good.

“Hello?” She called into the endless blackness around her.

“Help us.” There were more voices now. Calling out to her from all sides, and she felt something brush her front leg.

“How?” She asked stepping back with a start, her ears twisted forward and backwards in her shock. There was no answer but she felt something against her legs again. They were small whatever they were and they were laying at her feet.

“We are lost. Alone.” The voices called again, two, she thought perhaps more. How dreadful she thought, to be lost and alone. It never occurred to her that she might be lost as well. Just that these... whoever they are were lost and needed her.

“Calm now, you are not alone. I am here. It will be alright little ones.” She lowered her nose to brush against the side of whatever was at her feet. “You can stay with me, and you will not be alone. For I will love you and I will guide you.” She whispered these words softly, and she was not afraid.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:42 pm
Your username: Aric Val
Your preference list: 4, 5, 7, 6, 8, 10, 9, 3, 1, 2
Zikwa name: Blackout
Personality Concept in three words or less: Protective, Defiant, Passionate
Naming dream story:

He could not see yet he could. How the dark shadows seemed to touch and embrace each thing he could not see. How everything was shrouded in black and of infinite nothing. Then a faint whisper that touched his ears, young voices who cried out for protection, for guidance. He was not afraid the least, with each blind step he took, he was more confident, closer to the cries that called out to him. The darkness welcomed him like an old friend, warm and safe. And he stepped into that world with no hesitation to reach those who needed him the most.

Your username: Aric Val
Your preference list: 4, 5, 7, 6, 8, 10, 9, 3, 1, 2
Zikwa name: Finding Light
Zikwa gender: Female (?)
Personality Concept in three words or less: Intellectual, Serious, Patient
Naming dream story:

What she sought was not to be found,
In the sea of dark she was born in
She did not cry, she made no sound.
Though she knew she could not win
The light she felt in her soul, it made her alive.  

Aric Val

Mega Cub

Chrystali

Enigmatic Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:59 pm
Your username: Chrystali
Your preference list: 5, 3, 6, 8, 7, 4, 10, 9, 1, 2
Zikwa name: (#5) Soul and the Sun
Personality Concept in three words or less: Insightful, Encouraging
Naming dream story:

He had looked to the sun, and the sun looked to him.
He could only feel, but the Sun gazed into him.
He bared his soul, and the sun kissed his face.
He was marked, and he belonged to her.

Your username: Chrystali
Your preference list: 5, 3, 6, 8, 7, 4, 10, 9, 1, 2
Zikwa name: (#3) Take Root
Personality Concept in three words or less: Stubborn, Hopeful
Naming dream story:

I must grow.

But the caves were dark and absent of the light she needed to grow. She knew she couldn't stay, but she was shaken by the idea of land scorched by the heat of the sun and frozen beneath the moon. Would it not be acrid? Would it not support her seeking roots?

There is more, she knew, there is someplace else.

And there, at the edge of her vision, the light flooded in, gold and warm. Tentatively, she sampled the heat on her bare skin, could feel her hooves beginning to sink into ground tempered by sun that gave life unknown to her, saturated in the rays of a moon that saw all in the cast of the night.

And here, she thought as she began to feel truly alive. Here.

Here I take root.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:23 pm
Your username: Chibi_Kokoro143
Your preference list: 10, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 7, 9, 2, 1
Zikwa name: Eye of the Dawn
Personality Concept in three words or less: Patient, Sturdy, Cautious
Naming dream story:

The sheltered life is the one I knew

The sounds, taste, and sensations are all the same

But the senses on the outside...?

The music of the wind carrying a lovely tune.

The refreshing feel of the droplets of air.

And even though I cannot see...I feel the warmth of our father sun.

As I step outside for the first time  

Chibi_Kokoro143

Garbage Hoarder

13,875 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Gaian 50

Tygress Dream

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:18 pm
Your username: Tygress Dream
Your preference list: 2, 1, 8, 4, 9
Zikwa name: Solace
Zikwa gender: female
Personality Concept in three words or less: Focused serene healer
Naming dream story:

It seemed like the world opened up before me and I was overwhelmed by sounds and smells and feelings. Slowly I focused and with focus came understanding and with understanding acceptance. The world in its glory surrounded me and I was a part of it. Accepting and accepted I found my Solace and having found it I can share it.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:21 pm
Your username: space crawfish
Your preference list: 5, 7, 4
Zikwa name: Worship the Sun
Personality Concept in three words or less: devoted, gentle, humble
Naming dream story:

Round, perfect, beautiful. The light still burned even when viewed from behind a milky lens of an eyelid, forever closed. Perhaps this was the Her flagellation upon tender skin, Her punishment for a thousand generations forsaking Her touch. Her hot strikes were luxurious kisses bestowed on a body most unworthy. I prostrate myself before Her; adoration overflows from within me. To feel the Sun's caress is pleasure most divine!  

space crawfish

Salty Garbage

Zee Oddwyn

Tenacious Bookworm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:42 pm
Your username: Zee Oddwyn
Your preference list: 5, 10, 8, 9, 1, and 2
Zikwa name: Trembling March
Personality Concept in three words or less: Emotional, Compassionate, Timid
Naming dream story: I was alone. On my own, I stood up, and took a shaky step in the silence. Then another, and another, and another. As I walked, I began to hear others get up. I smelled them as they drew close, and walked with me. All in the same direction. Forward. New ones joined. Some stopped walking. But we were all together. It wasn't... it wasn't just everyone here. It was those above, too. Our ancestors, and everykin that will come after us. Everyone. All walking to eternity together.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:52 pm
Your username: Kalahari-Summers
Your preference list: 5, 9, 7, 1, 8, 2, 3, 6, 4, 10
Zikwa name: Strike Upwards
Personality Concept in three words or less: Curious, listener, open-minded
Naming dream story: Climbing? Yes, that's what he was doing, climbing; his hooves stuck the rocks again and again, up, up, upwards--and then they struck something soft... and as the rich scent of loam and sunlight struck his nose, he knew he'd struck up and out into an entirely new world.

Your username: Kalahari-Summers
Your preference list: 5, 9, 7, 1, 8, 2, 3, 6, 4, 10
Zikwa name: Easy Rhythm
Personality Concept in three words or less: Lively, surefooted, confident
Naming dream story: Clop clop, clop clop.

Shuffle shuffle, swish swish.

Clippity clop, clippity clop, clip clop clop.

It wasn't that hard to keep up with the rest of the world, was it!  

Kalahari-Summers

Wealthy Warrior

10,475 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500

Nyqol

Pyromaniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:20 pm
Your username: Prima Aria
Your preference list: 5, 3, 2, 4, 1, 8, 6, 7, 9, 10
Zikwa name: Sprint or Soul Runner
Personality Concept in three words or less: Curious, focused & gentle
Naming dream story:
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 pm
Your username: SilverShieldwolf
Your preference list: 5, 7, 8, 9, 2, 3, 10, 4, 1, 6
Zikwa name: Face the Day
Personality Concept in three words or less: Klutz, Loyal, Sweet
Naming dream story:
He did it. He didn't remember the actions, but the marks tell the story. He looked around, seeing the shadows of his family; the memories that still kicked him even though he had enough. Sighing he turned to the entrance. There was only one thing left to do. Squaring his shoulders back, held high, he went to Face the Day.  

SilverShieldwolf

Alien Shapeshifter

Hibiscus Mist

Beloved Friend

8,750 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:15 pm
Your username: iHibari Kyoya
Your preference list: 3, 6, 5, 9, 1, 10, 8, 7, 4, 2
Zikwa name: Moon is Heart
Personality Concept in three words or less: Calm, Wanting, loving
Naming dream story: It pulsed. White and shining, red all around, barely pink at the edges, but it pulsed...

The beating like the steady and timed march of so many hooves
One, Two, One, Two....
The white thing in the sky, barely seen from the blackness of the cave...

It pulsed like the heart of the sky, though cold and out of focus.
It was her heart. Her heart in the sky, surrounding all...

One....two.....one.....two....one.......

Her eyes closed and all was black.

Your username: iHibari Kyoya
Your preference list: 3, 6, 5, 9, 1, 10, 8, 7, 4, 2
Zikwa name: Silent Sounds
Personality Concept in three words or less: Quiet, Hard Worker
Naming dream story: It was there but it was not. It was loud but it was quiet. So much yelling but no sound, all the kin screaming at him at once, all the anger and the hate that he could hear but wasn't voiced.

It hurt so bad but it felt right. It felt like that had to be the world for without that moment the world would fall, that everything was wrong....

He opened his mouth to join the screams that were not screams, and add to the sound that did not exist.  
Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff