Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
The Hardest Cosplay Item that you Made or Bought Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

foxdeamon ninja14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:48 am
smithers456

Wow, that had to be quite an undertaking making that gun. Doing something right and paying attention to detail had to be frustrating but I'm sure the end result after hard work was worth it. Boots are hard to find. I know that from personal experience. I went on a quest all over Southeastern Michigan to find mine for my Syaoran outfit. I could have bought it online but it was more fun searching for it.

It was my first time tackling such a big prop type. I've only made small accessories before for previous cosplays so it was quite a challenge.
Oh, yes it was. Everything had to be just right. Couldn't get it wrong. Took me ages to get the stock just right. So much wood was wasted to try and make it. oh yes, after all the shaping, gluing, and painting it came out pretty amazing. i know what you mean. Everyone suggested I buy online, but like with all books and mangas I end up purchasing I find it much better to go personally get. Plus the search although at times maddening can be quite fun. I searched though both my hometown, the next town over, and out over in Texas as well for the boots.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:28 am
Hmm.... In terms of props, it was the keyblade I made with help (it's approximately 4 ft.), but the hardest outfit I had to make was without a doubt, my persona 4 school outfit. The reason? Everything went wrong for unknown reasons.

Both of those will be changed come April. I'm currently making Lucina's outfit and sword from Fire Emblem: Awakening.

To be clear, all of the props I've made have been shaped from wood.

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:29 pm
Son Goshi-kun
Hmm.... In terms of props, it was the keyblade I made with help (it's approximately 4 ft.), but the hardest outfit I had to make was without a doubt, my persona 4 school outfit. The reason? Everything went wrong for unknown reasons.

Both of those will be changed come April. I'm currently making Lucina's outfit and sword from Fire Emblem: Awakening.

That's an amazing skill that you have. You swords have to look incredible. I never cease to be amazed at the skills that cosplayers have. I've seen and taken photos of swords and other items carved out of wood at cons and the detail that they have makes them quite realistic.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:02 am
The hardest piece I have worked on is probably my BRS beast cosplay, everything was made from scratch, but it was a really fun project!

My next project is Shingeki no Kyojin's 3DMG, feeling really excited about it biggrin  

Femme Riddle

5,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:49 pm
smithers456
Son Goshi-kun

That's an amazing skill that you have. You swords have to look incredible. I never cease to be amazed at the skills that cosplayers have. I've seen and taken photos of swords and other items carved out of wood at cons and the detail that they have makes them quite realistic.

I try. They've all turned out pretty good so far, Falchion will be a challenge due to all of the detail work.

Most cons don't allow metal weapons, so we have to make do with what we can. I have no problem with sitting for hours and shaping the wood to look right. Metal files do hurt if you accidently run them over skin though.

Pine wood is soft so it's easy to shape, but strong enough to withstand a lot. It's great to work with. Plastic wood, though it smells terrible, is good for doing detail work because it acts just like wood once it hardens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 pm
Femme Riddle
The hardest piece I have worked on is probably my BRS beast cosplay, everything was made from scratch, but it was a really fun project!

My next project is Shingeki no Kyojin's 3DMG, feeling really excited about it biggrin

Good luck with your new project. Having fun with making your creations is important. You wouldn't want to make it a chore or it get boring if it takes to long. Also getting help can make a difference. When I needed my Syaoran cape made I asked my sister to help out. I can't sew to save my life. LOL She got the pattern and the material. Then she sewed two capes together to make it reversible. Also it made it quite durable and the cape kept me warm in cold weather!!  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:41 pm
I've had several challenges, but there are a couple that stand out above all the rest.

The first was how to make giant collars stand up on their own. My roommate in college cosplayed as Dist from Tales of the Abyss and I cosplay as Iron Fist. Both have RIDICULOUSLY POINTY COLLARS! It took us a good few months, but we finally came up with a system of making a frame out of coat hangers, and inserting it in a fabric sleeve. It takes a while to make, but it's affordable and pretty durable. I've had my same collar for a few years now, and is just now showing some wear.

User Image

My current work in progress is Musica's Silver Ray from Rave Master. I started working on this last May, but had to figure out how to collapse it to fit in my tiny car. Once the designs were drawn up, I ran into the issue of accidentally melting my materials... I can't really afford good material, so I make most of my cosplays out of things around the house or that I can find at thrift stores and hardware stores for cheap. I like how it's turning out! I can't wait to work on it more.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:18 pm
xinitia
I've had several challenges, but there are a couple that stand out above all the rest.

The first was how to make giant collars stand up on their own. My roommate in college cosplayed as Dist from Tales of the Abyss and I cosplay as Iron Fist. Both have RIDICULOUSLY POINTY COLLARS! It took us a good few months, but we finally came up with a system of making a frame out of coat hangers, and inserting it in a fabric sleeve. It takes a while to make, but it's affordable and pretty durable. I've had my same collar for a few years now, and is just now showing some wear.

User Image

My current work in progress is Musica's Silver Ray from Rave Master. I started working on this last May, but had to figure out how to collapse it to fit in my tiny car. Once the designs were drawn up, I ran into the issue of accidentally melting my materials... I can't really afford good material, so I make most of my cosplays out of things around the house or that I can find at thrift stores and hardware stores for cheap. I like how it's turning out! I can't wait to work on it more.

User Image

I Like the collar idea, it's really creative. Making weapons can be a big challenge. A lot of cosplayers have done what you have done and looked around for cheap items to alter. If you haven't tried it out yet you can go on the internet to look for cheap items to use as well. My sister has gotten a lot of gently used items on EBay for instance.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:24 am
smithers456
xinitia

User Image

User Image

I Like the collar idea, it's really creative. Making weapons can be a big challenge. A lot of cosplayers have done what you have done and looked around for cheap items to alter. If you haven't tried it out yet you can go on the internet to look for cheap items to use as well. My sister has gotten a lot of gently used items on EBay for instance.

I'm always on the look out for new things to add to my cosplays. I have my go-to sites, but I always forget to check eBay, though. Thanks for the reminder!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:53 pm
xinitia
smithers456
xinitia

User Image

User Image

I'm always on the look out for new things to add to my cosplays. I have my go-to sites, but I always forget to check eBay, though. Thanks for the reminder!

Always glad to help when I can. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Swibbs

Wealthy Noob

9,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:04 pm
I handmade Matatabi from naruto. And its still not finished. just the head , feet and hands. that took 5 months  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:42 pm
Ashes Of A Princess
I handmade Matatabi from naruto. And its still not finished. just the head , feet and hands. that took 5 months

Naruto is one of my favorite series. If I cosplay any of it's characters it would be Sasuke. Yeah I know what you mean about taking a long time to create an outfit, especially if you want it to look just like the character that you are portraying. Good luck on finding everything else that you to complete your outfit.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Swibbs

Wealthy Noob

9,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:49 pm
smithers456
Ashes Of A Princess

Naruto is one of my favorite series. If I cosplay any of it's characters it would be Sasuke. Yeah I know what you mean about taking a long time to create an outfit, especially if you want it to look just like the character that you are portraying. Good luck on finding everything else that you to complete your outfit.

Thanks!  
-------- Cosplayers

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces