Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Since when is my store a freaking Shelter!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:01 pm
Beware the vent.

Okay, so not long after the new owner took over the store I work at, she started fostering dogs. She would take them home at night, but in the day, they were at the store getting exposure. She fostered two different dogs, and then...I came in one day and there were 8 dogs living in the store. And no, these 8 dogs did not go home with her. So at the start of my shift, there was 8 dogs to feed and walk. This was...an emergency situation, as their original foster (a woman with 13 dogs in her house) was in the hospital after being bit. Slowly we got more suitable foster homes or adopters for these dogs. Now there are two left of the original 8. Except with only two left, she ended up taking in yet another, and then throwing two cats into the mix. And now, a moma dog and her two pups. INFESTED with ticks. That makes for a total of 5 dogs and 3 cats living in the store NOT including the foster dog that goes home with her. And the newcomers, are apparently infested with ticks. Which means my place of work is now contaminated.

So, I can bring the dogs who've been coming home with me at night, there for the day tomorrow, and then likely not bring her home again for fear of her picking up ticks at the store and bringing them home. Or I leave her at my house, alone, where she will have no exposure at all and probably be stuck in a crate all day.

I'm really fed up now. Like, helping animals is great and all, but this is ridiculous. It's a place of business. Not a god damn shelter for this kikodogrescue woman to dump her dogs.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:55 am
im sorry. how can anyone have 13 dogs at their house? is that legal?  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:39 am
Shanna66

In Miami, Fl, you're only allowed to have 4... <.<  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:42 am
Akari_32
Shanna66

In Miami, Fl, you're only allowed to have 4... <.<

same here in va  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:00 pm
here, you can have a lot as long as you get a kennel license..we were actually over our limit for like 2 years, you can have 3, any more, and you need a kennel license.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:01 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Beware the vent.

Okay, so not long after the new owner took over the store I work at, she started fostering dogs. She would take them home at night, but in the day, they were at the store getting exposure. She fostered two different dogs, and then...I came in one day and there were 8 dogs living in the store. And no, these 8 dogs did not go home with her. So at the start of my shift, there was 8 dogs to feed and walk. This was...an emergency situation, as their original foster (a woman with 13 dogs in her house) was in the hospital after being bit. Slowly we got more suitable foster homes or adopters for these dogs. Now there are two left of the original 8. Except with only two left, she ended up taking in yet another, and then throwing two cats into the mix. And now, a moma dog and her two pups. INFESTED with ticks. That makes for a total of 5 dogs and 3 cats living in the store NOT including the foster dog that goes home with her. And the newcomers, are apparently infested with ticks. Which means my place of work is now contaminated.

So, I can bring the dogs who've been coming home with me at night, there for the day tomorrow, and then likely not bring her home again for fear of her picking up ticks at the store and bringing them home. Or I leave her at my house, alone, where she will have no exposure at all and probably be stuck in a crate all day.

I'm really fed up now. Like, helping animals is great and all, but this is ridiculous. It's a place of business. Not a god damn shelter for this kikodogrescue woman to dump her dogs.

Not to mention isn't this a pet store where people can bring their own dogs in? She's putting all of your clients in danger of ilness, parasitic infection, and possible other harm. Perhaps you should point out that if people take their dogs there, and take them home and find a tick and that was the only place their dogs had been it reflects poorly on the store and could cost business. I'm sure that one or two fosters getting socialization while at the store is alright, but nobody wants to be mobbed by a pack when they walk in the door. 2 of my current 3 are not exactly friendly with other dogs, but not really reactive either, I won't take them to stores if I know there's more than 1 or 2 dogs in there.  

Akiska

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:34 am
No it is NOT legal. Which is exactly why the woman running this rescue is a NUT JOB! She dumped 8 of her dogs in ONE person's house to be fostered along with 4 of her own and a foster from another rescue. And then she says she hadn't realized it had gotten so bad (the floors had to be torn out it reeked of ammonia) well NO s**t! 13 dogs in a house. What did you think??? And now the city had been made aware so not only were all the foster dogs not returned to her, she lots one of her own 4 dogs cause she's only allowed 3.

I'm expecting the city to come after my store soon, or at least the landlord. We have already lost clients but the groomer won't say anything to our boss cause she's too worried it ill turn against her and somehow be made her fault. So I'm alone in confronting her. She was not at work yesterday so I called her to ask her what was going on, and when she asked why, I explained that I was NOT booking grooms while dogs with unknown health status were living in the store and so I needed to know what was happening because people want to know when they can come for grooming. She told me she just woke up and did not have an answer for me and then hung up.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:57 am
As much as I hate to say it, it might come down to the welfare of the dogs situation and the person bringing in the dogs needs to be reported. You are looking out for both your own animals, client animals, and the animals being taken in well being. I'd try to talk to her a few more times and see if it can be settled before bringing in authorities  

Akiska

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:22 pm
I tried talking to her, and now I no longer work for her. She said theyve been to the vet now and the vet said the ticks are not contagious, they don't jump to other dogs and if they fall off they will just die. (This is not what I learned, am I wrong? But don't ticks LAY EGGS and then crawl up wtv dog is nearby?) And when I brought up the potential for Parvo she just said dogs come in and out every day and any of them could have it.

Then she said it wasn't for me to decide what was best for the store and that this wasn't working out. I agreed, and I left. I'm working maybe two or three more days this week and then I'm done.

I kind of feel like my life is falling apart right now. First Rascal and now this. Tell me honestly, did I over react? Was I wrong in thinking it's not safe for those dogs to be living in the store?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:18 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I tried talking to her, and now I no longer work for her. She said theyve been to the vet now and the vet said the ticks are not contagious, they don't jump to other dogs and if they fall off they will just die. (This is not what I learned, am I wrong? But don't ticks LAY EGGS and then crawl up wtv dog is nearby?) And when I brought up the potential for Parvo she just said dogs come in and out every day and any of them could have it.

Then she said it wasn't for me to decide what was best for the store and that this wasn't working out. I agreed, and I left. I'm working maybe two or three more days this week and then I'm done.

I kind of feel like my life is falling apart right now. First Rascal and now this. Tell me honestly, did I over react? Was I wrong in thinking it's not safe for those dogs to be living in the store?
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

I'm really sorry about everything that's been happening. I was especially sorry to hear about Rascal's passing-- I know how dedicated you are and how much love you have for your furry children.

Whether or not you overreacted... TBH, it doesn't sound to me like you did. In a healthy work environment, you should be able to voice your concerns-- especially when it comes to safety. And that goes doubly so when it concerns the safety of customers, triply (is that a word?) so when it comes to animals, because they DEPEND on us to keep them out of harm's way. Those dogs don't have the power to say, "I'd rather not put myself at risk for ticks or other nasty things, I'm going to get out of this situation." They have to depend on people for that.

It's really sad that the new owner reacted the way she did. Both for you and the animals. I couldn't imagine bringing up such a concern to my managers and having them brush me off like that. I really admire the fact that you went ahead and said something, knowing what kind of person she is. It shows a lot of character that you were willing to stand up for the welfare of these animals even in the face of those repercussions.

Now that you're leaving, would you be willing to report the store to the city?

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:43 pm
Celestial Fireflies
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

I'm really sorry about everything that's been happening. I was especially sorry to hear about Rascal's passing-- I know how dedicated you are and how much love you have for your furry children.

Whether or not you overreacted... TBH, it doesn't sound to me like you did. In a healthy work environment, you should be able to voice your concerns-- especially when it comes to safety. And that goes doubly so when it concerns the safety of customers, triply (is that a word?) so when it comes to animals, because they DEPEND on us to keep them out of harm's way. Those dogs don't have the power to say, "I'd rather not put myself at risk for ticks or other nasty things, I'm going to get out of this situation." They have to depend on people for that.

It's really sad that the new owner reacted the way she did. Both for you and the animals. I couldn't imagine bringing up such a concern to my managers and having them brush me off like that. I really admire the fact that you went ahead and said something, knowing what kind of person she is. It shows a lot of character that you were willing to stand up for the welfare of these animals even in the face of those repercussions.

Now that you're leaving, would you be willing to report the store to the city?

I still dunno if I have it in me to do that to her. She might think I'm doing it out of spite. If the store is going under, I don't need her blaming me for it. My brother suggested I request she mark down lack of work as a reason for terminating my employment. This way I can collect EI and I don't have to get her in trouble with anyone. He suggested to explain to her if I apply for employment insurance and explain the details of my quitting, or being fired, or wtv the hell just happened. That it could actually result in her getting in trouble for keeping animals in the store. So it would be in both of our interest if she just marked that she didn't have enough work to keep me. I'll try and bring that up.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:18 pm
Please forgive me for being off topic, but is this the store that Bindi lives in? If so, and they go belly up, what will happen to her? gonk  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:50 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Please forgive me for being off topic, but is this the store that Bindi lives in? If so, and they go belly up, what will happen to her? gonk

Yes, Bindi lives there. And the other day I found her locked outside while the two adoption cats had free roam of the store. I was pissed. Not to mention, she often has no fresh water, and no one but me has ever bothered to scoop her litter. So I'm really sad about leaving her behind. If the store goes under, I assume they will find a home for her. In an emergency situation I hope they know I would take her. But she belongs to the store and I can't take her just cause I don't like how they care for her.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:35 pm
Regardless of what she thinks the welfare of the animals has to be taken into consideration. The fact that the "Vet" said ticks don't live if they fall off a dog is bull, ticks can live for up to 10 months off of a dog, BEFORE they need to feed again. The fact that she is also locking out an adopted animal and the cat is receiving no care other than from you and you no longer work there? You assume they will find her a new home, but they're obviously not doing so with these dogs they keep bringing in, otherwise they'd be in home foster already.  

Akiska

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:17 pm
Awww poor Bindi, I hope she will be ok, and I hope things get sorted out for all the dogs  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games