Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
African Dwarf Frog having fun... playing dead?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:07 pm
I got two corydoras and an african dwarf frog to keep my betta company (and they all get along great).
Then I thought they all looked bored, so I put a bubbler in. And they've all been having fun floating through it, being pushed to the surface, just generally having a great time.

About a week ago the frog started doing it too, in a way. Except instead of swimming all through it, he just floats around aimlessly. Looking very dead. It's not like he's staying right side up, he's literally floating aimlessly. Just when I think he's dead, he lands on something and springs himself away using his feet back into the water to float around some more.

Anyone else have a frog that does this? I've had a few african dwarf frogs before this one, and they mostly just hung out quietly somewhere all day. So this behavior's a huge change to me.

Biggest worry is when I see him stuck to the side of the filter. Then I think maybe he really is dead. No, and it's not even like he has trouble getting away from it. Could he seriously just be being lazy and resting on it, letting it's natural suction keep him there?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:05 am
I don't know much about African Dwarf frogs.. I've never had them. I've thought about getting some at some point though, but I'm not ready for them yet. It sounds like it is quite amusing to watch! You should record it! biggrin He very well could be being quite lazy. XD  

CrissAngelLover12345

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:36 am
My personal frogs don't do that but at our store they do this ALL. THE. TIME.

Customer: I think this frog is deaaad...
Me: He's probably just--
Customer: No really, this frog is dead!
Me: Well, alright. *Grabs net and gets near frog*
Frog: NO NO I WAS JUST PLAYING I'M NOT DEAD!
Customer: Oh!! I guess you were right.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:24 pm
my frog likes to just float around, spread eagle, and I'm always worried he's croaked, no pun intended, but then he suddenly springs to life.  

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Ailinea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:49 pm
This whole thread is making me actually laugh out loud. I love this guild. I hope you get a video of this, it sounds extremely entertaining.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games