Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
More Non Cosplayers at a Con - A new Trend? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:40 pm
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99
Yes it is growing, but for a good reason.

First of all the Anime culture is growing and fast. Those people are still new so they haven't started on cosplay yet.

Other reason is money. A lot of fans are under age when it comes to working and some of them are having money troubles.

I really like your answer to my question. Yes the Anime culture is growing by leaps and bounds. I'm taking my almost 13 year old niece and her 14 year old friend to the Youmacon convention in Detroit this year. Just like me they both really like Naruto. I can't wait to show them this world. They are too young to make or buy a Cosplay outfit this year but I feel that they may become future Cosplayers. I hope that the economy improves soon. In the meantime just going to an anime convention is a special treat whether they are a Cosplayer or not.

My first con's I didn't cosplay. I've been going since 2008 (I know not that long), and didn't start cosplay till last year. I think it's easier for me because I have a lot of friends and I'm on the older side, compared to my sister.

I didn't start going to Anime cons until 2009 and I only have 3 outfits. As for being older can you believe that I'm going to be 49 years old next year? I remember watching one of my favorite Anime's, Sailor Moon, when it came out in the USA back in 1995. That was the same year that I was married. I just celebrated 17 years of marrage. I have a great time taking pics of other Cosplayers and my best Cosplay outfit so far is Syaoran from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. If you don't mind talking to an "older" big Anime fan please answer my friendship request. If you don't accept I understand. You can't be too careful these days. At the least please check out my Profile page and my guild. Just click on the banner on my signature to check out my Role Play guild.

I'm about 27 years younger than you. I'm 22, but I'm one of the older anime cosplayers in my area. I have 4 now and I'm going to work on Botan from YYH soon.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 pm
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99

First of all the Anime culture is growing and fast. Those people are still new so they haven't started on cosplay yet.

Other reason is money. A lot of fans are under age when it comes to working and some of them are having money troubles.

I really like your answer to my question. Yes the Anime culture is growing by leaps and bounds. I'm taking my almost 13 year old niece and her 14 year old friend to the Youmacon convention in Detroit this year. Just like me they both really like Naruto. I can't wait to show them this world. They are too young to make or buy a Cosplay outfit this year but I feel that they may become future Cosplayers. I hope that the economy improves soon. In the meantime just going to an anime convention is a special treat whether they are a Cosplayer or not.

My first con's I didn't cosplay. I've been going since 2008 (I know not that long), and didn't start cosplay till last year. I think it's easier for me because I have a lot of friends and I'm on the older side, compared to my sister.

I didn't start going to Anime cons until 2009 and I only have 3 outfits. As for being older can you believe that I'm going to be 49 years old next year? I remember watching one of my favorite Anime's, Sailor Moon, when it came out in the USA back in 1995. That was the same year that I was married. I just celebrated 17 years of marrage. I have a great time taking pics of other Cosplayers and my best Cosplay outfit so far is Syaoran from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. If you don't mind talking to an "older" big Anime fan please answer my friendship request. If you don't accept I understand. You can't be too careful these days. At the least please check out my Profile page and my guild. Just click on the banner on my signature to check out my Role Play guild.

I'm about 27 years younger than you. I'm 22, but I'm one of the older anime cosplayers in my area. I have 4 now and I'm going to work on Botan from YYH soon.

Yes I'm quite a bit older than the usual Cosplayer. At the cons I feel like a kid again. I use to go to and work at Star Trek cons many years ago and missed the fun. Since I happen to have a growing interest in Anime I decided to give the Anime cons a try and I'm very happy that I did.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:05 pm
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99

Yes I'm quite a bit older than the usual Cosplayer. At the cons I feel like a kid again. I use to go to and work at Star Trek cons many years ago and missed the fun. Since I happen to have a growing interest in Anime I decided to give the Anime cons a try and I'm very happy that I did.

I agree. I don't have to worry about college just for a couple of days at least and relax. I started at a Sci-fi con before I did anime.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:19 pm
Money. School. Time. Other poop.
I've taken a year off of cosplay just because I can't find a good job because every interview I've been to wants experience over a university degree. Even the Master's degree is pointless when going up again someone with as little as four years experience with no degree. So now I get to go back to school and get a trade school degree that I can actually use around here since gaining experience is part of the curriculum. Really thinking about doing my friend did and just going over seas as an ESL teacher.

Just using the same cosplays.
I nice thing I'm doing is cosplaying the same character but in different outfits so that I can reuse the wig. The nice thing is that the characters I have wigs for wear a lot of different outfits. The bad thing is that I'm running out of the cheap to make ones TnT  

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:09 pm
ll dell Orso ll
Money. School. Time. Other poop.
I've taken a year off of cosplay just because I can't find a good job because every interview I've been to wants experience over a university degree. Even the Master's degree is pointless when going up again someone with as little as four years experience with no degree. So now I get to go back to school and get a trade school degree that I can actually use around here since gaining experience is part of the curriculum. Really thinking about doing my friend did and just going over seas as an ESL teacher.

Just using the same cosplays.
I nice thing I'm doing is cosplaying the same character but in different outfits so that I can reuse the wig. The nice thing is that the characters I have wigs for wear a lot of different outfits. The bad thing is that I'm running out of the cheap to make ones TnT

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time getting a job. When I started out in the Manufacturing World they liked the fact that I had a degree but was passed over due to having no experience. In my field their are temp agencies that help people get the experience that's needed by sending them as temps to client companies. That helped me out a lot. Good luck in your search. smile

I have a Cosplay friend who likes Final Fantasy a lot. She can recycle outfits to make new ones, and has done the same character that is from different versions of Final Fantasy!!  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff