Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
More Non Cosplayers at a Con - A new Trend? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:55 am
I recently came back from a con where their were a lot less people wearing Cosplay outfits than the year before at the same con. sad For me. Seeing Cosplayers dressed up in their finest outfits is one of the things that's really exciting for me to see at Anime / Cosplay cons. biggrin

It makes me wonder why their are more Non Cosplayers going to Anime cons now. Are more con goers having a harder time coming up with outfits due to the economy or is the cons just drawing in more people that are just interested in Anime in general and not Cosplaying?

Is this a new trend? What are your thoughts.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:55 pm
My guess is that it's hard to keep up due to the economy.  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 pm
Sifen Yamishi
My guess is that it's hard to keep up due to the economy.

Yeah, the economy is definately one of the things these days that not only keep people away from cons and making Cosplay outfits. sad Hopefully things will turn around soon. smile One of the things that I really like about the Jafax con is that both the parking and admission are free!! That's due to it being at a college campus. If you are strapped for cash going to a con at a college campus is the way to go. Also, since I don't have to pay an admission I can save my penny's for stuff!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:37 am
I honestly think it's the economy. Fabric is getting really expensive and finding a job is getting harder than it use to be. I remember going to a con two years ago and seeing beautifully made costumes but now that I go, but now people either don't cosplay or do but the costume doesn't look as fantastic.  

SaltyCheerio

Witty Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 pm
Tohru_bunny
I honestly think it's the economy. Fabric is getting really expensive and finding a job is getting harder than it use to be. I remember going to a con two years ago and seeing beautifully made costumes but now that I go, but now people either don't cosplay or do but the costume doesn't look as fantastic.

Yes, fabric and other items are getting both harder to find and more expensive to buy. Deals can still be found through E-Bay, thrift shops, consignments, and buyimg used outfits at cons. It took me the better part of a year to find and make everything needed for my Syaoran Cosplay outfit.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:57 pm
It's called a shitty economy and not being skilled with needles and thread. I've just learned to recycle my cosplays.

Yandere-San

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:11 pm
Harley Hearts Mr J
It's called a shitty economy and not being skilled with needles and thread. I've just learned to recycle my cosplays.

Recyling Cosplay's is a good idea or even taking parts of different ones and coming up with a new Cosplay outfit (If possible). I'm not good with sewing either that's why I give my sister credit for doing the sewing for me. I hope that the economy picks up so that Cosplaying can get back to it was years ago. smile Being in a group of Cosplayers can help out a lot because you can get help with putting together outfits and share the cost. A friend of mine does just that and it works out great. XD Now all I need to do is find a group of Cosplayers to join.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:15 pm
smithers456

Btw I LOVE your avi companion. I haven't seen one of those in YEARS!

I know what you mean, though sad I want to do SO many cosplays but I don't have the money and I can't make it myself. I've been re-using my Riza, Alice, and USS cosplays for the past two years mad

Yandere-San

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:10 pm
I never really cosplay, I usually just cosplay for a bit then change or hang out in my hotel room the entire day.
I assume most people aren't cosplaying either because of money, did not have enough time to finish one or are just starting to go to cons.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:59 pm
Harley Hearts Mr J
smithers456

Btw I LOVE your avi companion. I haven't seen one of those in YEARS!

I know what you mean, though sad I want to do SO many cosplays but I don't have the money and I can't make it myself. I've been re-using my Riza, Alice, and USS cosplays for the past two years mad

Thanks for the complement about my AVI. When I found Gwendy in the Marketplace I had to adopt her. smile I hope that things change in the coming years so that people can Cosplay more often.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:04 pm
Extreme master of flames
I never really cosplay, I usually just cosplay for a bit then change or hang out in my hotel room the entire day.
I assume most people aren't cosplaying either because of money, did not have enough time to finish one or are just starting to go to cons.

I have gone to and worked at a lot of Star Trek cons in the past. Most of the people at those cons did not dress up as Star Trek characters. They simply went to the cons. I only have 3 Cosplay outfits at this time. At Youmacon coming up in November I may just wear an old Youmacon or Jafax Con shirt. I really like the Jafax con shirt that I got at that con in June, It's a black shirt with a blue outline of the girl that's the "mascot" of the con. The shirt is pretty neat.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 am
Yes it is growing, but for a good reason.

First of all the Anime culture is growing and fast. Those people are still new so they haven't started on cosplay yet.

Other reason is money. A lot of fans are under age when it comes to working and some of them are having money troubles.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:22 pm
angelmage99

First of all the Anime culture is growing and fast. Those people are still new so they haven't started on cosplay yet.

Other reason is money. A lot of fans are under age when it comes to working and some of them are having money troubles.

I really like your answer to my question. Yes the Anime culture is growing by leaps and bounds. I'm taking my almost 13 year old niece and her 14 year old friend to the Youmacon convention in Detroit this year. Just like me they both really like Naruto. I can't wait to show them this world. They are too young to make or buy a Cosplay outfit this year but I feel that they may become future Cosplayers. I hope that the economy improves soon. In the meantime just going to an anime convention is a special treat whether they are a Cosplayer or not.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:26 pm
smithers456
angelmage99

I really like your answer to my question. Yes the Anime culture is growing by leaps and bounds. I'm taking my almost 13 year old niece and her 14 year old friend to the Youmacon convention in Detroit this year. Just like me they both really like Naruto. I can't wait to show them this world. They are too young to make or buy a Cosplay outfit this year but I feel that they may become future Cosplayers. I hope that the economy improves soon. In the meantime just going to an anime convention is a special treat whether they are a Cosplayer or not.

My first con's I didn't cosplay. I've been going since 2008 (I know not that long), and didn't start cosplay till last year. I think it's easier for me because I have a lot of friends and I'm on the older side, compared to my sister.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:36 pm
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99

My first con's I didn't cosplay. I've been going since 2008 (I know not that long), and didn't start cosplay till last year. I think it's easier for me because I have a lot of friends and I'm on the older side, compared to my sister.

I didn't start going to Anime cons until 2009 and I only have 3 outfits. As for being older can you believe that I'm going to be 49 years old next year? I remember watching one of my favorite Anime's, Sailor Moon, when it came out in the USA back in 1995. That was the same year that I was married. I just celebrated 17 years of marrage. I have a great time taking pics of other Cosplayers and my best Cosplay outfit so far is Syaoran from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. If you don't mind talking to an "older" big Anime fan please answer my friendship request. If you don't accept I understand. You can't be too careful these days. At the least please check out my Profile page and my guild. Just click on the banner on my signature to check out my Role Play guild.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff