Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Clio: the muse of History

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:14 pm
Earlier this year I had a college class pertaining to Ancient and Medieval History. One of the chapters we covered was ancient Greek and Hellenistic religion/culture. We covered the muses, figures with an attachment/association with certain areas of the arts (music, dance, poetry etc. etc. etc.) One of the muses was the Muse of History named Clio and I felt a strong connection to her...mostly because I'm majoring in history, plan on being a history teacher and have informally called myself a "historian" for most of my young life.

I instantly felt a strong connection with her and consider her a "patron" of sorts because of my passion of history and my future ambitions. I haven't been able to find much information on her (or a little statue I could buy for my altar lol) and was wondering if anyone here had any information they could pass along on Clio or of any similar topics.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:09 pm
Well here's some info on her  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:37 pm

thanks, its a start! Since she's a lower class religious figure (in comparison to zeus, hades etc. not trying to demean her or anyone else) I didn't expect to get to much in depth information.

I still would like to get her into my own "pantheon" so to speak and expand my religious circle, this seems to be a good start to it.

smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 pm
caesar821

thanks, its a start! Since she's a lower class religious figure (in comparison to zeus, hades etc. not trying to demean her or anyone else) I didn't expect to get to much in depth information.

I still would like to get her into my own "pantheon" so to speak and expand my religious circle, this seems to be a good start to it.

smile

Did you read up on how to worship tutelary deities?
I think I saw Nuri mention that Greek deities like orthopraxis- so be careful about decontextualizing her.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:49 pm
Esiris
caesar821

smile

I think I saw Nuri mention that Greek deities like orthopraxis- so be careful about decontextualizing her.

I am not familiar with tutelary deity worship or orthopraxis but some preliminary research pretty much is telling me to worship the figure/entity with in its normal parameters. Clio= history.

I'm assuming so if I'm wrong please tell me so....  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:58 pm
caesar821
Esiris
caesar821

smile

I am not familiar with tutelary deity worship or orthopraxis but some preliminary research pretty much is telling me to worship the figure/entity with in its normal parameters. Clio= history.

A tutelary (also tutelar) is a deity or spirit who is a guardian, patron or protector of a particular place, geographic feature, person, lineage, nation, culture or occupation.

Orthopraxis literally means right practice.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:01 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
caesar821
Esiris
caesar821

smile

A tutelary (also tutelar) is a deity or spirit who is a guardian, patron or protector of a particular place, geographic feature, person, lineage, nation, culture or occupation.

i see.....so would there be a certain method to worship something like a muse? is it worshiped in a similar manner to that of a god/goddess?

At this point I'm still figuring out the "logistics" and such or trying to work it into my 'system' (if that makes any sense lol XP)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:12 pm
caesar821
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
caesar821
Esiris
caesar821

smile

i see.....so would there be a certain method to worship something like a muse? is it worshiped in a similar manner to that of a god/goddess?

At this point I'm still figuring out the "logistics" and such or trying to work it into my 'system' (if that makes any sense lol XP)
Its possible. But I wouldn't know for sure. Sponde was one of the links that Nuri gave me when I asked about Hellenic practices. I haven't completely read it. But it does have a section on practices.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:18 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
caesar821
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
caesar821
Esiris

Its possible. But I wouldn't know for sure. Sponde was one of the links that Nuri gave me when I asked about Hellenic practices. I haven't completely read it. But it does have a section on practices.

hmmm...ill start looking through this site. maybe send word to Nuri as well to get some more insight. I'm assuming she is a Hellenic (if that's the proper term)  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games