Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Artist Alley | Cosplay Commisioners | Buying Cosplays
Artist Alley questions from a Newbie

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

inky_T.A.E.

Dapper Conventioneer

9,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:35 pm
I'm thinking of trying to sell in artist alley for the 1st time and could use some tips and advice, as I know nothing about having a table or selling crafts. I'm most concerned about the rules/laws, for example, do artists need to have an established business? Do they need a permit? What about taxes?
I'm a pretty good sales person, I've done well with fundraisers, but I've never sold my own homemade products before and have no idea what the rules are.
I live in the U.S.A.'s Midwest region and would like any help or direction in this reguard, as trouble is not my middle name. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:17 pm
Do you need to be an established business: No, you do not, the cons will ask though for photos of your work to make sure it complies with the AA's ruling on art.

Do you need a permit: YES. they will ask for a copy. you can obtain a temporary permit from the Sellers Permit website for your state, the permits are free! you just need to keep record of any profits you make for tax time.

Sales tax: this is completely up to you, while most places require it you can actually just add the sales tax into the price of the item with out having to worry about it later. AA staffers are not going to come around and ask you about your prices and profits.  

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Artist Alley | Cosplay Commisioners | Buying Cosplays

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items