Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Do my parents know? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hashtagihateit

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:10 pm
ZachariaAliankar
Both my parents know! Yay!

Yay!  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:12 pm
The Bodacious Soul Reaper
I agree with you, I believe mothers always know, but I think the one's who "didn't know" per say, simply didn't want to believe it, or just thought it was a thought, and not actually real.
My family, that's a long story xD To keep it short, I live in the south, so we have "bible thumpers here" so it was a bit difficult, but now I am out to my entire family, friends, everyone.

Be a fierce thumper...

that didn't quite make as much sense as I wanted it to.

Regardless, anyone who's a d**k just make them Gaaag dahhling.  

Hashtagihateit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:57 pm
My mother knows. She caught me being kissed by a guy friend when I was about 16. I don't think she approves, but she is tolerant. We've never actually talked about my sexuality, although it's not a secret or anything. I've just never actually said "I'm queer" and I've never heard her refer to me as gay/queer/not-straight/etc.

She has never said anything negative (or positive) about my orientation at all. She's always been perfectly polite and friendly to any of my significant others that she's met. I appreciate that she makes the effort even though she believes my "choices" are immoral. I'm fine with this, although LGBT anything is kind of a taboo subject at home. We just...don't talk about it.

My dad is another story. I've been out for about long as he's known me. razz He got together with my mother right before I turned 16, and he's the best father anyone could ask for. It must have been rough, suddenly going from having no kids, to being a kind of father-figure for three teenagers (one of which was an absolute nightmare).

My younger brother was initially a jerk about the whole thing, but as he's gotten older, his beliefs have matured. I don't think my sexuality is an issue any longer.
My twin brother has never really cared one way or another, and isn't quite straight himself. He isn't out to anyone except me and a past boyfriend, though, and has no interest in being out. He has found that he generally prefers women, though, so it might be a non-issue.

My little sister is only 4, and I'm not sure when or how our parents will broach the subject with her.  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:20 pm
RavennaGrimoire
iLuV Muzics

Yes well, the Aunt I mentioned has offered for me to come live with here and the family. My best friends older sister said If I need a place to stay I can stay with them as well.
I have accepted that this is an inevitable event in my life. I will be homeless, for a while at least. But I'm planning for it. When it happens, I will have all my things of value in my car. I will pawn them,except my laptop and phone, which I need to job hunt. I will use that money for gas in my car, so that I can keep it, and use it once I have a job. I am hoping my mother will sign my car over to me, incase things don't work out, that way I can live in my car.
It's not the life anyone should have to live, but I will if I must.

iLuV Muzics

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

On_A_Cold_Stormy_Night

Beloved Phantom

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:24 pm
My mom only knows....don't wanna tell my dad...he may tease me...  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:13 pm
woah......
first off, my response to the topic:
i came out to my family. my twin brother was ok (teasing terror) and my dad was totally cool. mum was awful. but that was a yr ago and recently my brother forced us into it and i told her again. that time she was cool with it. on the outside. i still think she hates it......

now. the woah. i see quite the hate for bible thumpers and 'bad parents'. ok, i know people like that are cruel, but being cruel back doesn't help.....mpeople reject LGBT for their own reasons, and they believe in them, just like bible people, you can try to open thier minds but you can't force anyone to be accepting. and being cruel or unaccepting back is counter-productive.....  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Hip Like Junk

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:31 pm
I'm a closet case. But I'm sure they know. Or suspect at least. I don't hide my Rachel Maddow obsession, I don't hide my gay-rights-supportingness. In the past I've made "I don't like nuts" jokes to my mom (she offered me some mixed nuts ha and ew, I really don't like them). So I'm sure it's crossed everyone's mind.

I don't talk to my mom anymore, but my dad means a lot to me. And I'm not sure how he would react... If he didn't accept me, I would be truly devastated.  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:41 pm
My mom pretty much said, "No offense, sweetie, but no duh."
My dad's caught me looking at lesbian liturature sites and I have posters of girls on my wall, but we don't talk about it- I think we're in silent agreement that if we talk about it, then he'll have to defend me to our more 'conservative' relatives, and I don't want to put him in that position.
My brothers are exactly the same as before, "Hey, are you letting anybody hit that yet?" (ugh...but love heart )
My grandma keeps trying to introduce me to boys, but every time a preacher says something anti-gay, she offers to take me to another church. We've been to five now. I believe in God, but I'm not strictly religious.
All of my friends and cousins know, the older ones don't approve, but the older aunts and uncles don't know.  

CarpeTempus

Sinna Roll

Bashful Warrior

13,075 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:52 pm
RavennaGrimoire
mehwuvzgurlz
I'm still in the closet- to most people. I've told a couple of people, not many. I'm not sure when I'm gonna tell anyone, though. None of them cared. (I'm kinda scared to tell my friends- a few of them are Christians, so yeah. But they don't seem like the hardcore 'you're going to hell' type. So I'm not sure sad

Tell 'em, if they have a problem, tell 'em to ******** off.

If they aren't willing to accept you for who you are, and somehow would rather the company of the pages of a book of fairy tales over an actual person who cares about them, then you don't need them, they're a waste.

Just stand up tall, be sickening, and make them EAT IT

Thank you! (coolest-sounding advice ever)  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:55 pm
BSPBleach
woah......
i came out to my family. my twin brother was ok (teasing terror) and my dad was totally cool. mum was awful. but that was a yr ago and recently my brother forced us into it and i told her again. that time she was cool with it. on the outside. i still think she hates it......

now. the woah. i see quite the hate for bible thumpers and 'bad parents'. ok, i know people like that are cruel, but being cruel back doesn't help.....mpeople reject LGBT for their own reasons, and they believe in them, just like bible people, you can try to open thier minds but you can't force anyone to be accepting. and being cruel or unaccepting back is counter-productive.....

You're not quite understanding what I'm saying,
when a parent forsakes their child, regardless of what their personal beliefs are,
they are in fact a bad parent and a bad person.

You're supposed to love your child unconditionally, and only loving your child if he or she is straight sounds like a condition to me.  

Hashtagihateit

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:11 pm
RavennaGrimoire
BSPBleach
woah......

when a parent forsakes their child, regardless of what their personal beliefs are,

You're supposed to love your child unconditionally, and only loving your child if he or she is straight sounds like a condition to me.
i understand perfectly......most parents don't actually go that far, but those that do......well they truely believe that it's inhumane or that that isn't their child. i feel sorry for people who think like that, and i hope one day they can see how wrong that is.
but being harsh, rude, or offenssive certainly won't change their views which makes it unneccassary hate. that's all i'm trying to say.

i know that supporting child is part of a parents job description and failing to do so makes you a bad parents. but again, there's people who believe that when their child is LGBT, that they aren't their child.  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 pm
BSPBleach
RavennaGrimoire
BSPBleach
woah......

i understand perfectly......most parents don't actually go that far, but those that do......well they truely believe that it's inhumane or that that isn't their child. i feel sorry for people who think like that, and i hope one day they can see how wrong that is.
but being harsh, rude, or offenssive certainly won't change their views which makes it unneccassary hate. that's all i'm trying to say.

i know that supporting child is part of a parents job description and failing to do so makes you a bad parents. but again, there's people who believe that when their child is LGBT, that they aren't their child.

But that doesn't alter the fact that it is their child.
That's not, nor is it ever, an excuse.
I'm not being rude, or offensive. You seem to be getting really defensive.  

Hashtagihateit

iLuV Muzics

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:54 am
Yeah well, all I know is that I'd rather have a cool dad who's like:
"Whatevs Brah." (lol)
Than one who is all:
"Get out of my house you F***ing f*****t!"
So....yeah.
o.o

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:15 am
RavennaGrimoire
Sin Error
I'm out to mostly everyone important in my family, my mom took it pretty well and was very supportive, however my dad changed. now he barely talks to me and cares less what happens to me.
My little brother also took it pretty well too, a little tear here and there but no rejection...my sister is a whole different story though, she's homophobic.

That's abnormal,
what's her deal?

I have no idea, I thought out of all people she'd be cool with it, since she's in acting class, the theather club and modeling, she works with gay guys all of the time.
She even mesagged my boyfriend telling him she didn't approve of us and that she was really hurt he turned me gay, she even told I was going to hell beacuse I was not a woman and I liked men, then she called me a f*****t.  

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100

Eukleides Everill

Fashionable Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 am
I haven't come out to my mom or sister, or family about me being Bi.
My mom and I were talking about Bi's one day too. And I was like. "Would you want me to be Bi?"
She was all like "Well, it's your life. I'd be upset, yeah, but that's your decision."
So.. I'unno if she'd be happy for me, or just.. Pissed.
We talked about this like a couple months ago, and I've been bi since 5th grade. I'm a sophomore now though.
I mean, she hates me already, why not add more salt to the wounds, right?
I probably won't tell her anytime soon.
My sister might be chill about it and make little jokes about it here and there.
My bother-in-law... He'll prolly be all excited and s**t. xD

ANYWAY.

The only people who know I'm bi are my friends, people at school, and my cousin Maddie.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff