Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Artist Alley | Cosplay Commisioners | Buying Cosplays
Is artist alley worth the costs?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FortesGospel

Shameless Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:02 pm
Hello!
I was wondering if anyone that has attended as an artist has had a good turnout, also did anyone sell original art with fan things.

I am a glass artist and was just curious how well things go over at conventions.

Here are some examples of what I do:
http://fusedelegance.deviantart.com/gallery/24550871  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:03 pm
Your stuuf is so cute *^^* id say try out a convention neer you first or one you normaly go too, to get the feel for it.
I sell pewter jewlry hers my FB page pic jewlry iv sold suff at Otacon and NYAF iv had good turnout so far and mine is mostly original, your seams to be more fan based i think you would do well *^^*  

Yiko01

2,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50

LiL Moon

Sparkly Lover

9,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:19 pm
I've been selling at cons for a few years now and I've always done well. I make plushies and I sell anime plushies as well as originals. Originals in general are harder to sell at cons since the fans are looking for fanart specifically. But, I think crafters have more of an advantage when it comes to selling originals since our items are tangible and meant to be worn or used. I've never had trouble selling my originals since they are cute. And I think as a craft artist, you might also do well selling originals. I think your necklaces will do well in general. If you just want to get your feet wet, as Yiko01 said, try finding a con close to you since the cost of travel might be cheaper. Also, you could pair up with another artist and share table costs. The first con is always the scariest, but once you get the hang it, try to go to bigger and better cons. Sales always do better at bigger cons.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:18 pm
I've never had a table in AA, but I assume the bigger the con the better the turn out. It can really depend on where you live, if you can't make it to big cons you will always sell less. (though still may have a good turn out)  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

FortesGospel

Shameless Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:49 pm
Thank you all so much for all of the information. It's good to know that people are doing well.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:14 pm
Normally when you sell stuff at a con you should take notes on what's popular at that con  

Twilight_Sphere

Sparkly Gekko

FortesGospel

Shameless Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:18 pm
Le_Verseau
Normally when you sell stuff at a con you should take notes on what's popular at that con

Yeah, I do that when I am at art shows. I just have to figure out how much I want to make to start.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 pm
Yiko01
Your stuuf is so cute *^^* id say try out a convention neer you first or one you normaly go too, to get the feel for it.
I sell pewter jewlry hers my FB page pic jewlry iv sold suff at Otacon and NYAF iv had good turnout so far and mine is mostly original, your seams to be more fan based i think you would do well *^^*

I was wondering how non-con related artwork sold. I have a whole shop full of my main artwork but wasnt sure how it would do. Out of curiosity how much do you sell your pieces for when at a show?  

FortesGospel

Shameless Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:14 pm
It really depends on the demographic of the con.

I took my lolita accessory shop to PMX one year and didn't make a single profit, despite it being a "lolita" con. however that was a bad year for the con it's self.

Smaller cons are the easiest to sell at. Small cons book more artists than they do exhibitors and AA gets more traffic.

Also it's best to keep up on what is the most popular series at the time. those items will sell out quickly.

But do pack a few items from older series, you will end up with people like me who look for stuff from older series and games.

It's also best to buddy up! You psychically are not allowed to leave your table by it's self, if something gets stolen the con doesn't want to be held responsible, so take a buddy with you. most cons will give you the option to get a special badge for helpers that only allows them into the dealers and AA rooms. or they'll give you an option for purchasing another badge at a cheaper price to allow that person with you. I double teamed my table by splitting it half and half with a friend who did aprons and hand bags.

Having the buddy will allow one of you to leave the table with out breaking AA rules, it also makes food and bathroom runs easier.

Most spaces are tiny so use your space wisely, a lot of AA tables invest in the mesh net cage boxes for displays to expand their table space upwards with out getting in the way of their neighbors space.  
Artist Alley | Cosplay Commisioners | Buying Cosplays

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games