Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Psychic Shielding for Newbies

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Erise Crewe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:56 pm
I've been doing some research about psychic shielding and I've stumbled on to several resources on the topic. From what I've gathered, casting a psychic shield seems very similar to casting a circle. I've never cast a circle, so I have several questions regarding both shielding and circle casting.

To my understanding, the purpose of casting a circle is to create a space free of negative energy- it can be done solo or with a coven. Casting a circle requires a ritual involving chanting and candles. Casting a psychic shield is a solo process that may spread to more than one person with practice. No ritual or special tools of any kind are required. No chanting is required, but it is optional? The purpose of a psychic shield is to either absorb/negate or reflect negative energy from the caster. These are the things I have taken from various resources but....

As I was researching psychic shields, each source recommended something different.
1) One website recommended chanting "“There is one power in the Universe, and I am a perfect manifestation of that power. As such I will that the boundaries of my aura shall be strong and healthy, repelling all unwanted energy while remaining open to positive and healing energy. Safe within these boundaries nothing can harm me, for I am filled with the strength of the Goddess. By my will, so mote it be -and it is so.” " in one's mind as the shield was being cast
2) Another website said to add layers to the shield, and keep the shield as close to your own body as possible, also to add different textures to the shield
3) Third website called for drawing energies from sources that i'm unpracticed and unfamiliar with
4) Fourth website was a very specific how to for psychic shields

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience/suggestions with psychic shields. More specifically, do you think the chant would help? Would I have to know energy manipulation before I could cast a shield? Is a psychic shield too advanced for a beginner? I was also wondering if anyone wanted to discuss the similarities/differences between a psychic shield and a circle.

Sources:
1) http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/white-light-psychic-shielding.htm
2) http://www.askclaudia.com/psychic-protection.htm
3) http://astateofmind.eu/2010/03/03/how-to-create-psychic-shield-in-6-steps/
4) http://pjdeneen.hubpages.com/hub/psychicshielding  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:14 am
Erise Crewe

To my understanding, the purpose of casting a circle is to create a space free of negative energy- it can be done solo or with a coven.

Purpose differs with tradition. Usually it's to create a place "between worlds", a spiritual temple. I'm not sure a lack of negative energy is necessary or a part of the circle-casting process for many people.

Quote:
Casting a circle requires a ritual involving chanting and candles.

Neither is requires and to the best of my knowledge, few involve chanting. Casting a circle requires the manipulation of energy to create a barrier and often involves requesting guardians that are directional and/or elemental to join in the erection or completion of the circle. Most circle-casting seems to be based on the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram.

Quote:
The purpose of a psychic shield is to either absorb/negate or reflect negative energy from the caster.

The caster of what?
Shields are to protect, sometimes also for other things as well such as to make less visible.

Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience/suggestions with psychic shields. More specifically, do you think the chant would help?

That one in particular? Probably not, it's pretty clumsy and inelegant. I mean if I was going to chant something, it would have a good beat to it.
I think their idea was to instil a sense of being protected while erecting the shield, which makes sense but is not necessary.

Quote:
Would I have to know energy manipulation before I could cast a shield?

Yes. A shield is energy, if you can't manipulate it into a shield how could you cast a shield?

Quote:
Is a psychic shield too advanced for a beginner?

No, it's pretty basic.

Quote:
Sources:
1) http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/white-light-psychic-shielding.htm
2) http://www.askclaudia.com/psychic-protection.htm
3) http://astateofmind.eu/2010/03/03/how-to-create-psychic-shield-in-6-steps/
4) http://pjdeneen.hubpages.com/hub/psychicshielding

Everything under the moon is not a good site, at all. Ask Claudia says she can teach you to be a "shamanic healer", that is a lie, she looks like a con woman. That website is there to sell crap to people who feel unfulfilled in life. Likewise A State Of Mind looks like it exists to sell you stuff. Hub Pages is TERRIBLE, and that person looks particularly ignorant... her other pages are about "dark paganism" (lol) and similar, AND she recommends any old person do the LBRP as if it wasn't a Christian Ceremonial ritual.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Erise Crewe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:08 am
gonk To sum it up Sanguina is saying "Crewe, everything you read on the internet is a lie scream " <--- with the scream added for embellishment. I agree with you though, I thought the websites looked shady as well there's just hard to find a reliable source of info except from a mentor of some sort.

Once again all the info I have on circles is read from various albeit inaccurate sources stare but I'll admit it's only been a week or so since I've started learning the internet's a super tempting quick fix but I haven't begun reading the more legitimate materials (specifically books that have been recommended by the forums).

Well time to learn how to do energy manipulation crying would you happen to have any exercises you could suggest? I'm always worried that I'm doing things incorrectly. Speaking of energy shields and whatnot, would the shield ever be visible? I remember one time I helped my friend cast a protection spell, and I could actually see a ring of light. Would I ever at any point be able to see a glow? It would be nice to have something tangible that I could measure progress/failed attempts by. But I suppose that has to do with what I want the spell to do more than anything....  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:50 am
Erise Crewe
gonk To sum it up Sanguina is saying "Crewe, everything you read on the internet is a lie scream " <--- with the scream added for embellishment. I agree with you though, I thought the websites looked shady as well there's just hard to find a reliable source of info except from a mentor of some sort.

YEAH CREWE SRSLY scream
Nah, I haven't gone over all their info, because I can't be bothered, so what they've told you on this particular topic isn't necessarily wrong, just be aware that people will spout a whole lot of whatever and they may not be reliable. Those sites are in a general sense sites you should be suspicious of.

Quote:
Well time to learn how to do energy manipulation crying would you happen to have any exercises you could suggest? I'm always worried that I'm doing things incorrectly. Speaking of energy shields and whatnot, would the shield ever be visible? I remember one time I helped my friend cast a protection spell, and I could actually see a ring of light. Would I ever at any point be able to see a glow? It would be nice to have something tangible that I could measure progress/failed attempts by. But I suppose that has to do with what I want the spell to do more than anything....

There are some decent exercises at the beginning chapters of "Embracing the Moon".  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

xMoonlitShadowsx

Romantic Vampire

5,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:12 pm
I've been reading Michelle Belanger's The Ghost Hunter's Survival Guide and Psychic Energy Codex. So far, I really like her ideas for shielding. She also takes you through in detail how to center and ground before that, so you have a good foundation to start from.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:07 pm
xMoonlitShadowsx
I've been reading Michelle Belanger's The Ghost Hunter's Survival Guide and Psychic Energy Codex. So far, I really like her ideas for shielding. She also takes you through in detail how to center and ground before that, so you have a good foundation to start from.

Thank you for the suggestions XMoonliShadowsx~ I'll look into it the next time I'm at the bookstore heart On a random note do you ever go to the library to check out books?  

Erise Crewe

xMoonlitShadowsx

Romantic Vampire

5,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:17 am
Erise Crewe
xMoonlitShadowsx

Thank you for the suggestions XMoonliShadowsx~ I'll look into it the next time I'm at the bookstore heart On a random note do you ever go to the library to check out books?

smile

I used to go to the library all the time 'till I started to work quite close to a bookstore. The temptation to go there is too great to resist sometimes lol I also like Amazon ^^
I love to keep my books close to me and on hand, I'd rather not have to give them back to someone unless I borrow from a friend.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:19 am
I myself don't know much about psychic shielding, but mental shielding is another story. I know of two types of shield, one intended to keep everyone out until you remove the shield, and another that allows you to let certain people through. The first is the easiest to explain. All you have to do is picture yourself in a bubble, or a sphere. Don't ever let it end at ground level though, because people can still get through then. Also make sure that it is bubble shaped and NOT egg shaped, which is a surprisingly common mistake. Now, on to method 2. This one is a wee bit harder to explain, but you pretty much just need to picture the sphere, but with smaller spheres swirling up it, with the faces showing on them of those you want to let through the shield. These both work to block out mental contact and also keep out energies being directed at you, harmful or not.  

dlhundley

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:07 pm
dlhundley
I myself don't know much about psychic shielding, but mental shielding is another story. I know of two types of shield, one intended to keep everyone out until you remove the shield, and another that allows you to let certain people through. The first is the easiest to explain. All you have to do is picture yourself in a bubble, or a sphere. Don't ever let it end at ground level though, because people can still get through then. Also make sure that it is bubble shaped and NOT egg shaped, which is a surprisingly common mistake. Now, on to method 2. This one is a wee bit harder to explain, but you pretty much just need to picture the sphere, but with smaller spheres swirling up it, with the faces showing on them of those you want to let through the shield. These both work to block out mental contact and also keep out energies being directed at you, harmful or not.

I think we're talking about the same thing here.

I actually won't teach bubble shields to my students. The way you've described it, the shield is both delicate, and rigid in form. Things bounce off the outside, but it also traps things inside. It doesn't allow any degree of flow-through to let things out. And the flaw in these shields is that a clever person with a sharp enough 'pin' can simply pop them. They're not easy to maintain in a healthy way and can attract unwanted attention. I also note that you make no mention of where the energy you're repelling is being repelled to, either. It's irresponsible to let it fly wherever it will.

I can't see what egg-shaped has to do with it, either. An egg-shape is actually very strong and viable.

The second doesn't make much sense to me. Any sort of entity that can change their 'face' or mask their presence with another's energy signature is gonna walk right through your shield, and they are out there. Likewise, someone with the skill could likely lift your friend's image or energy right off the surface of your shield.

Shielding up with things that are either bright and shiny and obvious, or make you look like you're guarding Fort Knox are trouble. They attract more attention than you want or need, and in the end are usually not as functional as you'd like. Blocking out everything doesn't teach you how to sense and identify different energies, either. If you treat everything as a threat, eventually everything is.

I teach my students to maintain a semi-permeable barrier - something subtle that looks like a natural part of themselves and allows for flow in and out while still providing a level of defense. It doesn't attract attention, and if something nasty does poke you through it you can ramp up your defense from that level as warranted.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:42 pm
Morgandria
dlhundley

I think we're talking about the same thing here.

I actually won't teach bubble shields to my students. The way you've described it, the shield is both delicate, and rigid in form. Things bounce off the outside, but it also traps things inside. It doesn't allow any degree of flow-through to let things out. And the flaw in these shields is that a clever person with a sharp enough 'pin' can simply pop them. They're not easy to maintain in a healthy way and can attract unwanted attention. I also note that you make no mention of where the energy you're repelling is being repelled to, either. It's irresponsible to let it fly wherever it will.

I can't see what egg-shaped has to do with it, either. An egg-shape is actually very strong and viable.

The second doesn't make much sense to me. Any sort of entity that can change their 'face' or mask their presence with another's energy signature is gonna walk right through your shield, and they are out there. Likewise, someone with the skill could likely lift your friend's image or energy right off the surface of your shield.

Shielding up with things that are either bright and shiny and obvious, or make you look like you're guarding Fort Knox are trouble. They attract more attention than you want or need, and in the end are usually not as functional as you'd like. Blocking out everything doesn't teach you how to sense and identify different energies, either. If you treat everything as a threat, eventually everything is.

I teach my students to maintain a semi-permeable barrier - something subtle that looks like a natural part of themselves and allows for flow in and out while still providing a level of defense. It doesn't attract attention, and if something nasty does poke you through it you can ramp up your defense from that level as warranted.

I was saying not to make it egg shaped because that leaves a point that could be forced through with less effort than a sphere. and by the way, both of those, if you do it right, are rather good at letting you control what leaves the shield, and they aren't quite as noticeable as you would think. if someone were to try to send energy to me right now, they would find a shield that isn't very noticeable, but would be very hard to penetrate, if at all.  

dlhundley

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games