Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
How Do You View the Gods? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:38 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

And there are people that are self destructive like that.

Ummm... not really, because some of that destruction has to come from outside of you.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:09 am
a little thing about me, I believe that there are gods outside my pantheon, and that in a way, all gods are one, and one god is all, to an extent. To further explain, I believe that if enough people believe in any pantheon enough, that pantheon will eventually become reality, almost like the stories you hear about covens coming together and making what is called a thought-form to protect an area, object, or purpose.
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
So interesting discussion that I found while lurking the HoN forum a while back. Didn't think about starting a discussion on it until I was in the shower today.

So the first question is how do you view the gods? Soft/Hard Poly, Mono, ect.
Second, if you follow a specific pantheon, how do you view gods outside of that pantheon? Like are all the sun gods the same god but just different faces of the one you follow? Are they all still different entities?
Also, if you can, explain why you think that for both questions.

I forgot the other one I wanted to ask but I'll ask it when I remember it again.

dlhundley

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:50 pm
dlhundley
a little thing about me, I believe that there are gods outside my pantheon, and that in a way, all gods are one, and one god is all, to an extent. To further explain, I believe that if enough people believe in any pantheon enough, that pantheon will eventually become reality, almost like the stories you hear about covens coming together and making what is called a thought-form to protect an area, object, or purpose.

So...in essence you're saying that the Gods are all thoughtforms generated by humanity, which start out as separate pantheons and entities but eventually form one collective deity? That there are still separate pantheons somehow not made irrelevant by the fact that all deities are one and that they aren't really deities to begin with?

I'm not grasping the logic here.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 pm
dlhundley

I have to say I'm with Morg on this that I don't completely follow what you're trying to exactly say. How exactly would the thoughtforms reach godhood? And then once they finally do reach that point, why would they all join together to form one deity?  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

dlhundley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:29 pm
Morgandria
dlhundley

So...in essence you're saying that the Gods are all thoughtforms generated by humanity, which start out as separate pantheons and entities but eventually form one collective deity? That there are still separate pantheons somehow not made irrelevant by the fact that all deities are one and that they aren't really deities to begin with?

I'm not grasping the logic here.

no, I'm relating thoughtforms to gods. I'm saying that gods exist if we believe they do, but fade if noone believes in them. I'm not saying they join together or anything either, but instead saying that they are all interconnected in some way or another. for example, both greek myth and christianity have stories about a great Flood  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:36 pm
dlhundley

no, I'm relating thoughtforms to gods. I'm saying that gods exist if we believe they do, but fade if noone believes in them. I'm not saying they join together or anything either, but instead saying that they are all interconnected in some way or another. for example, both greek myth and christianity have stories about a great Flood

What you're saying here, isn't what you said before. But thank you for the clarification.

I don't think that the Gods themselves are all that interconnected - rather, it's people and cultures that share common themes between them, and so draw parallels between deities. But similar =/= same.

Cultures may of course have stories revolving around events that could have affected large areas of the planet - same event, different perspectives. Makes sense to me in that way...but only in that way, as documentation of a global event.

I don't personally believe the Gods dependent on our belief in them. It makes no sense in my mind...it's like saying that if people stop believing in gravity it will have no power over our physical existence. Just because we choose not to believe in particular things doesn't make them vanish.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games