Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
May I have everyone's opinion?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Okay, so back in 2009 I decided to KNIT a cosplay. It was awesome and a lot of people liked it. Unfortunately, I overheated and it was not fun. Well, last year I decided to suck it up and refresh my memory and use a sewing machine. Lol, sadly, me and sewing machines don't get along. I seriously broke 2 hand-me-down sewing machines. *Head desk* I don't want to hire a seamstress so I decided to HAND sew my cosplays. Now, this is where I want everyone's opinions if ya don't mind. Should I plan a cosplay and start making it...hmm, say 6 months in advance?

I guess handmade pants with handmade suspenders attached to them REALLY doesn't take that long, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, right? I've just been noticing a crappy cycle that I've been going through. I buy my fabric, use my custom patterns, and start sewing. In the end, I've NEVER finished them on time. Well, I finished my crappy Tentacool Gijinka cosplay the day of the con, but my Steampunk cosplay never got finished. I finished the pants, but not the vest. I'm tired of working hard on a cosplay only to wear something else because it's not complete.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:09 pm
the sooner u start something the more time u have for screw ups right? Always try to do something with as much time as possible  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:05 pm
Squee, thanks so much for your opinion and I totally agree with you! I can screw up as much as I want and I don't have to worry. Lol, I can also finish my edges neatly without rushing through it. I tell ya, trying to hand sew a cosplay within 1 week before a con is never fun.

Thank you so much for your input, Flames. I appreciate it~ heart  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:56 pm
OhNoesItsMiho
Squee, thanks so much for your opinion and I totally agree with you! I can screw up as much as I want and I don't have to worry. Lol, I can also finish my edges neatly without rushing through it. I tell ya, trying to hand sew a cosplay within 1 week before a con is never fun.

Thank you so much for your input, Flames. I appreciate it~ heart
its ok I know what its like, I often have gone by without cosplaying because I put it off to the last minute. Last month I had my cosplay ready and everything, except I needed a wig so I bought one last minute, did a rush job on cutting the hair so it came out a bit weird, I ended up not cosplaying.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

SolfeggioNinja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:58 pm
I cosplay with a fairly large group of people (we range from about five to eight girls) and I always try to start planning our group cosplays for the next convention the very day we leave the current one (one in January, one September). I think it's best to start a cosplay as soon as possible, as one often has school, work, sports, or online gaming drama, meaning that the person in question cannot work on the cosplay.
Now, group cosplays are often much harder to create than when one goes solo, because everyone in the group wants to look like an individual while still being tied together as a group. Last year we did an Eeveelution Lolita cosplay, and some of us ended up staying up till three in the morning sewing in the hotel room. Because we had to not only design the cosplays, but also had to create them, it became increasingly difficult. Since, we have never done a Lolita group cosplay. But enough of my horror stories.
Who are you planing on cosplaying?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:23 am
SolfeggioNinja
I cosplay with a fairly large group of people (we range from about five to eight girls) and I always try to start planning our group cosplays for the next convention the very day we leave the current one (one in January, one September). I think it's best to start a cosplay as soon as possible, as one often has school, work, sports, or online gaming drama, meaning that the person in question cannot work on the cosplay.
Now, group cosplays are often much harder to create than when one goes solo, because everyone in the group wants to look like an individual while still being tied together as a group. Last year we did an Eeveelution Lolita cosplay, and some of us ended up staying up till three in the morning sewing in the hotel room. Because we had to not only design the cosplays, but also had to create them, it became increasingly difficult. Since, we have never done a Lolita group cosplay. But enough of my horror stories.

That's why I avoid joining group cosplays. I go solo or do couple cosplays. For Matsuricon, I'm going as Sgt. Keroro. It'll be a human version of him. I'm doing a couple cosplay at Sugoicon. I'll be the 10th Doctor and my friend's going as Rose.  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:34 pm
It's definately better to play it safe and start working on it sooner than later. I get into trouble with that all the time...

Last year for my local convention, I ended up making 4 costumes (only 2 of them were actually mine)... and even though I started the one months ahead of time, I didn't get done until the actual convention started... and no sleep, plus college plus late nights for sewing equals absolute Hell.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:55 pm
What are you doing on the computer then? Go start right now!
emotion_awesome But all kidding aside, it's best to start a.s.a.p. Especially if you're hand sewing the costume.
And maybe when you have time, take some sewing lessons and try to get better at using a machine. It'll come in handy.

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:54 pm
I'm still new to Cosplay. So I take a few steps to make sure that my outfit looks good and recognizable. It does take time for that. Each Cosplay outfit will take a different amount of time depending on how complex that you want to make it.

1. Get very familiar with your Cosplay character. Re-read the series Manga books, watch the DVD's of the series again, look over art books for the series, and of course the internet. The more that you know the easier it will be to make the outfit and be in character at a con.
2. Make a list of steps needed to make the outfit. Some of the items you may have to buy and others to make.
3. Trial and error is the key. If a finished outfit doesn't look right try again. Sometimes it takes going to a con wearing the outfit to see what you need to do to improve it. At my most recent con I discovered that not a lot of people recognized who I was Cosplaying, so I figured out some changes to do for next time.

Good Luck  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:06 pm
I suggest working on a cosplay months in advance that way if have screw up you'll have more time to fix them than if waited till last minute anyways good luck.  

Alice Allusion

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200

SolfeggioNinja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:42 am
OhNoesItsMiho
SolfeggioNinja

That's why I avoid joining group cosplays. I go solo or do couple cosplays. For Matsuricon, I'm going as Sgt. Keroro. It'll be a human version of him. I'm doing a couple cosplay at Sugoicon. I'll be the 10th Doctor and my friend's going as Rose.

I think it's a lot more fun to do cosplay in groups, or even in just teams. For example this past con I went once as Ellis with a zoey from Left 4 dead, then as Fionna with a Cake from Adventure time, and my two friends went as Link and True form Midna together.
o wo I'm loving all the Doctor Who cosplays! I love Ten and Rose and Ten/Donna (squee)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:17 pm
Well, I would say start early, especially if you're not use to sewing by hand and maybe you can use clothes and alter them. Like, go to a thrift store and use clothes that closely match your cosplay. That's what I usually do and it takes less time than making an outfit from scratch.  

lilith_loituma

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:31 pm
teachanan
Well, I would say start early, especially if you're not use to sewing by hand and maybe you can use clothes and alter them. Like, go to a thrift store and use clothes that closely match your cosplay. That's what I usually do and it takes less time than making an outfit from scratch.

I'm really great at sewing by hand, but I'll keep that in mind. I'll definitely alternate clothes some time.  
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games