Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Nintendo Guild

Back to Guilds

ONG is a guild and community specializing in Nintendo. 

Tags: Nintendo, Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Pokemon 

Reply Other Games
StarTropics

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kallori

Original Stalker

15,150 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Tax Evader 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:55 pm
Yes, I know, the game is mondo old, but it still holds a place in my heart as being one of the most strangely original and interesting games of all time.
I would also like it if they could remake it as a fresh game, much like they did with Kid Icarus, as Uprising is coming to the 3DS. No idea when though.

The sequel seemed kind of a let-down in my opinion. You don't have your yoyo from the first, but instead, a Psychic hock Wave that gets upgraded much like the yoyo did. You also had an axe/dagger/katana as a secondary weapon. The story itself was the major part that made me dislike it.

Aside from all this, I would stil like it if they revamped and revived the series.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:07 pm
I think it's one of the best NES endings. No question in my opinion. I love it how you can explore the entire village again and listen to people giving you props for killing Zoda. The rescued Argonian kids made for a cool and surprising twist as well. And of course, there are the still shots after the credits. This game really is terribly underrated. Really satisfying to play and beat.  

New Motion
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Sparkster95

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:11 pm
I guess that would be pretty cool.

Personally, I think they should vamp out the storyline and whatever a little bit. Make it better, I guess. Or just don't change it at all and improve the graphics for the system. -shrug-  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:38 pm
New Motion
I think it's one of the best NES endings. No question in my opinion. I love it how you can explore the entire village again and listen to people giving you props for killing Zoda. The rescued Argonian kids made for a cool and surprising twist as well. And of course, there are the still shots after the credits. This game really is terribly underrated. Really satisfying to play and beat.

Yeah, getting praised was really incredible, and always filled me with a sense of pride. I always wondered though why Baboo would offer you cola (I'm assuming like Coke or Root Beer) and not some island-themed drink.
To this day, some of the stills during the credits just tug at my strings, getting me emotional.

I'd also like to go on record that this was the very first game (that I know of) that tried to fully immerse the player into the role of Mike by using the code 747. It was, if you had the game package, in the manual, and by dipping it in water, it would reveal the code to start the Sub-C.
This was also the only game developed in Japan that was specifically aimed at a Western (NA) audience.  

Kallori

Original Stalker

15,150 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Tax Evader 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

meep12345

meep12345

Wistful Fairy

42,740 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:38 pm
Kallori
New Motion

Yeah, getting praised was really incredible, and always filled me with a sense of pride. I always wondered though why Baboo would offer you cola (I'm assuming like Coke or Root Beer) and not some island-themed drink.
To this day, some of the stills during the credits just tug at my strings, getting me emotional.

I'd also like to go on record that this was the very first game (that I know of) that tried to fully immerse the player into the role of Mike by using the code 747. It was, if you had the game package, in the manual, and by dipping it in water, it would reveal the code to start the Sub-C.
This was also the only game developed in Japan that was specifically aimed at a Western (NA) audience.

I didn't know the target audience for that game was Western cat_eek I'm going to have to pull out my NES and replay them both cat_4laugh (or, I'm pretty sure, I can find an emulator, since my large gray box, my nickname for my NES, is a tad dusty cat_sweatdrop ).

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing StarTropics remade, but my fear is with "who" ends up remaking it cat_stare My prime argument being the remake of NES game, "A Boy and His Blob", for the Wii. I found the remake childish, simplistic, and story no where near as mature as the NES game. Thus, with StarTropics, I feel that if the wrong company got a hold of it, the game will be rendered of its seriousness in favor of kid-friendliness cat_sad

I, upon further consideration, wouldn't mind companies like (the defunct) CING and Level 5, as a joint project, remaking StarTropics, especially with CING doing story/graphics and Level 5 doing dungeons/maps/etc. And, for that matter, Atlus as the publisher, because than there would be additional, albeit unessential, fan materials/collectibles/memorabilia would also be developed in addition to a great game cat_smile Anyhow, those are just my thoughts... cat_rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:38 pm
It was pretty good. heart  

lanced90
Captain

Interesting Werewolf

8,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Kallori

Original Stalker

15,150 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Tax Evader 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:38 pm
meep12345
Kallori
New Motion

I didn't know the target audience for that game was Western cat_eek I'm going to have to pull out my NES and replay them both cat_4laugh (or, I'm pretty sure, I can find an emulator, since my large gray box, my nickname for my NES, is a tad dusty cat_sweatdrop ).

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing StarTropics remade, but my fear is with "who" ends up remaking it cat_stare My prime argument being the remake of NES game, "A Boy and His Blob", for the Wii. I found the remake childish, simplistic, and story no where near as mature as the NES game. Thus, with StarTropics, I feel that if the wrong company got a hold of it, the game will be rendered of its seriousness in favor of kid-friendliness cat_sad

I, upon further consideration, wouldn't mind companies like (the defunct) CING and Level 5, as a joint project, remaking StarTropics, especially with CING doing story/graphics and Level 5 doing dungeons/maps/etc. And, for that matter, Atlus as the publisher, because than there would be additional, albeit unessential, fan materials/collectibles/memorabilia would also be developed in addition to a great game cat_smile Anyhow, those are just my thoughts... cat_rolleyes

An emulator site I've found trustful is Coolrom.com.

Although seemingly futile, I've sent several emails to Nintendo begging to refresh the series, but they always said they weren't going to remake "outside games" or something like that.
My main fuel for these emails comes from the fact StarTopics has an uncanny history similarity to Kid Icarus.
- Both series were in the late 80's/early 90's
-Both only produced 2 titles before dying out
However, now that they're reviving KI with Uprising, I've asked if they could do the same with StarTropics, but kept getting the same answer.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:24 pm
Kallori
meep12345
Kallori
New Motion

An emulator site I've found trustful is Coolrom.com.

Although seemingly futile, I've sent several emails to Nintendo begging to refresh the series, but they always said they weren't going to remake "outside games" or something like that.
My main fuel for these emails comes from the fact StarTopics has an uncanny history similarity to Kid Icarus.
- Both series were in the late 80's/early 90's
-Both only produced 2 titles before dying out
However, now that they're reviving KI with Uprising, I've asked if they could do the same with StarTropics, but kept getting the same answer.

Well, I kind of expect Nintendo to give people that kind of response, but that actually might be a sign of hope you too. I mean, on one hand, if Nintendo doesn't own the rights to the game, another company (a company, which Nintendo can simply buy out or buy the rights to), this means another company could still remake the StarTropics (please be company with connections to Atlus), but, on the other hand, depending on the company, there may be a disincentive to remake StarTropics on the premise that some other game franchises they have is doing better and that taking attention away from that game would only hurt their already popular franchises... cat_rolleyes

Let's see... StarTropics is owned by... Well, thats interesting... *scratches out text above*... Nintendo owns the game, completely, and it was made by a Nintendo employee in one of their R&D depts as well as released on the Virtual Console cat_eek

That makes this whole claim that StarTropics is an "Outside Game" seem, well, not correct at all cat_confused
I wonder why you were told that now... Hmm... cat_rolleyes
Also, on the KI comparison, KI was actually rather popular in Japan, whereas StarTropics has no, well, Japanese counterpart, so... That might be one issue to consider... cat_neutral  

meep12345

meep12345

Wistful Fairy

42,740 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Kallori

Original Stalker

15,150 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Tax Evader 100