User Image

❝ Don't say yes if you can't say no,
Victim of the system say it isn't so! ❞

Kara
Sage
Dunne

Kara skipped up the steps towards Robinson Junara's mansion. She knocked on the heavy front doors exactly 3 times. Moustafa approached her, panting after his long run to catch up.
                            "Honestly, Kara. I cannot wait for you to grow up!" He muttered.
                            "Oh, Chester, get over it! It's just some harmless gambling! Besides, we need this money! It's not like I'm old enough to get a job or anything!" she exclaimed in exasperation.
                            Moustafa sighed and rested his head on his paws.
                            "I do wish you'd stop calling me Chester..."
                            Soon after, the heavy doors opened, revealing a young woman with short black hair and long black dress with a white apron. The lady was named Kiki, and she was Junara's first and only maid. "Hello Kara, Chester," Kiki greeted, nodding at each of them. "Junara was wondering when you'd get back. She's waiting for you in her office. From the looks of it, it's something important."
                            Kara rolled her eyes and stepped inside. "She treats me so much like my mother! I'll bet she just wants to scold me for staying out for so long!" Kiki shook her head as she closed the door behind Moustafa.
                            "I don't think so, Kara. It seems pretty serious. I'd hurry if I were you." Kara shrugged and started walking towards Junara's office. She pryed open the door and peeked inside.
                            "Kiki said you wanted to speak with me?"
                            Junara looked up from the book she was reading and nodded curtly. "Yes. Please shut the door behind you. I'm afraid what we're about to discuss it too important for us to risk getting overheard."
                            Kara obeyed but couldn't help asking, "You really think Kiki would tell on us?" Junara shrugged and put her book down.
                            "You can never be too sure," she replied. Her Heartbound, a gold parakeet, settled down on Moustafa's head. The white bengal tiger just grunted.
                            "What did you want to talk to me about?" Kara asked as she sat down opposite to Junara.
                            "You've heard of the Specters and the Rebels, correct?"
                            "Oh, yeah! I've heard of them. Their little war just sounds like a bunch of adults making trouble over nothing." Junara shook her head.
                            "I wish it were only that, but unfortunately it's not. The goals of the Specters vary from person to person, but in general they all want the same things; power, fame, and fortune. They've discovered a means to reach their goals by using a terrifying power. The Rebels have been trying to battle that power and stop the Specters but it's difficult."
                            "Why is it difficult? What 'power' do the Specters possess? Why are you telling me this!" Kara spurted out questions like a hose. This was the first time Junara had ever brought this up.
                            "The reason the Rebels are having a hard time is because the Specters are usually rich and powerful figures who just want more. While their numbers are great, the odds against the Rebels seem greater. The Specters have discovered a way to control people's heartbounds and use them to manipulate humans into committing unspeakable crimes or allowing them to climb the ladder to their goal. The reason I am telling you this is because you are of great value to both sides of this war. Soon, this value will be discovered and you will be hunted." Kara gasped and her eyes went wide.
                            "Me? Hunted? Why am I of value to any of them!?" Kara was so confused. She'd never done anything to get involved with the war and she had never planned to. The only reason she could imagine being hunted is for leverage on her wealthy parents! But they were so weak they'd give in without her having to be used as bait.
                            "I noticed the day we met that you were special. It was part of the reason why I took you in. You see, you and Moustafa are not connected in the same way normal humans are connected to their heartbounds. Some would even claim you aren't connected at all, but that is by human terms. I think what is going on, is that because you and Moustafa has such different personalities, objectives, and views, Moustafa isn't quite your heartbound, but something else. Something more..."
                            "What?! This is crazy! Even if Chester isn't my heartbound, why would this make me of value?" Kara cried, her voice more high-pitched than intended. Junara laughed.
                            "Isn't it obvious? It means the Specters can't control you! And if the Specters can't control you, then you would make an excellent weapon for the Rebels! But the Specters wouldn't want that, no no no! They'd want to keep you to themselves and hide you from the rebels. You might be the only chance to stop this madness."
                            "Do you side with the Rebels? Are you going to turn me over to them?" Kara asked quietly, her voice barely a whisper.
                            "Of course not. I take no sides in this god forsaken feud. Joining the Rebels would only make me and my business a target for the Specters. That would mean easy pickings- another win in their battle. And I would never consider myself one of those greedy, shallow, and selfish Specters! I will turn you over to neither of them, which is why you must leave. The Specters are bound to find out I'm keeping something from them- in fact, I believe one of them, Ashkael Reehara, already suspects this! That is why I asked Kiki to pack you a bag of supplies and keep them in the attic, so if an emergency ever arises and you need to leave, everything will be ready for you to go. You need to run and hide and stay out of this for as long as you can."
                            "But just a minute ago you were telling me I was the only hope for the end of this feud!"
                            "Yes, but sometimes things need to work out on their own. You may be the only hope for the Rebels, but not for the end of this war. Politics are a tricky thing..." Kara could feel hot tears welling up in her eyes.
                            "Junara, I don't want to leave. I like it here! You and Kiki are the best thing that's ever happened to me!" She got up and hugged Junara tightly.
                            Junara squeezed Kara and smiled sadly.
                            "I love you as though you're my own child, and that's why I'm doing this. I'm trying to give you a chance to stay young and innocent. I tried to protect you from this world's problems for as long as I could, but I've failed and now I'm giving it one last go. Now head to the attic. I have the feeling we'll be having guests soon."
                            Kara nodded and left without asking anymore questions, even though there was so much she didn't understand.
                            She sat on her bed in the attic and sobbed quietly. Moustafa rested his head on her lap to comfort her and she buried her head in his fur.
                            "I'm scared, Moustafa," she whispered, not even realizing she'd used his real name.

Over Open Close: Ohmigod. This was the second time I had to write this epic post because last time my computer crashed before I could post it. Therefore, I'm submitting it first before I do the coloring.

User Image