Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Genderless infant. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TylerAnnihilate

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 pm
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/995846--star-readers-rage-about-couple-raising-genderless-infant?bn=1

A toronto couple is raising their infant "genderless". It's 4 months old and named Storm.

The parents wanna raise Storm to grow up without the strict social norms about males and females.

They're getting alot of negative press from this,

but I personally think it's great.

What do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:24 pm
i trhink its great i mean what whould happend to the child if it wasnt just gonna be raised, only concern is the press. press is not good and never will be  

Papurusuta

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:03 am
******** the press xd  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:12 am
Honestly, I don't like what they're doing. You can't just "raise" a child to be genderless. It's something they need to figure out for themselves. It's just as bad as parents treating a neutrois to be male or female. In fact, it's the same thing, but the other way around. I mean, sure, it's nice to think that the social norms of males and females can be nullified, but not at the cost of gender. For example, I may dress like a man and sometimes be on the side of men, but I'm still female. Always will be.

And then there's also the social costs. They are opening the child up to a world of hate, and the child didn't even get a say into it in the first place. I mean, if the child really is genderless, then great, but I really think these parents are close-minded as to think you can choose to raise a child a certain way. You can't choose, nor can you raise. You just are.  

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100

Atrum_Anima

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:48 am
She Promised You Cookies
Honestly, I don't like what they're doing. You can't just "raise" a child to be genderless. It's something they need to figure out for themselves. It's just as bad as parents treating a neutrois to be male or female. In fact, it's the same thing, but the other way around. I mean, sure, it's nice to think that the social norms of males and females can be nullified, but not at the cost of gender. For example, I may dress like a man and sometimes be on the side of men, but I'm still female. Always will be.

And then there's also the social costs. They are opening the child up to a world of hate, and the child didn't even get a say into it in the first place. I mean, if the child really is genderless, then great, but I really think these parents are close-minded as to think you can choose to raise a child a certain way. You can't choose, nor can you raise. You just are.

I agree 100%. That child is going to grow up with so much confusion about their gender and sexuality, and is going to have incredibly low self-esteem from bullies at an early age (if they ever stop home-schooling)  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:21 am
I think this is a very interesting idea. I'd love to hear how the child does later on in life.  

Darkfox Soldier

Robbie-fyed

Beloved Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:42 am
Atrum_Anima
She Promised You Cookies

I agree 100%. That child is going to grow up with so much confusion about their gender and sexuality, and is going to have incredibly low self-esteem from bullies at an early age (if they ever stop home-schooling)

I too must agree. It's coming across too much as exploitation for a cause that might do more harm than actually help. The child should be the one to figure it out. A parent's job is to support them no matter what.  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:53 am
Atrum_Anima
She Promised You Cookies

Read this article. It discusses this very issue.  

Angela Jade

Distinct Sex Symbol

8,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

RowenthaDark

Feline Avenger

17,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:05 am
Angela Jade
Read this article. It discusses this very issue.

oh my godess, i love that article! i read this topic yesterday but didnt reply and started a class disscussion about it today in first period.
overall, the class was divided 50/50 about whether it would be a good idea or not to raise a 'genderless' child.
the teachers got really irritated because we disscussed nothing but that all day, and three of four teachers thought it would be an interesting idea, but wouldnt say any more. the substitute for the fifth teacher threw a fit and called the people who agreed with it crazy and unfit to have their own children.
personally, i thik it would be a very good thing if just for once we could fully eliminate the thought of Gender from the equation!  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:10 am
I think its wonderful!! a great perspective to have the child brought up for. one of my biggest fears with a genderless child, is when they ask you what you wanna make it, that i'd pick the wrong one. that'd be awful ><

edit;(cut myself off) i'd much rather raise the child genderless so it could do aboslutly anything it wanted, with no worries of it being improper for a boy or girl to do such things. and once it grew older, if it really wanted to be a boy or a girl, it would be free to choose for itself.  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:36 am
Insatiable Lust

I too must agree. It's coming across too much as exploitation for a cause that might do more harm than actually help. The child should be the one to figure it out. A parent's job is to support them no matter what.

i agree with that. unlike my parents, you have to be supportive of your children no matter what. besides, you cant chose for a child born genderless. you just have to raise it, support it, and wait for it to choose on its own.  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:43 am
idk, to me its one of those things that sounds nice on paper. but im no child expert and cant tell a couple how they should raise their kids. i know i plan on raising my kids as whatever sex they are born as. if they decide later in life they dont like that then they can tell me but otherwise i plan on putting little girls in frilly dresses and putting blue pants on any boys i may have  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Seraph of Thursday

Lonely Saint

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:12 pm
I think it's attention seeking and acting to be better than everyone else. If the child themselves wants to be genderless, then by all damn means, but I don't think that is the case here.  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:51 pm
It looks to me like all of you who are disagreeing are taking this entirely the wronge way!

It is not that they are saying to the baby "You are not alloud to call yourself a girl or a boy, you must call yourself sexless." It's really not like that at all, the way i see. it

What they are actually saying is "You may identify yourself as a girl or a boy, we aren't going to do it for you, we will let you decide when you can."

I truelly think it's beautiful, what they are doing?

How can you say that the parents are being controlling? How can you say the parents are choosing for the child? It is not that they aren't allowing Storm to be a gender, but raising the baby in a gender nutral environment.  

Denkou Soshiatae

Atrum_Anima

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:26 pm
Denkou Soshiatae
It looks to me like all of you who are disagreeing are taking this entirely the wronge way!

It is not that they are saying to the baby "You are not alloud to call yourself a girl or a boy, you must call yourself sexless." It's really not like that at all, the way i see. it

What they are actually saying is "You may identify yourself as a girl or a boy, we aren't going to do it for you, we will let you decide when you can."

I truelly think it's beautiful, what they are doing?

How can you say that the parents are being controlling? How can you say the parents are choosing for the child? It is not that they aren't allowing Storm to be a gender, but raising the baby in a gender nutral environment.

I agree that it's not really them saying, "YOU MUST BE SEXLESS." However, they're much too young to know whether or not they identify with one gender, the other, or neither. They're just going to take bits and pieces of genders they feel like identifying with, and later on it might make dating a nightmare. It's hard to find people that are that understanding.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff