Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Works of Fiction Involving the Practice Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IEditYourWorld

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 pm
Hello all.

I am asking this from an artistic perspective, because that's my background. I am looking for good examples of how Wicca, Witchcraft, and other practices are represented in the movies, fictional books, music, and other forms of art. I am also looking for really bad examples too that I can stack up against the good ones. After all, we learn from mistakes, and seeing mistakes will help me avoid them.

To be more specific, I am looking at this as an outsider to the practice, and I am hoping to film a piece representing Witchcraft, Wicca, and other such practices in a positive light rather than leaning on stereotypes. I have joined this guild for this purpose, and I figure that with all that's out on the internet, I thought talking to actual people who practice would give me the best results for the piece that I am hoping to put together. I have a few ideas that I am wanting to go over with you all before committing to a script, but I am hoping to create something of a dark comedy to really show off my cinematic, experimental skills.

Any help is appreciated.
IEditYourWorld  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:17 pm
most things depicted by hollywood = bad example

edit: silver ravenwolf also = bad example  

whiporwill-o

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:21 pm
Gerald Gardner wrote some fiction books about witchcraft- High Magic's Aid was one.  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:33 pm
it will probably be somewhat difficult to find fictional works that are good examples seeing as it's called fiction for a reason. all i can think of are bad examples. (i consider any untruth, even if it's made to make something look good, to be a bad example.) sorry i can't be of more help than that sad  

whiporwill-o

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:49 pm
http://www.nfb.ca/film/goddess_remembered/

This film was shown in my Women's Studies class when I was university. it is one of a trilogy. Very feminist, but also enjoyable to watch.  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:36 pm
If I had to pick a good book/movie on witchcraft (though it's still got it's "hollywood" moments) I'd say Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman.

On towards the really bad side would be "The Craft" (movie) and "Charmed" (tv show).  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:43 am
Definitely Practical Magic, such a good movie, I have yet to read the book though.

Other books would be pretty much anything by Kelley Armstrong. She involves witchs, sorcerors and all. I think he witch Paige, is pretty spot on for a good example. Eve is a pretty psychotic sorceress, but also pretty spot on. She has different "levels" of witchs and wizards. I think a Magician is the lowest and can only do little parlor tricks, then the next step up can cast small spells, and of course, a sorceror is badass, but not a good example. So I'd stick to Paige and the Magicians. Jamie Vegas is a necromancer, which I think is pretty accurate. She does the good old talking to spirits, using grave dirt and mold to call spirits, and such.

Sherlyn Kenyon involes magic, but I think it would learn more towards a bad example. She involves a lot of demons and gods... I dunno. I still love her books.

Patircia Briggs has a tiny big in her books and it's mostly Native American, which is so neat. Definitely a good example.

Karen Chance is pretty good. Its deals with charms of sorts.

Eileen Wilks is an amazing author and deals with magical tattoos along with werewolves and witches. Her witches are pretty accurate, from what I remember. I'm pretty sure she has different "levels" of witchs

Majorie Liu, is a good author. But I haven't read too much to decide whether it is a good or bad example.

Buffy the Vampie Slayer was alright. Since Willow always used incantations and some materials, I would say it is okay, leaning towards good since that is how many practice today.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:55 am
Would Wyrd Sisters be good or bad? It's one of Annette's favorites.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:17 am
There is a book I like called The Death Pit (Author: Tony Strong), which involves a group practicing witchcraft.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:58 pm
True Blood has two representations that I really hated:
1) The swindling voodoo woman
2) The earthy witch who does abortion rituals (I'm pretty sure she called herself Wiccan, too)

Both were basically pointing out that "human magic" was nothing in comparison with vampire/werewolf/fairy magic and usually fake/purely psychological. ******** stupid.  

Scorpy-Sue

Distinct Conversationalist

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:24 pm
Seeing Afro-Dawg's post reminded me - really bad examples of witchcraft in TV shows. Bones (Season 5, Episode 20: The Witch in the Wardrobe) and House (Season 6, Episode 17: Knight Fall). The Bones episode I haven't actually watched, but I've heard really bad things about it (summoning demons and what not); on House, the guy's BOS was the Necronomicon. gonk  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:14 pm
The only two good ones I can think of are both from P.C. Cast. her House of Night series and her Goddess series. I haven't read her Divine series yet so i can't say if those are good or not yet, but those two that I mentioned are pretty good. I know she does her research on the subjects she uses which is something I like in an author instead of those that make crap up.  

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

Angel Bruja

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:23 pm
too2sweet
Seeing Afro-Dawg's post reminded me - really bad examples of witchcraft in TV shows. Bones (Season 5, Episode 20: The Witch in the Wardrobe) and House (Season 6, Episode 17: Knight Fall). The Bones episode I haven't actually watched, but I've heard really bad things about it (summoning demons and what not); on House, the guy's BOS was the Necronomicon. gonk

I saw that episode of Bones. Those writers didn't know anything and got mixed up in the stereotypes that have been around for a long time. I didn't see the House episode.
There was a book I read once. It was a crime mystery. I forget the name but one woman who had been questioned by the police knew some of what she was talking about.
M.R. Sellars writes the Rowan Gant investigations. He's a bit of a good example, I think. The main character is a practicing Wiccan who sometimes helps out the police and might be an empath? (Is that the word? He can be sensitive to certain objects or bodies related to whatever crime is happening).
There's Juliet Blackwell. She seems okay.
I'm not sure about Madelyn Alt. She uses Wicca in some of her titles but none of it relates to anything. Except that the main charcter's boss is Wiccan and the main charcter is just learning about it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:18 pm
A good example would be P.C Cast. Anything by her. And her daughter--they co-authored House of Night. A great example--she's about the only author that mentions Craft I can read without vomiting

BAD--Night World by L.J Smith. Wtchcraft is sometimes represented as good, but she focuses more on the bad. Also, it's said that the Craft can only be preformed by Witches, who in the book's case are said to be a seprate race. They are usually 'evil'.

There's also this series, I belive the first book is called "Blue is for Nightmares". Not only is it a terrible read[and every book is the same plotwise--she really only changes one or two things to make it a seprate book], the main girl does things that most of us would shutter to think about. Though I do give it props for trying to show the Craft in a positive light.

Also, basically anything on daytime telivision is bad. Whether it's from common misconceptions or because representing the Craft in a positive light offends the majority people, I'm not quite sure.  

Venra Axel Prey

Wealthy Werewolf

IileyahWithTheStars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:40 am
Scooby Doo and the Witches Ghost. Definitely on the bad side. As if it's any surprise.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games