Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duellists of Gaia

Back to Guilds

YDoG is an all TCG guild for all duellists. We also cover the entire Yu-Gi-Oh! games, shows, manga and RPG. 

Tags: Yugioh, Tournament, Duel, Trading Card Game, Anime 

Reply Domino City
Tokens or trap monsters?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:38 pm
Truth be told, neither deck seems all that good.

Tokens are capable of swarming with a few methods, with small spells and traps supporting them (even 1 monster, parasitic ticky), and blocking your opponent's field in some small cases. Still, they can be easy to beat most of the time, with almost all of them having next to no attack, and effects that aren't all that great (for the ones who have them). Am I saying all cards including tokens are bad? ******** NO. Dandylion is splashable and has a few decks revolving around his speed for getting tkens out. Gorz and Apple of Frigg are incredible for easily summoned high power monsters. But the bulk of token cards just seem so situational that most of the time I'm not sure they're worth dealing with 99% crap.

Next, we have trap monsters. They appeared first in battle city, and have since then grown somewhat, even to the point of gaining 2 trap monsters that support other trap monsters (curse and spirit of tiki). For decks running heavily on traps, the monsters summoned by these cards can have crazy effects (spirit of zoma is a good example). Although able to bring out some reenforcement, they can easily be toppled. Jinzo, royal decree, and any of the anti-special summon cards (ie. cactus bouncer and Kristya (also useful for stopping tokens)) can clear the front lines and crowd up the back of the field with unusable cards. This of course bring me to one of their most obvious weaknesses, a condition I prefer to call back field clogging. Trap monsters, when summoned, take up 2 spaces, 1 monster card zone, and 1 spell/trap card zone. If trying to swarm a bunch of these kinds of monsters, the field becomes crowded in half the normal time, and offers no spell or trap support.

Both types of cards have their...interesting features, as well as some unfavorable weaknesses. What are the rest of your guys' thoughts?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:52 pm
*claps* very good description of both. I used to use trao monsters for easy tributes, but now that tribuets are a thing of the past, i find them useless for the most part.

Token decks just seem to too hard to utilize. unless they make some really good support for them, i mean even better than the Storm of Ragnarok support, i don't see them as being more than an annoyance.  

oucyan

Lavish Demigod

32,350 Points
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100

Australian Igloo

Shirtless Bloodsucker

7,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:49 pm
Trap Monsters are a fun idea but none of them beat Zombyra. Overall they need more support.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:20 pm
I made a deck that focuses on using the trap monsters zoma and the 2 tikis(i forget which one destroys) to ram my opponents monsters to burn and destroy.And as for the clogging I fixed that problem by making most of the monsters tuners and I use the trap monsters as the materials. Ill admit the deck has its flaws(mostly the ones already specified), but its a pretty decent deck and fun to use for casual(as opposed to most tournament)duels.  

Mr_dragon

1,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100

Tsukinoki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:45 pm
well between the two i favor tokens, although hard to utilize i think the possibility of making an OKAY (though not competitive) deck with them is possible. A guy in this guild (or was it another...?) had an interesting idea of a token synchro deck, despite all the trolls.... and although i tried to make his deck in real life, due to lack of funding, it never reached completion.  
Domino City

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games