Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duellists of Gaia

Back to Guilds

YDoG is an all TCG guild for all duellists. We also cover the entire Yu-Gi-Oh! games, shows, manga and RPG. 

Tags: Yugioh, Tournament, Duel, Trading Card Game, Anime 

Reply Domino City
How to play Competitively

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Heywouldntyouknow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:21 pm
Here's a question to all of you competitive players. How do you play competitively, how did you learn, what wisdom can you share?

This is mainly to the two competitive players that I know in this guild. Though anyone can enlighten me.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:35 pm
TwinHeart
Here's a question to all of you competitive players. How do you play competitively, how did you learn, what wisdom can you share?

This is mainly to the two competitive players that I know in this guild. Though anyone can enlighten me.

Pm me if you want to tell me how to be competitive.  

Heywouldntyouknow

Gravitational Molestation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:43 am
Back in the day I was a massive scrub. I ran a terrible little fiend deck.

After watching someone use a Fire Princess burn deck in some chat room I was inspired. I traded off the fiend deck and built Fire Princess. I realized that Messenger of Peace stops 1500 and up and Fire Princess is 1500 DEF. Cure Mermaid is 1500 attack. Marie the Fallen One is good fodder for Magic Jammer, etc. Gravity Bind let lvl 3s and lower get under so I ran Possessed Dark Soul. Jinzo? Offerings to the Doomed.

That deck won me more duels in that time frame than anything else.

After that, Warriors became the big thing. Marauding had just come out. I jumped on the band wagon but wish I hadn't. I built a terrible warrior deck.

Regardless my education grew because I was reading the old Metagame SJC coverage. I read articles, I listened to players on the old forums I was attached to, etc. Basically, I took a decklist, a competitive decklist, and played it. I understood why it worked, what strengths it had, what weaknesses it had, from playing WITH it. After that I would play the next deck and the next, continuously learning how the skeleton strategy of the decks worked.

Eventually I started editting the decks for general weaknesses or to refocus them slightly in a different direction. I understood that a sidedeck was for specific match ups, not in general.

This practice of netdecking, understanding, and then editting is something I still do today. I am not the best at deck construction unless I have a base, I can admit this. If a new deck comes out, like when Quickdraw did, I build it, play it, then edit it.

A good example of me editting is the Gravekeeper deck. The YCS champion didn't run Upstarts, I do. Digging for Royal Tribute first turn is amazing. So is running a 37 card deck.

Then there are little things, like adjusting my playstyle and looking at mathematical probability.

Again, GKs are a good example. When I have an Upstart and a Pot of Duality in hand and I want to dig for one of my two Royal Tributes, which should I use first? Well, I'm pretty good with math and understanding probability without doing the calculations so I knew it should be Upstart first then Pot of Duality. Three people have been flabbergasted by this so I've done the math to show you what I mean.
30 cards remaining in deck, 2 Tributes
Duality First: 18.62% chance of hitting a Tribute
Upstart Second: 6.9% chance of hitting a Tribute

Upstart First: 6.67% chance of hitting a Tribute
Duality Second: 19.21% chance of hitting a Tribute

When using Duality first, Duality has a 0.6% chance less of digging up a Royal Tribute while Upstart has a 0.3% chance higher of it.

But I digress.

My biggest amount of advice is to read, listen and ask questions. Why did player do this instead of this, why is this better than this. If you have an idea, present it as an inquiry of opinion, not as solid fact.

That's about it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:58 am
I offer you my thanks Gravitational, this has inspired me to do a little more research and play testing. I can attest to the deck building, I can play a bit better than I can build . I would be most pleased if you can take a look at the current deck list I am playing. If there any any sites that you can suggest to look over coverage that would be a lot of help.

Again thanks for the reply.  

Heywouldntyouknow

Avalon avenger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:04 am
TwinHeart
I offer you my thanks Gravitational, this has inspired me to do a little more research and play testing. I can attest to the deck building, I can play a bit better than I can build . I would be most pleased if you can take a look at the current deck list I am playing. If there any any sites that you can suggest to look over coverage that would be a lot of help.

Again thanks for the reply.
I recommend visiting the TTG subforum, I've found it to be extremely helpful. Also join Duelist Nexus.  
Domino City

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games