0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 26

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:23 pm
I do not personally have a DeviantArt account, so I figured this would be the best place to ask for opinions- what do you think of it? I don't know if I should get one or not rolleyes . Thank you people who give feedback! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 pm
I only joined deviantArt originally because they had pre-existing submission categories and you could create a watchlist and collect favorite images. Things like journals were just a bonus and I only really started using the chatrooms and forums in the last year or two.

Some of the extra features I like are the ability to make mini-folders within your own gallery and make polls. I use polls to ask what my watchers want to see more of, or even to build up character designs.

Recently they've started a club system too, which I really love. That way you can get art that interests you sent directly to you dA inbox without having to add so-many-dozen individual artists who might work primarily in subjects you're not interested in to your watch list. I'm in a number of Pokemon and Anthro groups, and a few fantasy, emoticon/pixel, webcomic, and Gaia ones. The biggest problem with clubs is finding active ones that actually have standards. Most of the active Gaia clubs are just for people who have Gaia accounts, and don't restrict submissions to Gaia-only content.  

Cassidy Peterson

Garbage

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:25 pm
thanks in advance for the feedback! opinions are very useful smile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:00 am
DA is a good place to improve and to get feedback on your pictures. It is also good for those who want to work with art, as you might get noticed. And although the same applies with conceptart.org, I think DA is more beginner-friendly when CA seems to be mainly aimed to professionals.

I also agree with Cassidy Peterson. DA is still impropving and trying to find new ways to get your art to people. It also looks good on your CV if you're looking for a job that relates to art since it makes your pictures easy to find.  

ronnie92

Phantom

7,665 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • First Fall 15
  • Somebody Likes You 100

jaie Jeie

Fashionable Seeker

6,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:53 pm
I am so glad that I found this and someone asked about the pros and cons of DeviantArt. I don't have an account myself either; and I never will.

Let's see. . . pros: The only thing I can think of is that it is a place to submit artwork. That is the only pro I have.

Now CONS! There are actually MORE than I can list!

You can see some of the cons here on my forum I made in Chatterbox.

Additionally, here is a blog I made of how I feel about DeviantArt. It is also back up with some things I found.

Now in my opinion, if DeviantArt is so "beginner friendly," then how come there are people who would give negative criticism of your work being short of professional instead of giving you credit for trying? ALSO, what is with this quote by DeviantArt?

deviantART
It is our policy to welcome artists of all levels from amateur to professional and to that end we do not attach any minimum standards of quality to deviations submitted by our membership; all manner of artworks are welcome providing they meet with our etiquette and copyright policies. While we do not impose quality standards we do ask that you practice self-moderation in what you choose to submit and that you submit your works into the most appropriate gallery. While we encourage the submission of only your very best works we have provided an area for those submissions which may fall short of that 'top quality' mark; this is your "Scrapbook" gallery and we highly encourage its use.

They are saying that while they welcome all artists at every level from amateur to professional, they want you to submit your very best work, and anything else that has less than the top quality mark should go in scraps gallery? It is like they are saying that your art HAS to be good enough for them to be submitted to DeviantArt.

Again, I have more cons than pros. . . That is how I feel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:57 pm
I think DA is the best artist gallery hosting site out there, unless something else amazing has showed up I don't know about. They have the fewest limitations for free users.
I remember art gallery sites before DA, usually they weren't very nice-looking or you had to pay to host more than a handful of images. There were some decent ones out there, but they tended to be a specialized genre, like fantasy or furry. DA is the only one I know of that's all kinds of art and you find people from many genres there.  

Imaginary Fox

Aged Dabbler

9,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Blade of the Contessa

Unforgiving Duelist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:17 am
dA is the perfect platform for budding and professional artists alike to showcase their work, connect with fellow artists and so on which I find very good. There are so many genres and fandoms available which makes it awesome: if you like something, chances are you'll definitely find art of it up on dA.

The only problem I have with dA is that sometimes certain users try to turn it into more of a social networking site rather than one to showcase artwork and share interests. Granted, making friends is good, but some users look like they're just trying to gain popularity on the Net and not focusing on the main point: creating and loving art. You get the occasional troll here and there and the ones who're only out there to get a 'watch for a watch' or a 'fave for a fave'.  
{::The Official DeviantArt Guild::}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games