Welcome to Gaia! ::

Something Magical

Back to Guilds

This is a place where pagans, witches, and others who wish to know can come to learn from each other, and grow! 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Magic, Witchcraft, New Generation 

Reply *~General Discussion and Debate~*
Will this work? Is this possible?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:50 am
Okay, so I have depersonalization/derealization..
It is honestly the most horrible disorder to live with.
My symptoms are a 24 hour thing, every day.
I want it gone more than anything in the world.
I wouldn't wish this disorder on my worst enemy, seriously.
That's how bad it is.
And it just hit me the other day,
can't I try to get rid of it using magic?
And maybe if I ask the god and goddess,
and do a ritual every day,
would they help it go away?
And if so, does anybody know a good ritual, or spell I can do?
Thank you smile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:06 pm
Well since both of those are closely associated with anxiety and panic disorders I would guess that if you work on meditative grounding to gain more control of your breathing you may gain some control over it.
As for spell work you could try daily grounding perhaps find a good stone that helps you ground and center to carry with you.
I don't have a spell though I would say if you approach it as an anxiety or panic disorder and craft a spell to help limit or alleviate this trigger it may help you day to day.
As it likely also has a chemical component to it, I am not sure you can completely solve the problem with magic or meditation, but they may at least give you better control over it.
Herbs to consider would be chamomile, valerian, or catnip. All of them can be taken in either tea or capsule form and are considered calmatives.  

MercyWild
Crew

Blessed Seeker

7,475 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

Trusty Shamrock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:24 pm
i think it could work... i dunt know any spell for it tho ninja sorry. but i think magic can probably somehow do anythin 3nodding well i like thinkin so at least
GOOD LUCK!
but...yea also mebbe they make medicine for it neutral but if you wanna find a magic way to do it thats snazzy too! 3nodding i hope somthin helps  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:32 pm
MercyWild
Well since both of those are closely associated with anxiety and panic disorders I would guess that if you work on meditative grounding to gain more control of your breathing you may gain some control over it.

*Raises hand as a person with social phobia and general anxiety disorder*

I don't know much about depersonalization/derealization, but as someone with anxiety, I can verify that mediation helps me. Staying focused in the moment, focusing on what's going on now and how I feel about it and what I'm moving me towards helps. Setting intentions and goal for the day along with taking scheduled breaks to reflect and refocus is a powerful tool. Taking time out to remind myself that I am safe and everything is ok can be very productive so long as the mediation is actually objectively true. If I'm failing a class or an interview is going badly or someone is acting aggressively or I'm driving in an blizzard on slippery roads then I need to start taking some more practical steps to alleviate my nerves. Sometimes acknowledging that hey, I'm in a dangerous scenario and things might go wrong helps. If the things that could go wrong aren't fatal, I can make most of the excess nerves go away.

When I'm having a panic attack (which is often at least once a week) I remember to breathe deeply from the diaphragm in measured slow four counts in and out. I try to focus in on my pulse and bringing it down to normal, and generally speaking I can get them to pass pretty quickly by zoning in on breathe and taking a moment away from whatever confrontation triggered me.

Chants, token objects,symbols, and specific gestures meant to re-focus me away from what's got my hackles up also helps. Exercise and movement have often been my friend.

For me though it's been about 1.) Becoming and staying self aware enough to catch myself the phase before falling apart 2.) Keeping up a healthy way of letting off the "excess energy" that is a symptom of being anxious all the time. If there isn't some kind of movement I tend to mentally, emotionally, and sometimes physically hurt myself just because I'm pent up with the overwhelming urge that everything is wrong something bad is going to happen if I don't do something NOW

Quote:
As for spell work you could try daily grounding perhaps find a good stone that helps you ground and center to carry with you.

Other objects like worry beads or something one associates with safety or calm or positive experiences could help too. A photo maybe. I've created a few sigils that help me. A heathen friend of mine suggested runes, but I'm not knowledgeable enough in heathen lore to use them appropriately.

Quote:
I don't have a spell though I would say if you approach it as an anxiety or panic disorder and craft a spell to help limit or alleviate this trigger it may help you day to day.

I'm not sure eliminating the trigger is good or even possible. It's not like a fear of heights where one can avoid places with a view or by never climbing past a certain rung on a ladder (not that I'm saying that's the best solution for people afraid of heights either). I mean I'm anxious right now over nothing in specific. There is literally nothing to avoid. Other times I want to avoid paying bills because I'm afraid to go to the post office or I want to avoid riding in cars because I'm afraid that we'll get side swiped while making a left hand turn. These are ridiculous fears and I can not and should not, even were it possible, avoid these triggers. Beyond that, the triggers are not the same all the time. There strength and specifics vary on a lot of factors.

I qualify some of my chants and mantras as spells, but they aren't meant as a "cure" in the way that I think the op is looking for. It's more like a counter balance, another point to focus on, a reminder, a call for a little more strength to keep me from slipping. The panic is there, the worrying and rash decisions and sometimes the avoidance and backsliding. That's something I've got to deal with and I imagine others have their own problems greater and lesser than mine they deal with too.

Quote:
As it likely also has a chemical component to it, I am not sure you can completely solve the problem with magic or meditation, but they may at least give you better control over it.

Agreed. Magic is not the cure. I don't know enough about gods to definitively state whether they would grant your plea but it seems unlikely. Why would they take your depersonalization/derealization away?

Quote:
Herbs to consider would be chamomile, valerian, or catnip. All of them can be taken in either tea or capsule form and are considered calmatives.

I've used peppermint and lavender that way too.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:56 pm