14,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:06 pm
katsumii
NightAngels

User Image

I been studying a lot on cultures, and I for one saw that each of us has a unique culture. Culture is: language, things we celebrate yearly, or daily, maybe even weekly like BBQs and things like that. Even our values, norms, the way we think is culture.

Like Krayzeh wrote the word "shite" I didn't know what it was because it is mostly from the England culture. : )

See what I mean? If not, you are welcome to ask me questions.

That's so very true!

It's probably just because I'm American, but: I honestly don't think there are any words I/my friends use that aren't used elsewhere in the English-speaking world. o.o I think a lot of cultures have words I've never heard of, which is interesting. Like I said, though, I probably only think this because I'm used to the words I say, but ... from my experience ... my area uses really generic words. lol

/ramble

♥ kat ✽

User Image

Glad you saw it : ), and yeah you are right, many cultures do have words that American's have never heard of.

Sometimes we are so used to the things around us, we kinda overlook them and end up missing how important or how significant those things can be to us. We end up noticing them when we don't have them, such as when we move from country or state, we start seeing a whole difference around us and miss the things we used to have. That's when we notice that we are different as much as the difference of our new environment. XD

(sorry ramble too lol)  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:14 pm
K R A Y Z E H
Shut it! K R A Y Z E H' S talkin'!

~~~~~~~~

Sorry, that came out a little too harsh.
It's just England doesn't have festivals and such.
We don't really celebrate a part from the main holidays.
When i read people who dicuss their cultures i get really jealous. sweatdrop

The most cultural experience (from my town area) is the 24/7 Take Out.User Image

~~~~~~~~

Right, NOW you can talk!

Well there is going to be the Olympics on 2012 and their is going to be a lot about your culture there : ).  

NightAngels

Beloved Explorer

14,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Conversationalist 100

FairieCorpse624

6,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:40 pm
Well I am Hispanic and from Italian decent. :]

I am Puertorican and was raised in Puerto Rico.
Puertoricans are part Taino Indian, Spanish and African.

We have our problems, but I love this little island to death <3

Hm...not sure what else to say really besides the fact that we get two "christmas's (sorry don't know how to write it)
We have Christmas and then in January we have 3 Kings Day (Dia de Reyes)

Oh and this Friday is Noche Puertorique~a. It's the day we celebrate the discovery of Puerto Rico...mm...yeah I don't know what to write and either way I think I'm writing too much. x]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:00 pm
im Mexican
my parents are also from Mexico smile i also love tamales and binuelos!!! there ssooooooo good!! i luv tacos de lengua. and dancing the music (cant really dance but it's fun!!)  

Synyster Nytemare

Tipsy Shapeshifter

10,675 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Nudist Colony 200

Sophisticated Simplicity

Greedy Cat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:45 pm
I'm Chinese, born and raised in China until I was around 12 years old or so, and moved to Canada with my parents. Even though it's been many years and I've completely adapted to the new environment here - in fact, some would say that I'm more attuned to the Western culture - my family still kept a lot of the Chinese traditions. We speak Chinese at home, eat mostly Chinese food, celebrate almost all of the Chinese holidays, etc. I quite enjoy them, not just because I'm Chinese but as an intellectual, I find the culture very interesting. With such a vast, rich history, there's always something new to learn.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 pm
I am more than 3/4 Polish. There's a negligible amount of Irish, German, and French mixed in too.

I'm Caucasian. We have almost no ethnic diversity where I come from... there were three Asian kids and one African American kid at my high school.

Somewhat fortunately, my mom (who came here from Poland in her 20's) creates a lot of cultural diversity in our family. I don't like a lot of the Polish food like sauerkraut, borscht, cabbage rolls (hamburger and rice rolled in cooked cabbage), bigos (think sauerkraut mixed with sausage so it turns orange), and everything mushroom--mushroom gravy, mushroom soup, you name it.

I like Polish holiday stuff, though. They celebrate St. Nicholas Day, December 6th... basically it's just the present part of their Christmas, so we always get some small present (candy, usually) that day. On Christmas Eve, we fast until the evening meal, Wigilia (pronounced VEE-lee-uh), which is like five courses with religious bread wafer things before it. Then we get to open our stocking presents (the presents my godfather brings us every Sunday of Advent... but that's unique to my family), then we go to mass. After that, we get to open all our presents Christmas Eve.

Hersheydudette

Huntress_Lena

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:07 pm
I'm chinese, or at least, i think that's my ethnicity. ^^'
I'm an ABC, to be more correct, American Born Chinese. My parents were born and lived in China and i was born in the US.
To say that your American...that just means that it's a mix of culture's isn't it? like...America is just a bunch of immigrants back then..so the same now rite?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:42 pm
Ethnicity: Caucasian/Filipino, but everyone thinks I look Hispanic >.>
Culture: American
Born and raised in Florida smile
My mom is 3/4ths Filipino and 1/4th Irish ^^ So we usually have a ton of Filipino food, like pandasal bread, chicken adobo, pancit, and lumpia, and potatoes for every meal sweatdrop My mom is from a Navy family, so she picked up some cultural habits from Hawaii, Japan, Boston and Florida. My maternal grandfather is from the Philippines biggrin
My dad is such a Euro mutt >.< He's part Irish, French, English, Scottish, Swedish, Swiss, and German and many more... lol. His father was in the Navy as well and picked up different accents from living in Hawaii, Iowa, Chicago, Alabama, and Florida. He also learned Korean when he lived there during his toddler years. Our family dinners can range from curry to saur-braten, haha...
I love my diverse family ^^  

The Smoking Robot

Hyper Nerds Eat Cookies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:25 pm
I am Caucasian. Born and raised in Texas, y'all.
But I will attempt to name all the countries from Europe that I know of that I come from:
Germany
Austria
Czechoslovakia
Ireland
Scotland
and so many more that I just can't name.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:38 pm
Huntress_Lena
I'm chinese, or at least, i think that's my ethnicity. ^^'
I'm an ABC, to be more correct, American Born Chinese. My parents were born and lived in China and i was born in the US.
To say that your American...that just means that it's a mix of culture's isn't it? like...America is just a bunch of immigrants back then..so the same now rite?

Yes, true. From what I recall, most Americans were in fact from Europe trying to scape King George V or something lol... Americans were from other places... that just goes to show that most American's were immigrants... except don't forget the Indians who were here before America was discovered and settled in. : )
However, if Americans were originally immigrants, how come their is hate on immigration today? Some so called "Americans" just can't accept the fact that they were originally immigrants. Get my point? surprised

NightAngels

Beloved Explorer

14,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Conversationalist 100

reyolistuhy

6,800 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:22 pm
I am Puerto Rican and Italian.
I was conceived in P.R. and born in Oklahoma.
I love my cultures since both of them concern food greatly and I love food. heart There is always new food to try out but the rice, beans and fish are great! As for my Italian side, I just love lasagna that its my favorite food.
Another reason is the culture relates more over family and sticking together, which I love as well. My family are jokers and can be party animals. XD  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:37 pm
My ethnicity is Caucasian, and my nationality is American.
My ancestry includes Scottish, German, Cherokee, and French.

I was born in Texas, and grew up between three different states; Texas,
Nebraska, and California.

We make a wide variety of food at home (everything from Italian to Asian), but German food has always been a big thing in my house. My parents and I are pretty close knit, but it's not so much with the rest of the family,
since we're all pretty much scattered across the country (we live in Georgia; most of our family members live in the midwest and west coast; mainly Missouri, Texas, and Washington). I guess we're pretty much a typical American family? XD We like a wide variety of things, celebrate the usual holidays... etc. We don't really obsess over our ancestry too much, but we agknowledge it.  

Ophrysia

flangella

Wheezing Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:44 pm
I'm split basically down the middle.
My mother is of Korean decent and my father is Scottish.
I'm American, born and raised, however.
Gotta' love the different foods.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:09 pm

User Image

I'm reading every single post ^_^
You girls are great!
We should embrace our culture and embrace others too.
Even if we don't seem to have a culture for
some us, we can always try new things, or
sometimes our culture is there, but we just need to
search for it and give it a try. : )

NightAngels

Beloved Explorer

14,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Puffiefish

5,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:39 pm
-I'm Haitian.
and of French/African/Taíno(Arawak Native Indians) descent
All my family is from Haiti. My mom's dad's ancestors' came from
France, so my mom's side of the family looks more like mulattoes.
Born in Miami but was raised in Central Florida & I hate living in Florida -.-"

-The best thing is the food 3nodding My favorite food is fried plantains *mmm*
We eat a lot like Hispanic people and have the same kinds of foods.
I speak Creole(traditional), French Creole & French. My parents also speak Spanish.

-And what I like is that Haiti was the only country to have an
African slave revolt and succeeded to get their freedom....
but of course they wouldn't put that part of history in the textbooks.
rolleyes

-I guess there's also Indian blood somewhere
Before the slaves came, the Taíno people inhabited parts of the Antilles.

It's A Girl Thing!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff