Welcome to Gaia! ::

Something Magical

Back to Guilds

This is a place where pagans, witches, and others who wish to know can come to learn from each other, and grow! 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Magic, Witchcraft, New Generation 

Reply *~General Discussion and Debate~*
Does timing/tools matter to you?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artistic Genocide
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:25 pm
Hey guildies!

This is a question I've been mulling over for a while now, and I'm curious:

Does the timing of when you do your spells or rituals matter?
Does doing them at night vs. the day matter?
What about moon phases?
What about hours? Does that matter?

What about tools?
What kind of tools do you use?
Do you use a lot of different tools?
Are they specific for a specific purpose and can not be used for anything else? Ex: a certain wand for protection spells vs. a wand for healing?
Do you have to use those tools within your practice or can something be substituted for something else?

Do you feel that ascribing to specific times for things or specific tools inhibits a person? Why or why not?

Discuss!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:06 pm
Does the timing of when you do your spells or rituals matter? Not as much as the need or intent.
Does doing them at night vs. the day matter? I have never seen much of a difference in effectiveness between the two. In general my spells and rituals are worked at night but for a practical purpose, my daughter is in bed and not distracting me. Being able to concentrate and put my focus into it is much more important than whether the sun is up or not.
What about moon phases? I do try to line things up with the correct moon phase because I do actively worship the moon and draw on the energy from it. This isn’t always an option though; sometimes I cast for medical emergencies so I have to forgo waiting on the appropriate moon phase.
What about hours? Does that matter? Not so much. With my life it is horribly impractical to try to cast at such a specific time.

What about tools? They can be practical, but often times I think we trick ourselves into thinking they are more nessicary than they really are, depending on them too heavily and collecting so many that they can actually detract from the magic.
What kind of tools do you use? I try to keep it simple, a mortar and pestle, a working knife and my pentacle.
Do you use a lot of different tools? Only when they are necessary: I use my candle snuffer if the spell I was working required a candle, I use my wand when I feel I need to direct energy more precisely than my hand alone can, a cauldron if I need to burn something or brew something.
Are they specific for a specific purpose and cannot be used for anything else? Ex: a certain wand for protection spells vs. a wand for healing? I find it space consuming as well as economically wasteful to have different tools for different purposes.
Do you have to use those tools within your practice or can something be substituted for something else? I can substitute and improvise all I need.
Do you feel that ascribing to specific times for things or specific tools inhibits a person? Why or why not? It would inhibit me, because of my personality and life style, it is neither practical nor appealing for me to practice in such a manner. However others may thrive on such structure and certainty, their life style may lend itself better to such things.  

MercyWild
Crew

Blessed Seeker

7,475 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

Sanguina Cruenta

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:34 am
Artistic Genocide

For the most part, no. Sometimes I'll try to perform a sabbat ritual at the actual moment of the sabbat, astronomically, but it's often not possible.

Quote:

It depends on the spell itself. Sometimes I feel like sunlight is important. With spells it's much less relevant to me than rituals - I perform rituals at night because of the import of atmosphere to my rites.

Quote:
What about moon phases?

Only relevant to moon rites, on my part wink

Quote:

Nope.

Quote:
What about tools?

Very little. For spells, maybe a cord or a pen and paper. For rituals, I have a hammer for my blots, but otherwise just candles and incense. And cups for offerings and libations. I have a wand, but I haven't worked out what to do with it yet.

Quote:
Are they specific for a specific purpose and can not be used for anything else? Ex: a certain wand for protection spells vs. a wand for healing?

The odd rite or spell has involved a cord or ribbon that I can't use again for anything else. But that's it really.

Quote:
Do you have to use those tools within your practice or can something be substituted for something else?

My practice is very come-as-you-are. I use what I have to hand.

Quote:
Do you feel that ascribing to specific times for things or specific tools inhibits a person? Why or why not?

I would find it inhibiting.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:09 pm
i guess if its a really big important spell ninja
im sorta a'scared of the dark whee so i like doing magic durin the day or else i feel like im doing cult stuff.
What about moon phases?
i pretty much only pay attention teh waning and waxing! 3nodding cuz it has that banishing and gaining thing. and full. full goes both ways right? ninja i dont remember what new moons and eclipses do
like planetary hours? ninja i almost learned about that but it was soo confusing gonk
Do you use a lot of different tools? i like ritual daggers for castin circles and puttin out candles and whatnot! 3nodding tis my favorite. do herbs count as tools? ninja cuz i use those too. i dont use a wand that much.... but i guess i could.
only stuff that was made for somthin special like dolls and candles
yush! evil mostly time! cuz i gotta be in the right mood to do magic so i can concentrate and its hard to schedule good moods gonk  

Trusty Shamrock

Little Batwing
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:49 pm
Sometimes. As far as the actual time of day? Not really, unless the spell specifically calls for it, like using sun or moon energy. In general I just prefer to do them when I'm home alone so that I won't be distracted.
Not really, either works fine, but sometimes I'll choose evening or night, because I've gotten everything else I needed to do that day out of the way, so it's a little more relaxed and I'm less likely to be distracted.
What about moon phases?
I pay attention to the moon phases. So far I feel like they help grant power to different types of spells. I always save the most important, powerful spells for the full moon, as well as using the full moon to charge items. Banishing and protecting spells, I usually save for new moon, and I also made a spell that calls on the crescent phase specifically (still experimenting with whether waning or waxing works better for it).
To me, not really. It tends to be better to cast a spell when I feel the most focused and energized, rather than waiting or worrying what time it is. Time limits make me feel too... well... limited.

Candles and stones, mainly.
Not really. I'd like to start using a wand, but I want to find the right branch for it, and the right crystal for it. I also want a small cauldron, but I haven't seen any around here.
Are they specific for a specific purpose and can not be used for anything else?
I have an angel statue that doubles as a candle holder, which I use when I light a candle to a female deity (or nature spirits, since it's a nature-themed angel), or when I perform a spell that invokes a female deity. That doesn't mean I absolutely won't use it otherwise, but I that's what I most prefer to use it for. I've decided I won't use it for male deities though; I want to find a different, less feminine candle holder for them, as long as it's still something special and unique.
Substitutions are all right with me, I prefer to use what ever I have around, rather than worrying about what I don't have. For example, if I don't have a candle in the color I want for a spell, I'll use a white one as a substitute.
Yes, in a lot of cases it's better just to rely on and trust your own energy, especially when you don't have certain tools, or when the tools aren't working. The same goes for when you don't have the time to do a spell at a specific hour or moon phase.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:46 pm
It depends. Generally I'd say yes, but there are certain cases where the immediate need is more important.

In general no, however I find it easier to concentrate and focus my energy when it's dark, so I personally prefer doing it at night.

What about moon phases?
I do believe it's important, but again the need can be more important.

I don't really pay too close attention to it.

What about tools?
Some tools are more important than others

I have a wide varity. It depends on what kind of spell or ritual I'm doing.

I think I just answered that.

Usually not. The only exception is that I have two wands, one for full moon rituals and a second for all others. One was a gift so I'd feel bad not putting it to use...that's the only reason I use two lol

They could easily be substituted. I just use them because it's what I prefer.

Definitely. It limits what you can do and when, and makes it more difficult to do spells in an "emergency" situation.

Ziekara
Crew

kaelub king of wiccan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:51 pm
lets just say all of that goes into play  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:03 pm
Yes, but not as in "time of day" so much as "correct state of mind."

I have more uninterrupted time at night, so I tend to do rituals then, but I celebrate solar holidays outside in full sun.

What about moon phases?
I try to time important spells with the phases, but it is not extremely significant.

Nope.

What about tools?
I use them to assist me.

Stones, metals, crystals, gem, fresh herbs, dried herbs, athame, boline, ritual book, altar, altar cloth, various incenses, home made and store bought candles, tarot cards, runes, chalk.

I believe the list speaks for itself.

Not unless I'm doing some serious banishing, and I've never had to do that. =D

Nope, substitutions are fine.

Being too rigidly attached to certain times or items is inhibiting, yes. Being adaptable and flexible is good, even if you have a favorite item or time, it is good to be able to see them as being only tools and not the be-all, end-all of your practice.

ShoujoAiKat

Shiny Luminosity

Girl-Crazy Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:27 pm
Does the timing of when you do your spells or rituals matter? To me, I prefer night because I feel more awake then and can concentrate, but that's just me.

Does doing them at night vs. the day matter? See above. I am as nocturnal as a high schooler can be, so night so I am awake.

What about moon phases?
Very much matters to me, I try and correspond every spell and ritual I do to the moon phase that would make it most effective.

Nah, not really, unless you're ringing in a specific day, like Samhain or something.

What kind of tools do you use? I work heavily with stones and gems, I have a little metal bowl that's good for quite a lot, my staff, candles, string (white cotton and black cotton), paper, pencils, and a three ring binder to observe and to put instructions in (ie, my BoS...). I want a pentacle, but can't get one til I'm eighteen, and my mom would throw a fit is I had a ritual knife... plus, kind of unsure what to do with one... xd

Yeah, but not all at once, usually content with a few stones (especially my amethyst), maybe a candle, and myself.

I have a certain segment of string that is used especially for binding spells, but that's it. smile

Do you have to use those tools within your practice or can something be substituted for something else? Substitution is A-OK.

Do you feel that ascribing to specific times for things or specific tools inhibits a person? Why or why not? Not sure, maybe it's different for everyone.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:59 pm
Sometimes. It depends on what I am doing. I try and do certain rituals and offerings on certain days.

Again, sometimes. Spiritual power seems to be heightened during the day, but there are benefits to doing workings during the day as opposed to the night.

What about moon phases?
Not particularly. I will sometimes do scrying during the full moon and certain rituals during the dark of the moon.

Planetary hours, I assume? I do not use them.

What about tools?

I have many various tools that I use, yes.

Depends on what I am doing. I will usually always have my stang with me if I go out into the wilderness. I also have wands that I use as well. I have a long black wand (Thorn) that I have consecrated for baneful use. I have not yet had to use it for that purpose.

Wands, cards, a mirror that I am working on, dice, a goat skull, a cup and bowls. Sigil powder that I am working on, plants and jars and various materials for making talismans and dolls and such.

I have one wand that is my all around wand. My uncle made me a crooked wand that is used in Cornish traditions of witchcraft for gathering various types of Sprowl (or serpent energy). I use it for pulling in energies for my spellcraft.

They can be substituted. The tools are merely focusing objects. A finger is a wand if one believes it to be a wand.

I believe it depends on the practitioner. I think that it helps to focus myself, but they are not necessary. As a friend of mine constantly tells me "A witch should be able to cast naked in a concrete bunker." and I agree with him.  

Cunning Witch Angus

*~General Discussion and Debate~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff