Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Being TOO in-character..? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SakuraRico

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:39 pm
I was cosplaying a Dr. Ryuji Hirasaka from Nightshift Nurses at Kaisen this last saturday. I lived the part of my character when this Miku Hatsune girl passed out from heat stroke, and I was the one who responded.

Her friend is fanning her while she is on the "bleachers" of the colloseum. I'm drinking a gatorade, when I walk up to them and ask them if everything if alright. She just tells me "She fainted". I dropped everything I had and ran to get the security team and the organizers, since the medical team had already left.

I had taken First Aid classes with the best professor I could find. I actually remembered some of the things to do in case of heat stroke, and I started yelling out orders to everyone. "Bring the cold packs from the snack bar!!!" " Bring a gatorade" "find ice for some water!" " Cut the power to the stage and plug in the fan!!!" "Bring the cooler lids and fan her!!!" " Cold Packs to her neck, armpits and crotch area (That last one I asked her female friend to do)" , and so on.

I was with them until the paramedics took her into the ambulance, where they took care of the girl. The people responsible for her, two 18 year old girls, I told them steps to follow and what to do and so on. Everybody thought I was a real doctor O_O

Looking back on it, it was fun actually, the organizers even told me "Never thought you'd play the part of a doctor, you butcher!" (I studied culinary arts...)

Interesting times....  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:14 am
chobits_chii123
Now, there's a topic for "Do you cosplay in-character?", but I thought this to be different enough that it could deserve its own topic.

There seems to be levels for cosplaying in character: Not at all; a little, or only for special events; enough to really make your character pop out; and "Omfg, did that Kakashi REALLY just put a thousand years of pain on that Naruto!?!"

I've always wondered about being "TOO in-character". I mean, if your character's a jerk and you're being a jerk to everyone around you, that's no fun. But I've seen stories around like, Team Rocket takes an Ash's Pokemon plushie, or a No Face follows a Chihiro from a distance to give her a bath token.

Here's a personal experience:
My friends took me to a Hetalia panel at Youmacon last year, and there was this Sealand guy who kept interjecting, "I AM SO A COUNTRY!" to anyone who denied such. It was a little annoying, yes, but it made the panel extra fun and he was being in character from what I understand (I've never actually seen Hetalia...ehe). I thought it was just enough to where is wasn't too much, y'know?

Opinions? Discussion?
Is being full-out in character rude, creepy, annoying? Does it make things more fun, spice up the convention?
Is there a line between being "too in-character" and "overdoing it"?
Do you have any stories you wanna share, personal or passed through the grape vine?

Your story reminded me of one at a Hetalia pannel I went to.
It was a Summitt Meeting, and the Powers were deciding what to have for lunch. A Hunny cosplayer raised his hand, and when he was called on, very cutely yelled out: "Will there be cake?"

Everyone there went: "AWWWWWW!"
And it was pretty hilarious. xD

Hopefully I'll be cosplaying Tamaki Suou soon, and when I do I wanna be in character. :'D I plan on flirting will all the girls, and maybe even passing out roses! xD

Normally, though, I'm never in character. At a convention, I'm too excited and too hyper to remember to act like my characters. So far most of the characters I've been have been calmer people that I ever am.  

egoxromantic

Anxious Conventioneer

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:34 pm
I'm usually all for being in character but only to a certain limit. Knowing when to stop is really my main limit but there are some people who are just annoying even when they stay in character for a few minutes.

Personal story:

>CTCon 08
>cosplaying Red Scout for shits and giggles
>friends all cosplay Hetalia
>see them and start talking about random stuff
>they have a few people from one of the panels following them, think nothing of it
>tap friend on head with foam bat
>random Sealand runs up to me screaming
>"THAT'S MEAN WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT STOP IT!"
> wait what? Who is this b***h?
>girl starts trying to kick my shin
>use old soccer skills to avoid her tiny little feet of fury
>tell her to ******** off, I'm friends with these people
>Sealand walks off in a huff, clings to one of my friends
>they all tell me later that they had no idea who she was and found her annoying
>get nasty looks whenever I see her for the remainder of the weekend
>iaintevenmad.jpg

Pretty sure this girl thought she was Sealand.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:19 pm
I'm only in character depending on the character. Like when cosplay sailor moon or chbi moon, totally in character. Now for rude characters, it's not cool to be rude to everyone but only in some situations...  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items