Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Bible Thumpers at Anime Conventions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LovelyLadyAurora

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:08 pm
OhNoesItsMiho
Where is Fanime exactly? Do the protesters do that nonsense every year? X.x

San Jose, northern CA and apparently they do.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:43 pm
That's ridiculous. That bugs me and I don't even attend Fanime. If they wanna protest, I think they should do it elsewhere. Well, since viewing some of those videos, some of the cosplayers found it amusing. XD  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Mao-sensei

Magnetic Player

6,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:00 am
User Image
I remember going to Fanime in 2008 and seeing them protest in front of the convention center. They had a black and white sign that said "Turn to Jesus, or Burn in Hell", and some of the angry con attendees were arguing with them, about ready to start a riot.
Then, suddenly, the crowd split to make a path and everyone chanted, "Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!" The Jesus cosplayer made his way through the crowd and stood by the protesters. He posed for pictures in front of their sign. For a good ten minutes the protesters were awestruck and silent. It was amazing. And hilarious. 4laugh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:32 am
It's people like this that ruin stuff like cons for other people, I just ignore them and if they insist on pushing their bs I tell them to leave me the f*** alone and get out of my face  

The Lone Wolf Jedi

3,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250

Texan-Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:33 am
I'm a Christian but seeing those people irk the crap outta me. Christ did teach acceptance and love so why can't they just drop that annoying bullcrap? Jesus is a top priority in my life but making myself look stupid on the streets (protesting, not cosplaying) is not.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:40 am
Texan-Werewolf
I'm a Christian but seeing those people irk the crap outta me. Christ did teach acceptance and love so why can't they just drop that annoying bullcrap? Jesus is a top priority in my life but making myself look stupid on the streets (protesting, not cosplaying) is not.

Lol! If only they felt what you felt about the situation.

These people are so extreme I thought it maybe just artists doing this for a project or something. Ha!  

LovelyLadyAurora

Hikage CaLima-Ahzei

Elfin Guildsman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:34 pm
Did anyone go to the Fakku booth at A-Kon???

maybe they were protesting at the wrong con??

The Jesus Story sounds Hilarious they should do that every year !!

EDIT : Ok so what exactly were they protesting?? I hope it wasnt Anime in general?? Cuz ive seen a Jesus Manga. So why are they complaining??

Eff, Religiion.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:36 pm
Hearing about these protests makes me think that this is going to happen at every con. Good thing I'm not going to Otakon this year (though my dad didn't let me since all my money is going towards college. *sighs* Too bad Otakon 2008 was my only con experience) because I think there may be protests going on there too.  

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:17 pm
I think it is weird because I htink they are trying 2 convince us, but yet they are insulting us 1st by calling us satanist or yelling at us.
I am sure it is easier 2 catch flys with sugar than with vinegar, so I think if those bible thumpers are going about the whole situation and wrong and if they actually wanted 2 convince people 2 follow there cause they should try 2 be nicer and actually follow up with what they are saying with actual text from the bible.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:56 pm
And THAT is why I don't talk about my religion.

On a lighter note, Con-Jesuses rock. My personal favorite.

No_Pun_Intended

Alien Werewolf

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:05 am
Ugh, seriously, people need to get over themselves. Do they really think that by insulting people and screaming at attendees, they'll convince people to join them? I'm fairly certain that being rude to people isn't the way to get a point across.

The worst part of this is that there seems to be more and more of them at cons every year, and no one does anything about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:21 am
Nightmarish Fantasy
Oh yeah, I'm a regular Fanime-goer. It was pretty bad last year and the year before.

But every year, we have a Jesus cosplayer, and he goes over to piss them off xD

They always go on and on about how we live in a world of fantasy and stuff about drugs and alcohol lol Year before last it messed up outdoor gatherings.

But yeah, xD ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdzfW9KS03M

I don't honestly know how you guys can take that every year. Seriously, if that happened at the cons I go to/work at, I'd start writing angry letters, or call the police on them, or get a protest permit and hold a protest in that area so they couldn't.

You know, something other than Cosplay Christ, *****, and Raptor Jesus doing the caramell danscen next to them or rick rolling them. Because as hilarious as those things are, they don't really solve anything.

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:15 pm
Cake Filled Love
User Image
I remember going to Fanime in 2008 and seeing them protest in front of the convention center. They had a black and white sign that said "Turn to Jesus, or Burn in Hell", and some of the angry con attendees were arguing with them, about ready to start a riot.
Then, suddenly, the crowd split to make a path and everyone chanted, "Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!" The Jesus cosplayer made his way through the crowd and stood by the protesters. He posed for pictures in front of their sign. For a good ten minutes the protesters were awestruck and silent. It was amazing. And hilarious. 4laugh
I didnt get 2 go 2 Fanime last month but my friend did, he got banned 4 the last 2 days. He got drunk and punched the Jesus cosplayer 4 opening a door then passed out. (the trouble he gets in2 when I am not there.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:09 am
I've seen these bible thumpers and personally I think they are way out of line. They always assume that their right because their interpetation of the bible says so. I could care less if they wanted to stand outside of a convention and protest so long as it was across the street. It's when they start crossing over into the convention itself that it becomes a serious problem. Of course if you try to argue valid points with them then expect whatever logic you have to fly away as they point out " Jesus said so" and then qoute some passage from the bible that most likely has nothing to do with what you're saying.

In truth outside of ignoring them or calling the cops to have them removed then there isn't much else that can be done. I suggest organizing a counter protest against whatever specific church is protesting. Like get cosplayers together with signs that say " Down with harrasment" or " Leave our hobby alone!" and go to one of their rallies and do it right back to them. They will get angry but then they're interupting our convention so why not interupt their conclave? Heck I would even ask the convention head's to file a restraintment order and a no tresspass order against them and make them keep a further distance away from the convention in general. That way when they try to sneak into the convention to protest again then you can call the police and have them jailed for breaking both orders. The best part is their too stupid to cease so the more they come protest the more they spend time in jail.

User_1017918

I_Luvs_Puppets

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:45 am
Oh lord(no pun intended) I love that one Jesus cosplayer. xDDD

But really, I'm kind of surprised that AWA hasn't ran into something like this seeing as we're down south where people are stereotypically Christian bible thumpers. Not saying everyone is but the ones we have are more than vocal enough to make up for it. >.<

Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff