Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Escape the Heat! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SakuraRico

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:39 am
Cons in Puerto Rico, especially the small one with no AC, tend to get, very, VERY hot, and I learned to drink water every so often helps a lot. But not really cold water. I personally like mine at room temperature. And as somebody said, the cold water takes energy to warm up inside you.

Also, since you're wearing pleather, definitely wear a thin layer of clothing underneath, since pleather, pvc vinil and such, tend to absorb the heat and keep it inside.m I learned that one the hard way... *remember walking under the sun with my coat, and steam actually coming out when I unbottoned it*  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:50 am
I mainly go to cons in Texas now so it's reaaaaally hot.
At a-kon this weekend it was over 100 all weekend.

I tried to find ways to stay inside. Walkways and whatnot.

Also, always take the free fans they hand out. XD Live savers.
Stay hydrated. That actually helps a lot.
Don't run around.
Take breaks to just sit and cool down. Taking breaks in the video rooms is usually the best place. It's dark, not too many people, and it's usually cold.  

Kinxed

5,650 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:57 pm
The one time I went to a con in summer, I was sweating, but not really feeling the heat. And I was in an Orochimaru cosplay, complete with wig and makeup...

The makeup didn't last due to it not being waterproof, but still.

Anyway, all the advice suggested here is great and correct. I also add, don't use leather/pleather/synthetic fabrics if you can avoid them. The more natural and lighter the cloth, the better. And dark colors don't help either...  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:44 pm
I'm facing a similar problem. I'm wearing long silk pants (hot fabric), pleather boots (hot fabric), a long robe/coat type thing that is mainly doubled velvet (hot and heavy fabric) a pleather vest over that (hot fabric) long satin cape (heavy and hot fabric), pleather gloves (this is getting old...) and a long wig (Anyone who has had long hair (real or fake); it is hot!) This is all for my newest cosplay.

The solution I came up with...have a tank top under it, take off everything except the tank top, pants, and shoes to cool down when needed. I'd rather not pass out XP And trust me, its a scary thing to see happen to someone else. i don't want to be in their shoes.

And of course as many others have said, water and air conditioning/cool outside when possible.  

celestrialdarkmoon

13,665 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:38 am
One suggestion is to pick heavy-er (i.e more layers) costumes for winter cons and less-clothed characters for summer cons? D:

I don't know if that's the best advice, because weather differs all over the world. But it's a suggestion! C:  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff