Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Escape the Heat! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sadistic Rainbows

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:29 pm
I was asking my grandmother about how to stay cool at a con, since my costume is made out of pleather. My coat that reaches down to my ankles is made of all pleather. She told me to wear a black tank top, black cotton shorts, and some reeeaaallllyyy black stockings underneath. I'm going as (organization)Roxas from KH. I like the idea, because I'm going to desperately need it.

So my question was, how do you escape the heat at a convention? Be it in your costume, in a crowd, outside, etc..

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:59 pm
Bring plenty of cold water. Staying hydrated is important.

Seek out air conditioned spaces, or if it's not too hot out, go outside to cool down.

Take breaks away from crowds. Body heat caused by many people in one room, is annoying to deal with.  

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Kasai_Haigara

Devoted Guildsman

11,025 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:41 pm
I am going to Otakon for the first time this year on July 30-August 1st. I am going to be an akatsuki. What should I wear as shorts/pants and shirt/t-shirt? (I am a boy...)  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:44 pm
Kasai_Haigara
I am going to Otakon for the first time this year on July 30-August 1st. I am going to be an akatsuki. What should I wear as shorts/pants and shirt/t-shirt? (I am a boy...)

A member? I'd go with the actual outfit of one, like Pein, if you're going as a specific one. If you're going as general, do... really whatever. Purple shirt of some sort and shorts.  

cuvier

Fashionable Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Kasai_Haigara

Devoted Guildsman

11,025 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:46 pm
Oh my bad...I will be Itachi  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:29 pm
a muscle shirt over a fishnet shirt, loose pants w/belt, leg guards if you can find them, cloak (of course), sandles but black shoes would work too i guess.  

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100

tokkitoria

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:24 am
Shade and water are the bets plans of action. Also, if there are places around that have air conditioning go into them for a couple minuets to cool off and then go back. I know near the TCC there's the hotels, which are also part of the con, and there are several food places you could try seeking refuge in. I know I'm going to absolutely die this con in my Ouran uniform @-@  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:26 am
Hmm, this tip isn't really about staying cool so much as fighting off the unpleasant effects of heat. Pat some baby powder over places that sweat - in the shoes, behind the knees, between the thighs, under the chest, and inside the elbows. You'll feel cooler if you're not sticky. ^~  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Ashta Nightrayne

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:47 am
Do not drink cold water, it will make you sick and make your body use more energy to warm it up making you extremely tired and hot. Yes it is good every once in a while, but I strongly suggest drinking cool water and at least one bottle of power-aid for the vitamin in it. Of course you can reward yourself with that one bottle of Ramune or soda, but keep yourself hydrated.

Seek shade if your outside, or if you not taking a picture and your in a jacket or something you can take off to cool yourself down, do it to not pass out of a heat stroke! Who cares if your an elitist or not, health is more important then your damn costume. Oh yah, I went there.

Eat! It might sound odd, but eating a fruit or even watermelon will help a lot. Do not eat Ramen every day at at every meal at the con or anything High in salt, other then sweating, the salt will take over and dehydrate you.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:41 pm
While I really don't have too many tips for staying cool in the costumes listed, one the best ways to stay cool is to wear costumes made from natural fibers.

Cotton, linens and silks will wick away sweat and let you breathe, and insulate you from the heat. Polyester and other plastic fabrics will keep the heat against your body, and over heat you.  

Sugar Pucks

Indulgent Demigod

11,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

methuselah.alchemist

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:58 pm
If you have a hotel room, keep the AC on at full blast. So whenever you're getting over-heated, go back to the room for a bit to cool off.

Stay hydrated, like others have said. The con suite usually has water or koolaid or something. I like to carry a water bottle around if it's really hot.

Wear light colored clothing under your costume if it's not going to be visible and you need something. It may have just been my imagination, but I was much cooler when I wore a white tshirt under the Naruto jacket than I was when I wore a black one. Even though the shirt wasn't visible, changing the color seemed to make a big difference.  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:39 pm
Doctor Iris Rowley
While I really don't have too many tips for staying cool in the costumes listed, one the best ways to stay cool is to wear costumes made from natural fibers.

Cotton, linens and silks will wick away sweat and let you breathe, and insulate you from the heat. Polyester and other plastic fabrics will keep the heat against your body, and over heat you.

It's also the safest thing to be wearing if you're caught in a fire. Poly/blend fabrics melt and cling to the skin. Definitely MUCH hotter than cotton. whee  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Demon Horse Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:42 pm
Definately stay hydrated.. What you wear underneath depends on your cosplay..eh...Ex: like if you know your not going to take off your costume at the con, I'd wear nothing extra underneath XD Oh yeah extra weight, like ex: if you carrying bags-carry light or bring a 'pack mule w/ u' ^^
As for my cosplay this summer, and Fl heat and humidity doesn't help, (well 1, it's a quad-fursuit) so I'm going to be hollowing the foam padding and putting some ice packs in some..think the chest area would be best... ..K think that's all I got sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:47 am
...Get by with as little layering as possible. I once turned what looked like five layers of clothing into two layers. I was still hot.
...Using breathable fabrics.
...Getting a room at the convention and keeping it cool is a good idea. It also offers a sweet and less crowded area for picnicking.
...A spritz bottle/fan ((fine mister preferred so it doesn't effect make-up or costume. Putting crushed ice in it is an awesome idea too!))
...seek out the big industrial fans. Some cons have these and are usually found in areas where large groups spend a lot of time, i.e the dealer's room.

As for Roxas: Instead of stockings and shorts. Try some black leggings. Or just the stockings if you aren't planning on taking the jacket off during the con. If you are planning on wearing a wig, wear a wig cap. When people get hot, they tend to mess with their foreheads and scratch their heads. The wig cap will help keep your natural hair from both falling and showing when you do mess with this.  

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

Irrlich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:58 am
This might sound odd, but try eating spicy food. Sure you'll probably flush and sweat innitially, but in the long run it will keep your core temperature stable.
It's one of the reasons tropical food tends to be spicy.

Try to bring an orange along,they stay good for long periods of time, and have pleanty of liquid and vitamins/minerals.

Oh, and don't run. If you must hurry, stride. You'll use less energy that way. Overall, just keep calm and saunter.

If you really do get over heated, take off your shoes and put your feet in a bucket of water. You can also sprinkle water on your forehead.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff