Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
I'm making a homemade ouija board... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:41 am
Calelith
As you were, I was

Pretty much, just watch the video links. Ideomotor Effect is why it works the way it does.

If anything, a Ouija/Spirit board is good for divination, looking inside yourself to find the answers you seek, not to communicate with spirits/demons.
Could you help me understand why you feel it is impossible for supernatural forces to act upon the world either through the bodies of humans or through the physical materials itself?

Calelith
Edit:
Homemade doesn't make it any better. It's just a piece of paper (or word) with numbers, letters, yes, and no placed on it with a piece of paper/plastic/wood to move around the 'board.'

Either way the boards are copyrighted by a Board Game company as is the name. Do you really think if the boards could open up a gateway to another dimension, they would be mass produced by the same people that make Monopoly?

As I am, you will be

I am not sure that Parker Brothers can hold a copyright on the boards themselves. Perhaps on a specific style of board with a certain set of art and materials, but spirit boards and talking boards have been around for a long time.

I do not feel that the boards themselves can do much of anything. Instead I feel they act as a tool for those who can do such things.

To add: It's much the same way that I do not feel a Wiccan Athame can cast a circle or cut a door. The person wielding it in a specific way can however.  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:46 pm
Brass Bell Doll
Could you help me understand why you feel it is impossible for supernatural forces to act upon the world either through the bodies of humans or through the physical materials itself?

As you were, I was

Never said they couldn't act though someone. But the board isn't doing anything. It's just a divination tool, like Tarot cards.

As I am, you will be

Quote:
I am not sure that Parker Brothers can hold a copyright on the boards themselves. Perhaps on a specific style of board with a certain set of art and materials, but spirit boards and talking boards have been around for a long time.

As you were, I was

All Ouija boards made are made by Parker Brothers, well aside from the specialty ones that are made by other people ( like 'witches,' 'mediums,' and the likes ). Parker Brothers either holds a trademark on it or a copyright.

As I am, you will be

Quote:
I do not feel that the boards themselves can do much of anything. Instead I feel they act as a tool for those who can do such things.

As you were, I was

They can't do anything, they are divination tools. A way to look inside yourself to find the answers you seek. You're not talking to someone who died yesterday or 100 years ago.

As I am, you will be

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:57 pm
Brass Bell Doll

oOGarrettOo
I can sum it all up in one sentence:
Because I'm a medium and can see what we're talking to.
I do not feel this addresses my questions.
Being a medium wouldn't necessarily mean that certain spirits are attracted to Talking Boards over any other form of divination nor does it address the questions I have about how the shields are being constructed.

Being a Medium does not address the role others may have played in the use of the board, any errors in perception someone may have experienced or the role that expectations play in interpreting the experience.

Being a Medium wouldn't ensure that her uncle isn't speaking to her, that her experiences could differ from others. It also would not negate the possibility that what you are experiencing is a manifestation of your friend's intentions, rather than an actual spirit.

Being a medium means I can see exactly what's sitting there talking to me/us when it's happening. No, it's not a manifestation of their intentions, I've been doing this long enough to know the difference and your implication that I'm essentially, a naive moron is not appreciated.

To clarify for you, since you always seem to miss these things in the original posts. From the many boards used that I've seen it has been naught but a singular entity, not a spirit, an entity, giving different names and information. I never said all nor any other form of divination.

Divination =/= talking to spirits.

My shields are my shields, constructed the way I like them, and they work very well. They are one of my constructs and I would like to keep them that way. Besides this, the way I construct my shields and barriers has nothing to do with you and I'd appreciate if you didn't request information on them. Just like my other spells and my craft in general.

I wasn't talking about expectation and perception. I was talking about the entity that I saw. Not what was happening on the board other than the occasional "You will die." In which case I laughed. I never said anything about what the board was saying, only that the entity I saw was the same, regardless of name or information.

I never said that she shouldn't use the board. If she wants to, she's her own person. I simply stated my opinion on the matter. I'd ask you not to put words in my mouth, thank you.  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:05 pm
oOGarrettOo
Being a medium means I can see exactly what's sitting there talking to me/us when it's happening. No, it's not a manifestation of their intentions, I've been doing this long enough to know the difference and your implication that I'm essentially, a naive moron is not appreciated.
Please understand that this is not the implication at all.

Instead, as a medium, I am sure that you do experience things that others do not. Having said that, there is no assurance that the initial perceptions are always accurate. What may seem like a departed relative to a friend, seen by you as a prankster entity, may in fact be an emotional construct accidentally generated by your friends.

oOGarrettOo
To clarify for you, since you always seem to miss these things in the original posts. From the many boards used that I've seen it has been naught but a singular entity, not a spirit, an entity, giving different names and information. I never said all nor any other form of divination.
Which is why I am curious about the conclusion.

I feel these boards are simply tools. There is nothing about then that is inherently magical that would explain why mundane materials such as parts of trees, plastic, brass or what have you would be able to attract any specific kind of being.

If the boards themselves attract a specific kind of entity, and a tarot deck, pendulum board or set of runes does not attract them, even if they are made from the same base materials- I would wonder why.

oOGarrettOo
My shields are my shields, constructed the way I like them, and they work very well. They are one of my constructs and I would like to keep them that way. Besides this, the way I construct my shields and barriers has nothing to do with you and I'd appreciate if you didn't request information on them. Just like my other spells and my craft in general.
If we are unable to explore how a situation came into being, how are we to accept the account at face value, especially when it is possible that those who participate with you could be working at cross purposes?

To add: I was thinking about this last night. It is possible that I have read too much into your words, but based on the way things are phrased in the initial post and the responses the situation that seems to be presented is that a group, yourself included, constructed shields and began using a spirit board, only to find a certain kind of being was participating, one that was not welcome. The over riding information is that the being was unwelcome, yet present anyway, your shielding is practiced and effective and that it is specific to the use of Spirit Boards.

It seems that there are five options in that situation:
The first would be that the being was strong enough that it could quash even the best of shields.
The second would be that the shields themselves were not effective.
The third would be that it was already present when the shield was raised, which would be a little like locking the doors and windows after the robber has already strolled in through the front door.
The fourth would be that it was brought in by some of your friends, essentially by them forming a back door through the shields.
The fifth would be that it was created by your friends themselves.

My questions were an attempt to ascertain based on the information provided, which possibility it was, or perhaps to find more information that wasn't previously available that could explain something beyond what I have puzzled out.

oOGarrettOo
I wasn't talking about expectation and perception. I was talking about the entity that I saw. Not what was happening on the board other than the occasional "You will die." In which case I laughed. I never said anything about what the board was saying, only that the entity I saw was the same, regardless of name or information.

I never said that she shouldn't use the board. If she wants to, she's her own person. I simply stated my opinion on the matter. I'd ask you not to put words in my mouth, thank you.

I feel there is a miscommunication, and for my part in it, I apologize. It was not my intention. I do feel that a great deal of the information provided allows for situations that could allow someone, even as devoted and well trained as yourself, to make a mistake and I am curious if this is the case for reasons stated previously. A good deal of this doesn't add up.

Calelith

As you were, I was

Never said they couldn't act though someone. But the board isn't doing anything. It's just a divination tool, like Tarot cards.

As I am, you will be
In which case it would mean there is no assurance that the board is merely a tool to look inside someone for personal answers.

Calelith
As you were, I was

They can't do anything, they are divination tools. A way to look inside yourself to find the answers you seek. You're not talking to someone who died yesterday or 100 years ago.

As I am, you will be

If a supernatural being, such as a spirit or even a god can act upon a person or a physical object, how can we be sure that no one is able to use them to speak to those who have died?  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:52 pm
Brass Bell Doll
Aakosir
I guess it is superstitions for me, but I have heard bad things about them. I like my soul right where it is, thank you. I don't believe it will steal my soul, just added that for drama. But I do not like the thought of finding a malevolent spirit.

Would you say it is fair to state that your opinion is based on hearsay and popular attitudes towards them?

oOGarrettOo
I can sum it all up in one sentence:
Because I'm a medium and can see what we're talking to.
I do not feel this addresses my questions.
Being a medium wouldn't necessarily mean that certain spirits are attracted to Talking Boards over any other form of divination nor does it address the questions I have about how the shields are being constructed.

Being a Medium does not address the role others may have played in the use of the board, any errors in perception someone may have experienced or the role that expectations play in interpreting the experience.

Being a Medium wouldn't ensure that her uncle isn't speaking to her, that her experiences could differ from others. It also would not negate the possibility that what you are experiencing is a manifestation of your friend's intentions, rather than an actual spirit.

xXx kitsy xXx
Home-made things work better.
At times, yes. In this case, it can work as a disadvantage if the board itself isn't constructed properly. The key is ensuring the planchette can move across the board with ease.

xXx kitsy xXx
Using a ouija board will most likely call the closest entity, be it friendly or not.

May I ask why you feel this is the case?

Yes, definitly hearsay, but the popular attitudes impression is changing. If I were with someone who knew what they were doing I might witness a session, but never by myself.  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:33 pm
Aakosir
Yes, definitly hearsay, but the popular attitudes impression is changing. If I were with someone who knew what they were doing I might witness a session, but never by myself.

I feel that is fair.
I have a mistrust of the popular attitude towards Spirit Boards.

I feel much of it was shaped by fiction. Older planchettes often were set on a roller across a single layer of letters. Most of what we see now was adapted by combining a roaming planchette with the layout used during "Spirit Glass" games- often an upturned Sherri glass was moved near letters.

I have seen quality Talking Boards work very well with those who enter into the experience with the proper preparations. I have also seen the kinds of things described by others here- but mostly from when groups of giggling teens treat it as a toy.

My grandmother gave me my first board. She also taught me certain prayers and means of protection to be used. I have never had a problem with them at all. One of the main problems I have with the popular boards is less with the board and more with the planchette. Too many of them rely on fixed legs with felt tips. Nicer planchettes use a roller system. Some are basically a cylinder that has a board placed above it, and the reading is done by the tip of where the cylinder lands. Some of them have beautiful ball coasters on the feet that allow for free movement.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 am
Brass Bell Doll
Aakosir

I feel that is fair.
I have a mistrust of the popular attitude towards Spirit Boards.

I feel much of it was shaped by fiction. Older planchettes often were set on a roller across a single layer of letters. Most of what we see now was adapted by combining a roaming planchette with the layout used during "Spirit Glass" games- often an upturned Sherri glass was moved near letters.

I have seen quality Talking Boards work very well with those who enter into the experience with the proper preparations. I have also seen the kinds of things described by others here- but mostly from when groups of giggling teens treat it as a toy.

My grandmother gave me my first board. She also taught me certain prayers and means of protection to be used. I have never had a problem with them at all. One of the main problems I have with the popular boards is less with the board and more with the planchette. Too many of them rely on fixed legs with felt tips. Nicer planchettes use a roller system. Some are basically a cylinder that has a board placed above it, and the reading is done by the tip of where the cylinder lands. Some of them have beautiful ball coasters on the feet that allow for free movement.

That is so neat that your grandmother taught you. My mom smirks at my gemstone books. I really wish she would read them over and see that they are not supid, like she thinks.
My brothers fiance actually has a ouiji board and she said she used it once, something bad happened and she put it in the back of her closet. The protective prayers are a really neat thing. Is there any book you would recomend for help with divination? Or is it mostly passed down tradition for you?

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:02 am
Aakosir

My brothers fiance actually has a ouiji board and she said she used it once, something bad happened and she put it in the back of her closet.

Did she mention what happened exactly?

Aakosir
The protective prayers are a really neat thing. Is there any book you would recomend for help with divination? Or is it mostly passed down tradition for you?
I have learned some stuff from family, friends and other teachers, some from trial and error and some from books. For book recommendations, I have some favorites, but they are across so many systems that I'd want to make a personal recommendation based on who you are, how you learn and such.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

StellaLuna SkyWind

Devoted Wife

15,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:50 pm
you could just buy one.....  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:31 am
My mother had a ouija board. I used it once, but never again.

You don't know what kind of spirit you might get. I wouldn't trust those spirits, But what is your goal, in using a ouija board?  

pompoennetje

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:28 am
Lets just put it this way, ouija boards are NOT dangerous. An Ouija board is a simple piece of wood or cardboard used in talking to spirits, but what is dangerous is the spirit if it happens to be a hostile spirit. But just because you are afraid talking to it or something might make it hostile or whatever, just remember that unless you do something like this then you will never know if its hostile or not unless it starts acting hostile on its own. I think you should do it alone because like you said people will try and move it around to mess with you and unless it is just you then there is no way to be sure if there is really a spirit or not.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:32 pm
I personally don't like using one. After what my friends went though.. eh..

To make a long story short: you're basically inviting ANYTHING to talk to you. Good, neutral, or bad. So be careful to put a barrier up before you try communicating, please.

violentraine

IRL Bloodsucker

7,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Flatterer 200
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games