Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
How to deal with fangirls/boys Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:53 am
Hmm... I've never really had to worry much for fanboys. Fangirls, on the other hand... I've had one almost pull off a wig that was attached to my head by about twenty bobby-pins as I was walking behind a group of friends. My hair was put into two french braids to help keep my hair tight and close to my head. That hurt... crying
After that, I stayed closer to my friends.
It was like they were cosplay convention predators on a wildlife documentary that stalked the herd and took out the slower dealer's room stargazing cosplay stragglers.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:41 am
At AD2010 (my first con) i didnt have any fangirl/boy interactions but i'll be on the lookout if they do strike next year cool  

XxGin Ichimaru TaichouxX

PandaTeddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:38 am
Usually they just run up and squeal about how much they love my character (which I'm sure we're all guilty of, myself included) and then ask for a picture. I think the closest I've ever come to being glomped or anything like that was when another cosplayer (who is much taller than me) literally picked me up off the ground when he hugged me. I did not expect that. X3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:39 pm
My friend who went to a con said he carried his mobile around and when ever the fan girls and boys came his friend would call his phone biggrin and he would walk away talking into, Walking quite quickly befor hanging up and hiding behind the nearest group of cosplaysers biggrin  

Azureus Galthens

6,150 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Full closet 200

exdraghunt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:53 pm
Fortunately, I can usually hear the approach of a fangirl/boy before they glomp me and can prepare myself. I have almost been knocked over several times before, though.

I have been picked up and swung around by others (a weird experiance for me, I'm not a small person) and (annoyingly) there's a guy I know who likes to jump on my back when I'm suited up. I usually just drop him on his butt, though.

I usually find that an approaching person will back off if I shake my head and hold out my arms in a "no way" gesture, or if I go "Aaaahhhh, get off!" when they grab me.

I'm currently really glad that the majority of people who want to hug me are respectful and ask first.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:24 pm
Thank goodness I have never been glomped by a fangirl/boy. 3nodding
I've only had one bad experience. At Sakura Con 2010. A Winry ran up to me while I was dressed as Momo (from Bleach) and decided she would tell me everything she knew about the girl. O__o She was really nice, but it was still awkward for me.
I think having my very tall little brother with me kept most of them away. And next year I'll have a ninja protecting me. lol ^_^'

Bermese

Dedicated Fatcat

11,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wall Street 200

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:34 pm
Threaten to sue for harassment?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:33 pm
Currently, I have a giant "No glomping" pin that's coming with me to cons, but that's never enough.

I think the best way to be safe is to have a friend with you while you're walking around. Hopefully, they can catch the person if you don't.

This is what I have to do anymore, especially after Tekkoshocon last year. I had finally made my dream cosplay (Future Trunks complete with sword and sheath), and I kept getting angry with people because they didn't want to leave my sword alone or randomly glomped me, which caused my sheath (that I made!) to crack. Was none too pleased about it.  

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

Naughty Little Fox

Sweet Slayer

23,850 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:45 pm
I usually staff at the cons I go to. I've never really had any bad incidents with fanboys/girls. Lots of people will ask for pictures and I really don't mind that, because if I took the time and effort to dress up may as well get the appreciation for it by the people who want to take pictures of the costume.

I've never been successfully glomped, though I was attacked once by a glomp circle outside at sakuracon that targeted me when I walked past it not realizing what was going on, but I run very fast and was able to elude them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:35 pm
woo fan boyz  

Chibi Naomi

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 pm
Raid. Pepper spray.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:57 pm
I can't say I've had too many issues with fan boys/girls when I've cosplayed, I think I got a few hugs when I dressed as Chi (I got a hug and a kiss on the cheek from Nabeshin at Anime Detour in 2010). But I think that's as far as it's gone. I don't think we get too many people like that at Anime Detour o3o

A_Smile_2_Die_For

Darling

Petit MuffinDoll

6,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:13 am
I have a few fangirls, also outside of the cons. But to be honest, I do fear people when I cosplay... But lucky, I'm usually staff so people won't be suprise-hugging me or something. Being behind the desk, yeah, it's difficult to hug someone or should I say glomp someone... But I'm happy that most of the people have some manners, and they ask first can they hug.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff