Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Well. Guess I'm not going anytime soon! [Rant Tiem!]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Its Kamikio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:31 pm
I can rant now? Thanks.

Okay, so I was so excited because I was going to go to my first convention this September. (Kumoricon '10 for those who care.) I asked my mom and she said it was cool as long as I had a friend go with me.
So I think, who might want to go to a Con with me? Well my friend, (lets call her BB)! She likes anime, and my brother's too young, so that'll work!
So I send her a message on TinierMe, cause she was online, asking her if she cared to go. I expect her to say yes, after all it would be practically going to a giant party of nerds! What's not to like?

So I get a message back. And I wasn't expecting it. It read:

Quote:
I don't really think that's my thing. I'm not a big otaku, so, it would be weird.

I am overreacting, but I was pissed. For several reasons. First off, we haven't done anything together in months. She never wants to! She's more of an "Otaku" than I am, if you use the correct usage meaning basement dweller! She won't even go to the park with me and my other friend. I know. Maybe she really didn't want to go. But honestly! She never does anything, even though she's extremely self-centered. Evar. And we've been on... not great terms... Ever since school started in September, mostly because she ignores me and my other friends like we're freaks.
I'm mostly fed up with her behavior, and now I can't go to the Con because she's too lazy to go, my brother is too little (8 years old) and my other friends don't like anime!
I posted here because it's slightly related to Cons, and you people don't scare me as much as the Main Forum does. I asked my mom, but she said to leave it be. And it isn't just he Convention that has me pissed out of my mind. It's been like this for months, this just pushed me over the edge.

-fumes-

What should I do? Should I say something? She will probably be pissed, but I don't much care anymore. This isn't just about the Con, it's about our friendship as well.

TL;DR? How do I keep from smacking the Moron out of my (maybe) best friend?

EDIT: I just realized that people might say it's because she really doesn't want to. But I'm not sure that's it. Maybe, but she's very... reclusive. Like the only people she ever seems to hang out with is her parents. (And it was a pain in the butt to get her to go on rides at the fair. Case and point. And she's not terrified of them.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:45 pm
Sounds frusterating. I hate when friendships fall apart, it's the worst feeling ever.
I've gone through problems like this (minus loosing out on going to a Con), i suggest you find a time to talk to her one on one. it may require being a bit forceful but if you both talk about what is going on things may clear up between the both of you.  

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Its Kamikio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:03 pm
Thanks for caring. biggrin She also saw this, and PM'd me about it. I'll talk to her. If she wants to too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm
I say find people who do want to go to a con? I highly doubt you are the ONLY anime fans in your school, so stick your neck out there and see who you can meet.  

angel_259236102

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200

BLUEthefishDRAGON

6,700 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:16 am
So its funny you bring this up, because my friend was in the same situation with... me ^^;

Try to talk her into it but don't make it sound like a big anime thing because honestly.. most people go to have fun with their friends. She doesn't have to cosplay or anything. Just hang out! For awhile I didn't want to go to any conventions because 1, I have no vehicle, 2, my fiance doesn't have a vehicle, 3, no money.

When I do find a ride I usually am lucky enough to find someone to help feed me and my fiance and we have a ton of fun. We walk around and look at all the cosplays, if we get badges we hang out in the game room, or random panels.

Try letting her know those things. Or if you really are having problems just tell her how you feel. If after that she still doesn't want to go try to find someone else maybe? Then when you come back tell her how much fun you had and tell her what you did see if she might think differently about it?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:14 am

Cons are a weird thing. I have a lot of friends who are into anime but have never been to a con, or went to a con and didn't enjoy it as much as I did.

Honestly, it'd be better off if you went to the con on your own (or if you're required to go with someone, go with your school's anime club if you have one) and meet new friends there. Having a friend who is pretty much forced to go just makes the con feel horrible, and there's a high chance that one of you will wander off and end up spending the day with someone else. After all, the people you go with and the people around you greatly affect your con experience.

Of course, I'm not saying that you should ditch them and quit being friends completely. If she's reclusive, there's highly probably that there's a reason for it. I know from personal experience that it's hard to force someone out of that (and it's best that you don't), which would explain why she doesn't want to go to places, especially places where she could be seen in public, and in some cases, a negative light.

[sarcastic innocence]

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 pm
The situation suxs. But I suggest 2 just find some1 else 2 go with. Just incase. Or try 2 invite a few other friends it could be alot more fun if theres more ppl with u (but maybe a bigger chance of drama), remember conventions are not all about anime only, theres video games, and shopping and alot of hanging out. Well I am lucky enough that most of my friends go 2 cons or at least like anime. There will usually be drama at conventions or b4 conventions and sometimes after.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 pm
Ah ha! I'm a k-con veteran of a few years. I'd offer my services as a con buddy but not sure your mother would approve of a random nerd chilling with her daughter. XD

But all in all, this really sucks. Con's are when "Otaku's" love to get out of the basement. It's their only other sanctuary. Not sure what to say exactly to help but I hope she decides to go in the end. You do have time before k-con get's here. (and order soon! The badges are flying like hot cakes)  

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

Phoenix Form

Tipsy Friend

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:12 pm
If it's just about the con, (I mean, if that's as far as the conversation went about it), you could slowly ease her into it... I mean, a lot of people think cons are only for hardcore fans, but, I mean, my sister hasn't liked anime in years and went to a con two weeks ago just to see people and play some games. (and dress up like a skanky pikachu, but that's aside the point...) A lot of people are hardly fans at all, they just want to party and have fun.

The other thing is, cons are scary. I mean, if I'd never been to one, I'd be nervous about it. ^__^' I have a lot of friends who are really antisocial like that... even if it's just laziness, after a while, it can become a real phobia of social situations. And a con is huge, loud, crowded, full of weird fanboys and people touching, and if she spends all her time online, I can guarantee she's heard horror story after horror story of things that happen at cons... Since it's not till september, maybe you can find another friend to go with... and they if you two are still cool with each other by next year, you can tell her first hand what it was like, and in a way that you know will appeal to her. ^^

Kumoricon is in Portland, right? There's so much Japanese culture there, I bet there's an anime crowd to be found... and a chance to make some new friends! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:32 pm
I say, it's your first convention? Bring someone along who really wants to go. If she does not, bring someone else who really wants too. :]
But talk to your friend, you guys need to work this out.

amanogawatea

Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff