Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Soul Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chaos Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:51 pm
Not too sure if this has been discussed, sorry if this is a repeat topic...

A soul-

What is it, exactly? What proof is there that it exists? I mean, I know that on a scientific level, it could be expressed as energy, and cannot be broken down. So does that mean when we die, our soul (or energy) scatters onto the world (reincarnation?)? It's thought provoking since the soul can be described in so many contexts through so many traditions.

Example, my best friend who is Christian believes that "Animals do not have a soul". I wanted to know how that was (and whether or not anyone else of this faith or personally believes the same thing) and what made them not have a soul. If they don't then why are we the only ones that do? I asked her, she said "Because they're animals" . Though I feel like this answer doesn't set, or doesn't seem complete somehow.

I'm of the belief that we all have a soul, a spark of some sort, a conscious. Something that keeps us running, imagining and creating (collective conscious?).

Another thing I wonder, is if the spirit and soul are interchangeable definitions for the same thing. What are some of your takes on the soul/spirit/energy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:13 pm
As far as I know, a spirit/soul isn't something that can be proved. It's either something you believe in or don't. Personally, I believe that all living things are made up of energy and have some sort of soul/spirit. It's what makes them who they are. Without it they would be no different than a car, pen, phone, computer, etc. Also I beleive that since we are made of energy once we die we don't just "go into nothingness", I personally believe in reincarnation.  

ShadowCatSoul

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:19 pm
Chaos Blue
A soul-

What is it, exactly?

Differs from tradition to tradition.

Quote:
What proof is there that it exists?

Proof? UPG and CPG that forms a preponderance of evidence that is beyond a reasonable doubt.

Quote:

I mean, I know that on a scientific level, it could be expressed as energy,
Actually, it really couldn't.

There's no empirical method to measure the non-corporeal essence of an individual and said essence's ability to "do work".

Quote:

So does that mean when we die, our soul (or energy) scatters onto the world (reincarnation?)?
The term scattering would imply rebirth, not reincarnation.
Quote:

Example, my best friend who is Christian believes that "Animals do not have a soul". I wanted to know how that was (and whether or not anyone else of this faith or personally believes the same thing) and what made them not have a soul.
If that is their argument, then it is likely that their understanding of a soul is dependent on free will.

Quote:
Another thing I wonder, is if the spirit and soul are interchangeable definitions for the same thing.

They're often treated as synonyms within popular English, though there are traditions that make a distinction. I remember a thread on the matter that explored the Christian concepts a while ago.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:55 pm
Quote:

There's no empirical method to measure the non-corporeal essence of an individual and said essence's ability to "do work".

Ahhhh *nod*

Quote:
If that is their argument, then it is likely that their understanding of a soul is dependent on free will.

Would self-awareness also figure into that?

Quote:

They're often treated as synonyms within popular English, though there are traditions that make a distinction. I remember a thread on the matter that explored the Christian concepts a while ago.

Cool beans. Any chance of being able to retrieve the thread? I'm interested. If not, or if it was a while ago, then that's ok.  

Chaos Blue

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 pm
Chaos Blue
Quote:

Ahhhh *nod*

Quote:

Would self-awareness also figure into that?

Quote:

Cool beans. Any chance of being able to retrieve the thread? I'm interested. If not, or if it was a while ago, then that's ok.
I'll add it to the list of threads I am trying to dig up.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:23 pm
Thanks in advance.  

Chaos Blue

Sam Oaken Willow 17

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:26 pm
I think the concept of a soul is something that each person has to work out for oneself. My friend Jason doesn't believe that most people have souls. Spirits, maybe, but souls...

When he explained it to me to have a soul you had to be a really really good person, and most people don't deserve a soul.

And just saying I don't talk to Jason much anymore so I'm just using this as an example of a "soulful" idea. hehe  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:24 pm
Sam Oaken Willow 17
I think the concept of a soul is something that each person has to work out for oneself. My friend Jason doesn't believe that most people have souls. Spirits, maybe, but souls...

When he explained it to me to have a soul you had to be a really really good person, and most people don't deserve a soul.

And just saying I don't talk to Jason much anymore so I'm just using this as an example of a "soulful" idea. hehe

I've never heard of that kind of explanation of a soul before.  

ShadowCatSoul

Sam Oaken Willow 17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:54 am
Me neither until I heard it from him. I don't know how I feel about it but if he believes it's true, then who am I to say otherwise?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:51 pm
I wonder how he goes about differentiating souls and spirits.  

Chaos Blue

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:42 pm
To the one that I serve

I believe the soul to be a combination of various elements.

The Mind:Thought Patterns and Processes
The Body:Vehicle for Physical manifestation and experiences
The Spirit: Force of Life
Shade: A reflection of our personality kept in the underworld which exists so long as some one in the world remembers you.
The SuSoul: The heart and personality as well as our direct connection to the Gods. The suSoul may or may not be a part of the Gods.
I will give my all

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:07 pm
Loona Wynd
To the one that I serve

The SuSoul: The heart and personality as well as our direct connection to the Gods. The suSoul may or may not be a part of the Gods.
I will give my all

Are you suggesting that you don't know if the suSoul is a part of the gods or not, or are there instances where it is and when it isn't?  

Sam Oaken Willow 17

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:30 pm
Sam Oaken Willow 17
Loona Wynd
To the one that I serve

I will give my all

Are you suggesting that you don't know if the suSoul is a part of the gods or not, or are there instances where it is and when it isn't?

Sounds like Loona isn't sure.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:50 am
ShadowCatSoul
Sam Oaken Willow 17
Loona Wynd
To the one that I serve

I will give my all

Sounds like Loona isn't sure.
To the one that I serve

exactly.
I will give my all

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:30 am
Loona Wynd

Shade: A reflection of our personality kept in the underworld which exists so long as some one in the world remembers you.
Any particular reason you're lifting σκιά?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff