Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Convincing your parents to let you go to a Con Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ghosteroni

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:19 pm
My parents mainly had a deal with leaving me in a strangerous place. If you can, I really suggest taking some friends along with you :3 It made my parents slightly agree to it. If you want to cosplay, HIGHLY recommend a con that is in October/Halloween (any costme event)~
If you have a cell phone, then there's even less a chance they would say no. Remember that at most cons, they cost money... and you should always have money with you. If it does, suggest to pay for it yourself. If you have a while to go before one (these things REALLY require some time)....probably a couple months beforeand you should mention about it.

Here's how I myself did it:
3 months before, my friend invited me. My parents were totally against it. About a month or so later, I mentioned it again and offered to pay for it with the allowance I had saved since then, that they were on sale, I'd take my best friend, my cell phone would be on the whole time and there would probably only be people my age there (which there were, haha). I learned later that there were some very tight staff (look into that x3) who were used to us teenager-ing. They were still unconvinced, but, it made a lot of possibilities open. A couple days later, I talked to them both about it and how one of my friend's mother would be there (actually...her mom never came Dx). They softened a lot, and I re-mentioned all I had the last time I talked to them. The best things for parents are the truth...and mainly what they want/expect to hear. Don't spazz out :3 you have time.

And you should never, EVER mention/do:
Yaoi, Yuri, shounen/ shoujo-ai, sneak out...anything inappropriate lol. (Even though yaoi ftw)

If you have a sibling, then you are about 2 steps ahead if they agree to go with you.
I learned later that my friend's friend's sister/brother/friend (?) were there, which made my parents feel better.

If you don't own a cell phone, you can easily get a walkie-talkie (xD) or your bound to have at least one friend with one (or find something else)

Make sure the con is somewhere CLOSE to your house. Anything over an hour away is probably a NO.

If you know anyone who went (like... mr. imaginary friend) or it's local/famous, that'd probably hit them.

If your parents absolutely hate manga, anime, cons, whatever they call it: you can mention SO many things to get them to be o.k. with them (I know....my mom HATED all the money I'd spend a month on manga and how "useless" it was.
You can mention things like:
They're just books, they have just as many words as a regular book (but with pictures), they're educational, if you have a thing for art: you can mention how the styles are/if you want to try something new, if your parents hate comic books: don't mention how they're just like comic books..., you can say that it's just something you enjoy doing (just a hobby, looking at art, exploring possibilities), really...the possibilities are frigg'n endless!

Finally, if your parents still have objections...you always have next time to go! And if they have a certain age limit, don't argue... I garuntee that they'll lower the age limit if you stay nice and they see it's something you enjoy.

Benifit of guilt!

Good luck!
This page is mine bwahahaha xD  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:55 pm
For me I didn't know that I was supposed to go with friends until the day before, so I had to ask quickly. At first my dad was ok with it, but my mom took a lot more convincing. Eventually after much reassurance that I would have my phone on and be with friends the whole time (ironic, because I got ditched). It took several hours of basically begging with my dad, but eventually it worked (if you can get one parent/guardian than the other typically follows suit).  

HinataShadow17

Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces