Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Convincing your parents to let you go to a Con Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Little_Bearer_Of_Darkness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:46 pm
@ FoxTailAngel : Aha. so true. xD

And just try telling her the good points maybe? I never really have problems with my mother (since she watches anime and such herself. xDD) but, I've had to help convince others.

Point out that this is a better hobby than doing drugs and such. Plus with all the money you spend on cons you wont have any left over for that kind of stuff.

Also that people do put a lot of effort into their cosplays. People can work on one cosplay for months and months. Cosplay can sometimes be like an art form in some ways. xD
There sewing, and styling wigs, and armor building and such that are all things you have to learn and practice. So it's like character building/ learning new skills. :'DD

You can also learn things about Japanese culture and fashion. So it's like a cultural experience? > >

Hope any of this helped. :'3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:02 pm
Well to be honest I never really had trouble going. I just asked if i could go and they said if i planned it all out and i did. also try to convince them that you are more responsible. maybe that will help  

Griff_Illwind

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:16 pm
I had the same problem. My mom wouldn't let me go to cons for years. She thought they were tiny, dorky, stupid meetings. >.>

Then last year we were driving downtown and happened to drive past a local Con. My mom saw how huge it was, how many people were standing outside and was shocked. The next day our local newpaper featured pictures and a story on the Con, so she realized it was a big deal, and she's letting me go this year.
(I also said I'd pay for it. I guess that helped a lot...)

So maybe show your mom that it is a big deal to you! Tell how passionate you are about this and how a lot of people love anime/manga/etc.
Plus after you get to a certain age, parents start to hate paying for your s**t.
I don't know how old you are or what you're mom is like, but if you tell her that you'll pay for it, it will show her how badly you want to go!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 pm
Even though I am 19 my mom is opposed on me going 2 Cons. My dad allows me 2 if we have the money if they don't have money I always find a way 2 get cash and then I pay 4 it myself. Since my dad is not opposed 2 it my mother's decision usually follows my dads. I also help around the house a bit more than usual. I try not 2 bring up there is a whole lot of worse things that I can be doing thing, because I know my mom would probably say "how do I know that u r not doing that kinda of stuff over there?" IDk thats just how my mom is.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

MissMina2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:28 pm
Hmm... I didn't really even have to try... one year a friend asked if I wanted to go and told me what I'd have to pay and after my mom found out she wouldn't have to drive me or really do anything but pay a small bit she was fine with it and has been since. Normally now I just tell her when the con is, who I'm rooming with, what money I know I need and thats all. XD Than cosplays come up and it all goes crazy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 pm
My mom went to my first convention about 10 years ago. After that, she told me, "you go to these cons yourself. You don't need me. Just take pictures of the dudes in dresses and heels."

The other thing that helped was I was just graduating High school the following year, so she had a little more trust and faith of me doing stuff on my own. It stinks for the younger crowd.  

Rinkun

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100

BeyondBirthday01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:57 am
For the question at hand, have you ever tried asking you parents to come and see what all you are interested in. I myself had to beg for like a month to go to my first con. And my grandfather does not like anime or manga at all and insults me all the time. So, try not to let their answers get you down and see if this helps! I hope it does!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:10 pm
Thanks guys! I did some of the stuff you told me to and she said it was a money problem, so if I pay for it myself I get to go! Now for my next problem.......dose anyone know how to make quick money when your not of legal age to work? I cant babysit because we dont know anyone with babys........Thanks again! ^_^  

Euphoria Kisses

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:09 pm
Wash cars? It may be some work but cars are easier to find than small children.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:22 pm
I put my ex-girlscout (lol) mind to it and found out that if I make 6$ a day for the next year ill have anough so I figure Ill ask my grandfather (since hes the one handin out money) for 6$ to wash he dishes everyday (my granny has A LOT of dishes) but if that dosen't work I might try that its a good idea thats worth stashing away for later use. (if I figure out how to set it up...) Thank you for your help! :3  

Euphoria Kisses

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:56 pm
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

Also, try asking people if you can shovel their driveways/walkways (if you live in an area where it snows), but make sure you get to it early in the morning, before others can do it and the snow starts to melt, making things heavier.

You could try mowing lawns when it gets a little warmer, too.

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:34 pm
Car wash, Mowing lawns or selling some of the stuff u don't use or need. And save all the money that u get from allowances and stuff.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:25 pm
I didn't have much of a problem convincing my parents to let me go.

Problem now is the whole 'is our 18 year old who can beat/scare the hell out of most people going to be alright in a room full of people their age (minus a year or two) with a parent present' thing. We've all been in the same room overnight half a dozen times. What's going to happen, my squid tattoo is going to magically peel off my arm, come to life, and kill everyone in the middle of the night? I think not.

Oh crazy parents, I love you so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:36 pm
For the money thing...I don't know what type of neighborhood you live in but you could try baby sitting or DOG sitting which has to be better than hanging out with small children! Sometimes I watch a couple of german shepherds and this awesome little pug for some friends or family friends!

Fearmie

Tipsy Girl

Sweet Trixie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:42 pm
Heh, I had to bargain with my mom to let me go to Sakura Con. I live in Utah, and Sakura Con is in Washington. Mom says she'll (reluctantly) let me go to Anime Banzai since it's at least in the same state, but Sakura Con is different. I told her that I would pay for my plane ticket, hotel costs, registration, and whatever else needed paying for, so long as she paid her part too. This could be sort of difficult, since I don't have a lot in the way of income. ^^" I also told her I'd cut my hair... Which I am really regretting. I have long brown hair and for some reason my mom hates it, she's been begging me to get it cut for years (I'm a girl so long hair isn't really that weird), and so now one of the conditions for me to go to Sakura Con is cutting my hair ;~; But I love my hair... Aw well, it's gonna be worth it! Some of my best friends will be there, and High and Mighty Color is the guest band!!! >.<

If I were you I'd ask your mom what she would want you to do in order to go to this con, then sort of haggle it down so it isn't too much... Anyway, best of luck in convincing your parents. ^^  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff