Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What is Knowledge?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:29 pm
How do we collect it? Must it be observed? Can we know something without observing it? What is the nature of knowing something?

PS: This is based off of a thread where I was insulted for questioning empiricist views, so this is an attempt to salvage the discussion I wanted to have but couldn't due to the other person being a p***k.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:52 pm
Not to be overly obtuse in the answer, but....well...what ISN'T knowledge?  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:46 pm
Personally, without going into a massive diatribe on the nature of knowledge, logic, and the universe itself, I tend to stick fairly close to the Plato's formulation of knowledge in that knowledge is justified true belief.

But that's just me being my simplistic self. ninja

Edit: And dear gods, don't ask me to go into what counts as justification, I still have horrible memories of my philosophy classes, I'll be a good boy, just stop quoting Nitsche, please. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:10 am
Knowledge.

I think there's a thread that discusses the different kinds of knowledge somewhere. ninja  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:57 pm
Knowledge is many things.
To many people.
The concept of Knowledge can be expressed, however it loses it's conceptual nature and becomes subject to perspective interpretation.
Popular usage of the term knowledge implies a grasp of some fact.
However, this is not always the case. especially when common Knowledge is considered. That is more a matter of consensus.
Most definitions eventually loop back upon themselves by referencing the ideas of knowing and truth.

As I use the words, knowledge represents a working hemn model compiled from givens and observations that seems both possible and most probable.
Knowledge, on the other hand, is Gnosis. Pure conceptual Truth. This is very hard to come by, and falls apart as it is processed into the framework of a sensing non-omniscient's thought processes. As I comprehend so far, it is highly improbable for a non-omniscient to ever have Knowledge. the taint of limited comprehension lessens the Gnosis as it is grasped. thus, the Knowledge makes the transition to knowledge as it ceases to be conceptual and becomes a perceived.

As far as questioning empiricism... do so, constantly.
It is built on flawed underpinnings. Just as flawed as the senses used to gather the observables. It can work to create a "functional" or "operational" model, but never let it carry more weight than the elaborate appeal to popularity that it is.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games