Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Cosplay for the Curvy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xKelpiex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:45 pm
I'm HUGE. But, I still cosplay. And I love it.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:57 pm
I'm a curvy girl too. 5'4, big bust, big butt.

My bubble-head nurse cosplay worked well. I cosplayed as Hinata from Naruto, but the costume was sweltering so I didn't have any fun.

This year I'm going to make a lolita dress (since I have a baby face, despite being 22. : c). I can't seem to find any cosplay's I'm interested in doing this go-around.  

A Blue-Eyed Monster

Dapper Dabbler

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:05 pm
Yeah, I'm the opposite of most people here. I am a stick. ._. I actually wish I was curvier.
And for some reason, I choose to cosplay a character with huge boobs, when I'm hardly a B cup. D: /shot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:07 pm
XxXSinister WhispersXxX
Picture! Look at some others to get a more better body structure of me.
As you can see, I'm not normal sized. xD
I'm 5'5, about 130-142 pounds, because it changes every single day, and I think the only part about me I hate is my belly, and face. D8
My belly is big, I gain most weight there, and it's difficult to loose it.
(If anyone has any help on loosing belly, that would be great!) and my chin, because I have a small double chin when I get a front picture.
I like my legs, they're skinny for my size actually, skinny jeans don't fit my legs, they're too big. xc
I don't believe I'd ever crossplay though.

HAHA. And here I am considering cosplaying America for next year's Anime Central.
I'm going on super ultra mega diet and s**t though if I am.
The binding will be hard, I'm a D cup now! D:
It's amazing how not even a year passes, and I'm so different.

amanogawatea

Sugar Pucks

Indulgent Demigod

11,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:34 am
I know that the rule of thumb is when you're curvy you don't reveal a lot, but I do have to admit that I have seen some FABULOUS plus-sized cosplay's of Tsunade from Naruto.

(I've seen twice as many BAD ones, though. gonk )  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 am
For me being a "normal size" girl but still have a heavy waist and thighs and calfs, it's hard to have a skirt. Because I don't see it as appealing if my thighs shows up.
But because of my lack of good eyesight, build and also the taste troubles me to find a perfect cosplay.

As having a thin upper body but huge butt and legs makes me look awkward. Curse you typical Finnish body construction D
But anyway, I totally would like to see more curvier cosplays. Show me some god damn pictures 8D! I think if they works out, they are actually much prettier than the skinnier ones who don't have any flesh at all..  

0sako

Shapeshifter

Sugar Pucks

Indulgent Demigod

11,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:21 am
I'll post some of mine as soon as I can find my memory card. xp  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:28 am
I don't cosplay simply because I am so big and paying for or making a costume that uses that much material is expensive. Still, I've never much liked girls, or guys, that let it all hang out, regardless of size. I'm all for expressing your own individual style, but honestly, leaving a little for imagination isn't a bad thing...

I've established one cosplay I would do, even at my current size is one of the girls from the Miator campus on Strawberry panic. I love how 1800's they look. <3

nadaniasang

Forever_the_spy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:05 pm
I'm 5'11, curvy women that cant really use compression shirts because well it hurts to much (my boobs are Double d's). I constantly run into the problem of being to tall for female characters or being unable to pull of a cosplay due to I can't really hide my boob's for male characters.

For male characters, my way around this is well large long coats that are slightly to big for my frame. They hide the hips, and if the shirt underneat is slightly large it tucked in is pulled out can make the boob's less noticeable. But if I could bind, then I would.

For female characters, I do cosplay the wont have a lot of cosplayers from the same anime so the hight difference doesn't look as bad because there is no one from the series to compare hights too. Also there is the fact I have ah thunder thighs, longer skirts with stockings or tights help. My legs just are flabby to say the least and having something to not let it all out, helps my confidence in an outfit.

As for skimpy outfits, power to the people who wear them just don't put me in one.  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:56 am
I know when I did my first cosplay I did a crossplay so I wouldn't have to bind, but I find that it's just not as effective to crossplay as it is to go as the gender of the character. This year I have to bind both days, but I'm going to make sure I bring a bra. Both of the cosplays are rather big on me so it's not as big of a deal, but you can still see them and as a perfectionist I must bind xP My friends never believe me when I say I'm only a B cup, and it's hard to bind them. By the time I bind it I can barely breath >< I need to find something made specifically for binding.

I think that anyone can cosplay what they want, but depending on how you're proportioned depends on what you'd cosplay. I don't want to be mean, but some people can't cosplay the skimpy costumes. However, just because one person can't doesn't mean someone else of the same weight can. It all depends on height and proportions. For some people all their weight is in one place, and for some it's all over. So it just depends on your body shape.  

tokkitoria

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:21 am
Um... Something really bothers me about this thread - the topic is fine, but the majority of the posts have a trend that really brings me down.

- Why do you discuss how to hide your body instead of show it off?

- Why talk about what looks bad on a round figure instead of what looks good?

- What's this "normal" size? If most of us are Americans, then an overweight body IS the normal size here. Normal means common, not thin.

There's already another thread about losing weight. Can't this be a thread celebrating, rather than shaming plus-sized bodies? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:43 pm
To be completely honest, most of us can't help it. Women in general are pre-programmed to feel that any flaw, obvious or not, is being focused on and must be hidden. It's especially hard for us bodacious babes because we really ARE being focused on for what the world calls a flaw.

My mother struggled with her weight for most of her life, driven by cruel remarks and awful diets from her own family and everyone else in the world, and even though she hated being treated badly for something that shouldn't be a big deal, she couldn't help but rant about it to me. All I ever heard from her was how fat and ugly she looked, how no one wanted to see her cottage cheese legs in a bathing suit and how a dress just wouldn't hide her belly. If you grow up hearing that, as most of us have, you can't help but think the same thing when you look in the mirror and see a bigger bust, or a some belly, or hips that could kill. Every single curvy girl I know thinks she ugly, that she has to cover up what she has or she'll be breaking some sacred code. It's stupid, it's illogical, it's unnecessary, but it's how we think.

It's a struggle everyday to find the courage to put on something that shows off my arms. Putting on a bathing suit makes me feel like a huge spotlight is being shined on every detail of myself, and I hate it. Even though most of us know we are good people, even though we know our faces aren't hard on the eyes, our minds tell us that the whole world will only see our shell, and it's not right. Of course I would love to be confident enough to wear a dress that shows my arms and legs, especially since I am a stalwart believer that the bigger they are, the harder they rock, but the internal battle is just too much to fight sometimes.

I applaud any lady with the courage to walk with pride in herself, no matter what the world says, but I for one still have a ways to go, mentally. Until I train myself out of these bad habits, of course I will discuss ways to make myself feel more comfortable, even if it is destructive.

I do agree with you though. The pride is seriously lacking in this thread, so let me be the first to say that as big as I am, and many others might be, nothing makes me feel more proud of who I am than when a big girl cosplays. It's like the physical embodiment of the bird being flipped to the world and it's stereotypes, and it makes me want to run and buy whatever costume I can get over my hips, and join them. <3

nadaniasang

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:51 pm
I definitely agree with nadaniasang. I'm comfortable with my weight right now, and I cosplay like I am, even though my thighs are a bit big, as well as my breasts.

And by the way, who's to say that just because you're big you won't look good in something made typically for thin women/men? If you alter it to accommodate you personally it should look fine. Ignore what other people say. If cosplayers are saying these kinds of things about especially, they're not the kind you want to hang out with anyways. They're either elitists or just really rude. If its your family or friends, tell 'em to knock it off. Or start pointing out their flaws, like being judgy for instance.  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:05 pm
In april i went to a local con (nobrandcon) and decided that despite the fact that i have monstrous (triple d) boobs, and a baigger figure in general, i was going to crossplay what i wanted, figure be damned!!! i crossed as renji from bleach, and i got soo many comments of the positive kind. I even had a renji fangirl scream the fangirl scream (which induced much loling)

i say crossplay what you want, when you want, despite your figure. if you're recognizable as said character, and you do a decent job, people will still compliment your cosplaying!  

Inwe Fare

Herr Skit

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:36 am
XxXSinister WhispersXxX
XxXSinister WhispersXxX
Picture! Look at some others to get a more better body structure of me.
As you can see, I'm not normal sized. xD
I'm 5'5, about 130-142 pounds, because it changes every single day, and I think the only part about me I hate is my belly, and face. D8
My belly is big, I gain most weight there, and it's difficult to loose it.
(If anyone has any help on loosing belly, that would be great!) and my chin, because I have a small double chin when I get a front picture.
I like my legs, they're skinny for my size actually, skinny jeans don't fit my legs, they're too big. xc
I don't believe I'd ever crossplay though.

HAHA. And here I am considering cosplaying America for next year's Anime Central.
I'm going on super ultra mega diet and s**t though if I am.
The binding will be hard, I'm a D cup now! D:
It's amazing how not even a year passes, and I'm so different.

Oddly enough, I think Hetalia / America is one of the FEW cosplays where you can get away with having some extra pudge. Mostly because it's a satire, and because it fits more with the stereotype / character's actions.

-will be Regular!America and Baby!America for Connecticon-  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces