Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Cosplay for the Curvy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:07 pm
Hmmm...
I'm about 41-33-38
145 lbs or so
5'3"
I kind of have a baby face, and it doesn't help when I wanna crossplay D:  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:52 pm
Green Tea, your siggy is adorable.  

FoxTailAngel

Shameless Businesswoman

5,000 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Hive Mind 200

wnw

Bro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:27 pm
Ohayocon 2010 will be my first time cosplaying. >w> I'm mega ultra fat. D: 150-160lbs 44-33-38. e.e I'm going to be Misa, though. Its pretty simple, but it'll work for a first timer. ;D  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:21 pm
Immortal Addiction
Ohayocon 2010 will be my first time cosplaying. >w> I'm mega ultra fat. D: 150-160lbs 44-33-38. e.e I'm going to be Misa, though. Its pretty simple, but it'll work for a first timer. ;D

Could you post a pic once you've finished putting your Misa cosplay together? I absolutely love Misa cosplayers! I sure the hell don't have the guts to wear even half the outifts she does xD

Oh, and we're about the same size! My weight fluctuates between 145 and 160.... I'm not fat D: So.... that makes you not fat!

Okay, well I'm a little bigger than some, but not fat. How tall are you though? I'm 5'4".  

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Kyokunichi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Hi, I'm Kyo. I'm 17(till october), 5'3, and weigh 148-154. I definitley have curves, but I'm able to hide it most of the time. I dont think I'm fat but I could definitley lose weight. And I have advice for others who are pretty big from my past experiences and seeing other people at cons.

1) DO NOT WEAR TIGHT CLOTHES! Not to be mean or anything but it is not cute at all, you can still wear the cosplay or whatever outfit you have but do not let it squezze you.

2) If you have rolls, Do NOT wear a short tube top and a very mini skirt, that is not appealing either.

3) For girls with butts that have a lift problem wearing skirts and dresses, all you need to do is lengthen the skirt or wear a longer one, though if you want to wear a mini put some shorts under them or something.

4) If you have a belly and dont want to show it get a girdle, that will help.

I applogize if I repeated someone else(didnt read other posts).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:41 pm
As long as you like to cosplay and it makes you happy no ones thoughts really matter. well that is the way i see it  

Griff_Illwind

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:42 pm
I'm not overweight, but I'm most definetly curvy (35.5" 28" 36") and it makes crossplay and sometimes even normal cosplay a real pain in the a** =-= I can never get things to fit correctly when I make them. Store bought things fit me even less often which I hate because I can never buy the styles I like =-= That or they look horrible on me because nowadays everything's made for people with less shape than a brick wall. No offense to them or anything, but us curvy guirls need cute clothes too you know.

Which is actually why I'm striving to become a fashion designer >3 So there'll actually be clothes that fit and look damned good doing so! Fufufu~ But I guess that info's irrelivent xD;  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:14 pm
I think I'm about average on the height/weight spectrum - the only problem is the weight distribution, I'm skinny down to my belly, and down from my knees, but between that my rear and my thighs have more definition. D:
I've always had a problem with skirts, and I refuse to wear one that comes above my knees without pants underneath, or at least leggings. I need to alter the back of a skirt for a cosplay I'm doing this year because of that, but I'm not quite sure how. Any other way to fix that problem? :/  

chobits_chii123

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:59 pm
chobits_chii123
I think I'm about average on the height/weight spectrum - the only problem is the weight distribution, I'm skinny down to my belly, and down from my knees, but between that my rear and my thighs have more definition. D:
I've always had a problem with skirts, and I refuse to wear one that comes above my knees without pants underneath, or at least leggings. I need to alter the back of a skirt for a cosplay I'm doing this year because of that, but I'm not quite sure how. Any other way to fix that problem? :/

What cosplay is it that you're doing? i could try to think of a way .u.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu
What cosplay is it that you're doing? i could try to think of a way .u.

Haha, Hazuki from Tsukuyomi Moon Phase! The most adorable vampie next to Karin. 8D
I'm trying to recreate this skirt here, because I haven't the patience to make a white dress that I'm positive will get ruined anyway with my klutzy tendencies...
Anyway, I was just gonna add more white lace/frills in the back, a couple of layers so it'll seem even all around. But I dunno if that'd work. ._.;  

chobits_chii123

Sephiroths samurai girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:54 am
@Chobits
If it's a problem of the skirt lifting up too much at the back then it's fairly easy to alter when making it. If you make the bottom layer first to fall evenly all around (that back will end up longer than the front) then you can copy the pattern and make it a little shorter each time to create the layers. Adding extra layers just to the back will look a bit odd and will likely make your bum look bigger too. ><
If it's a problem of just not wanting to show of your thighs then just make the skirt longer to reach your knees. ^^

I am most definitely curvy. X3 43-33-43, it makes buying blouses and one piece dresses near impossible on the high street. Finding a bodyform that was remotely accurate was actually quite difficult too and the underbust is still far too large (underbust is 34) compared to my bust so it means I have to fit that while wearing it, but it works well for everything else.

Honestly, wearing fitted things can actually look really good on some body shapes no matter what their weight might be. Yes don't make it overly tight but that's a given for any size as it's just going to look like you can't make it properly. If you're an hourglass, then making something that isn't fitted will likely make you look much bigger than you actually are as it'll hang from the largest part of you and completely hide the waist.

I generally don't find my weight to be an issue, I can't do some characters because of my boobs (Sakura from Card Captor Sakura wouldn't really look right with boobs XD) but there's always lots of others for me to pick from!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:58 pm
Ah, that's a much better idea than what I had. Time to recreate the pattern! Lol.
I like your can-do attitude, Sephiroth! ^-^  

chobits_chii123

Eden_Moonchild

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:34 pm
I like this thread
i am new to the guild.
But i am a curvy congoer. I went to my first last year. I am about 5'10 and well yeah def have boobs and a butt. and like a few people that pooch that is just there but luckily working out helps in getting it smaller. I wont ever be thinner cause my curves are her to stay
But i do think that the curvy con-goers can cosplay and cosplay very well.
And if your fave character is a size 2..like a large amount of characters modifying a bit of the costume helps.Like a friend of mine is helping me with a non anime cosplay of Akasha from Queen of the Damned and theres bare belly there. but incase i don't lose all the weight i want. she's helping make a intricate belt that covers pooch and a mesh like babydoll type thing to go veils my tummy.

Theres ways for the curvy to cosplay and all it needs is alot of confidence and a good seamstress skills.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:54 pm
chobits_chii123
Ah, that's a much better idea than what I had. Time to recreate the pattern! Lol.
I like your can-do attitude, Sephiroth! ^-^

Glad I could help. ^^ I had the same problem a while ago, it's an easy mistake to make as it's so easily forgotten.

I think it's probably because we don't have as much of a problem with elitism (in terms of body image) as the US, so even if you're not as thin as others, if you've got the skills, you can still be recognised as a good cosplayer.
It's really shocking when I read about people who have been harassed in person at a con because their costume wasn't very good or they're overweight. I think if something like that happened here they would be lynched by the rest of the con goers! XD

@Kylie
Omg I would love to see your Akasha when you're done! It's such a beautiful design, I've never seen it done before!  

Sephiroths samurai girl

chobits_chii123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:53 pm
Sephiroths samurai girl
Glad I could help. ^^ I had the same problem a while ago, it's an easy mistake to make as it's so easily forgotten.

I think it's probably because we don't have as much of a problem with elitism (in terms of body image) as the US, so even if you're not as thin as others, if you've got the skills, you can still be recognised as a good cosplayer.
It's really shocking when I read about people who have been harassed in person at a con because their costume wasn't very good or they're overweight. I think if something like that happened here they would be lynched by the rest of the con goers! XD

Ah, seeing as I am in the US, I live in the opposite side of the spectrum. I don't get the lot of it though - cosplay shouldn't be about your figure, it should be about appreciating the character you cosplay.
If there was a "curvy" cosplayer portraying an epic costume design, and someone on the other end with a slim build that threw on an anime t-shirt and called it cosplay, the epic cosplayer gets more points in my opinion!  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff