Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
How many pagans actually practice "magick" Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:06 pm
Just wondering... as being pagan doesn't equate that you actually practice anything. Soo if I could get a show of hands I would appreciate it.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:16 pm
i'm not a follower of aleister crowley, therefore, i do not practice 'magick'; however, i am a witch so i do practice magic.  

whiporwill-o

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:34 pm
Depends on what you mean by "magic".  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:53 pm
Yes... ish.
I can't stand Crowley.
I also have a horrible knee jerk against practice of such... as I detail thru nearly half that thread.  

Fiddlers Green

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:53 am
whiporwill-o
i'm not a follower of aleister crowley, therefore, i do not practice 'magick'; however, i am a witch so i do practice magic.

lol The only way I even Found this guild was because I put the word "magick" into the search engine. I tried every other phrase I could think of and every single guild that even might concern metaphysics had that word as a buzz word. I should have tried psychic... but I didn't think about that. Its almost interesting the buzz words that are used
The accuracy of the phrase "magick" can be debated later

I usually just call it practice because it seems like a universal intrinsic part of existence and to me I am just using my will instead of letting it lay dormant. Thus I am practicing being me rather then being a doormat soo to speak.

Shall I change the name to see if I get answers to the No K version?

And now I have an msi song stuck in my head repeating the words
"Its what i mean not what I say"  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:21 am
Fiddlers Green
Yes... ish.
I can't stand Crowley.
I also have a horrible knee jerk against practice of such... as I detail thru nearly half that thread.

Interesting... I tend to just reaffirm whatever connections that would be used in order to side step the problems of overload. I also tend to make my spells pretty... well they only give off energy in the way I want them to. I'm pretty structured in my approach. I also draw mostly on already existing channels and rely on outside energy rarely. This could be considered disrupting vis depending on how much energy I'm allocating to my own ends. Thus for bigger works I would probably draw on outside energy and have the spell pretty self contained. I tend to do make my work pretty hedged in as I don't like attracting undue attention from spirits who have no clue what I'm doing so that they don't freak out.

It can be useful to degrade the specific area that you are working in as long as it is your personal site. Then again the things I do within my personal space are generally things I wouldn't do if it wasn't properly contained.

It really depends on what I am trying to do. I generally work within the laws of the cosmic underpinings as you called them though again it depends on what I am trying to do. I had a tendency to alter things that I touched without realizing that I was doing it before I started to study in earnest so I'm pissing off less spirits now though I don't always follow... conventional methods? I also still have the whole I start thinking about how to effectively do something and I get soo embroiled in the issue that I start doing it without thinking about the consequences. I don't rely on rituals which is probably part of the problem. I should think about that a little. They've always seemed pretty unnecessary.

In anycase what I gathered is that you like to practice conscientious well informed well structured spells? Rather then slap dash watch the world crash?

Would you still consider other implementations of will practice? They are still muddying the waters soo to speak... but then I consider all movement a form of practice so I have a few issues with the definition of what you should consider maic and what you shouldn't.

I was more looking for a personal opinion census of who actively pursued practice vs. those who considered themselves pagan in a purely religious sort of way.  

Ishtar Shakti

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:28 am
CuAnnan
Depends on what you mean by "magic".

I'm asking for a personal opinion census based on what you believe not based off what I believe.

I believe that magic is any practice of will... this belief generally dictates that everyone practices whether they believe they do or not as they are utilizing will. Unless of course the person lacks freewill and thus is an automaton and thus isn't a person because they aren't alive. Its how I would differentiate a well made servitor from a person.

Of course people don't usually share this definition so I don't go by my definition when talking to others. I go by there's. Mine has been heralded as being too broad.

I'm just curious as to how many people in here are here for religious reasons only and how many aren't.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:41 am
I generally don't practice magic. When I do, it's rare and I tend to make sure I'm not running afoul of hubris.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:53 am
Ishtar Shakti

I believe that magic is any practice of will... this belief generally dictates that everyone practices whether they believe they do or not as they are utilizing will. Unless of course the person lacks freewill and thus is an automaton and thus isn't a person because they aren't alive. Its how I would differentiate a well made servitor from a person.

But what about servitors that are created and are given autonomy and free-will? ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:33 am
I dipped my toes into magick when I was younger. Still hang out with my OTO friends.
That said, I'm not pagan. ~shrugs~

As for magic, I do so rarely and only when appropriate for someone in my position to do so.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:24 am
I don't.
If I want something, besides actively working for it, i'd petition the gods. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:19 am
Channeling may or may not qualify as magic (not magick or the less known maedjeck) but that is the primary thing I use.

Usually with Essences but occasionally with Aspects.  

Recursive Paradox

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 am
patch99329
I don't.
If I want something, besides actively working for it, i'd petition the gods. smile

Same for me. Except I also avoid magic as I'm afraid to ******** it up. I try not to work with ideas I'm not completely wise to.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:16 am
lol this is like a trick question for me xD.

My beliefs are loosely Pagan based but I'm not sure if I'd consider myself Pagan. I'm a shaman, and being so really dips in to Pagan and Native American beliefs. As far as magic goes, yes I do rituals and different forms of meditations that I use for similar things as Wiccans use magick for (i.e. blessing, warding away curses, etc..) but at the same time most of my spiritual work is aimed towards the spiritual world. Communicating with and guiding lost spirits, spirit quests with my animal guides, and so forth.

So I'm not sure, would you call that magick too?  

pashSANITY

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:10 pm
It's not something that I do all that often, but I don't have a problem doing spellwork when I feel it's needed.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff