Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
My first written spell -- comments and/or advice please?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SADERR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:50 am
Hello everyone! After two years of studying Wicca and refraining on doing any sort of work other then meditation and pathworking, for fear I did not know enough, I finally gave in to my want to try doing a spell, because I've always wanted to save my first ritual or spell for when I felt ready and prepared, and also when it would do me good.
So, I have seen very few examples of a spell, so in writing my own, it was sort of improvision. I simply refuse to look up even examples on the internet, because I strongly do not trust internet spells.
I'm just curious if I've made any errors, what some people in this great community think about it. Thus I can fix anything if needed before I preform it, as chances are this won't be for a week or two. I can find mostly everything rather easy, but I am not very learned in gardening, and I have no clue how I will be sure when I find what I think is birch.
Everything else I can find almost anywhere (We have no pagan shop -- or any that are public-- in my city, though it is a rather large city. I'm surprised, actually.

Quote:
MATERIALS:
-1 white candle
-1 blue candle
-One small celestite stone
-Small bit of birch bark
-Pencil
-Bowl of water

I. Preparation
-Ground, using either taproot technique, or hemetatite. (or both)
-Cast a circle, cleanse it, and call not the four quarters, but only west.

II. Stones and Candles
-Light the white candle;
"I light this candle for the Goddess.
May she bring me to peace from my past
May she bring me purity of woe in my future
And may she bring me to a stronger self"

-Light the blue candle;
"I light this candle for the strength of Water
May it deliver me from my past, and give me protection in my future.
May the element of water wash away from me my anger and woe from the past.
May it calm me, and give me wisdom in choosing my future."

-Set down the celestite stone;
"May this stone comfort my stress in letting go of the past.
May this stone make me aware in opening to my future.
May it bring only the truthful to my closest companionship.
May it let me speak clear my intentions for my future.
Nothing shall hold me back"

III.Burning of the Past
-Using a pencil and the birch bark, write down everything
you wish to let go of. Check it over to make sure it is correct.
-(Carefully) burn the birch bark over either the white or blue candle,
letting the ashes fall into the bowl of water.
"I banish that which has held me back!
Not from existence, or mind, but from the soul.
I banish that which has hurt me!
I banish the ties which may bring me back!
Not from existance or mind, but from connecting to me again.
I banish not my past, but what grudges and woe I have collected from it.
So mote it be."

IV.Conclusion
-Give thanks to the goddess before blowing out the white candle
-Give thanks to the element of water, and to the west before blowing out the blue candle
-Take down the circle.
-Take the bowl of water and ashes to a natural water spot, and pour out the bowl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:39 pm
Jonathonn
Hello everyone! After two years of studying Wicca and refraining on doing any sort of work other then meditation and pathworking, for fear I did not know enough, I finally gave in to my want to try doing a spell, because I've always wanted to save my first ritual or spell for when I felt ready and prepared, and also when it would do me good.
So, I have seen very few examples of a spell, so in writing my own, it was sort of improvision. I simply refuse to look up even examples on the internet, because I strongly do not trust internet spells.
I'm just curious if I've made any errors, what some people in this great community think about it. Thus I can fix anything if needed before I preform it, as chances are this won't be for a week or two. I can find mostly everything rather easy, but I am not very learned in gardening, and I have no clue how I will be sure when I find what I think is birch.
Everything else I can find almost anywhere (We have no pagan shop -- or any that are public-- in my city, though it is a rather large city. I'm surprised, actually.

Quote:
MATERIALS:
-1 white candle
-1 blue candle
-One small celestite stone
-Small bit of birch bark
-Pencil
-Bowl of water

I. Preparation
-Ground, using either taproot technique, or hemetatite. (or both)
-Cast a circle, cleanse it, and call not the four quarters, but only west.

II. Stones and Candles
-Light the white candle;
"I light this candle for the Goddess.
May she bring me to peace from my past
May she bring me purity of woe in my future
And may she bring me to a stronger self"

-Light the blue candle;
"I light this candle for the strength of Water
May it deliver me from my past, and give me protection in my future.
May the element of water wash away from me my anger and woe from the past.
May it calm me, and give me wisdom in choosing my future."

-Set down the celestite stone;
"May this stone comfort my stress in letting go of the past.
May this stone make me aware in opening to my future.
May it bring only the truthful to my closest companionship.
May it let me speak clear my intentions for my future.
Nothing shall hold me back"

III.Burning of the Past
-Using a pencil and the birch bark, write down everything
you wish to let go of. Check it over to make sure it is correct.
-(Carefully) burn the birch bark over either the white or blue candle,
letting the ashes fall into the bowl of water.
"I banish that which has held me back!
I banish that which has hurt me!
I banish the ties which may bring me back!
Not from existance or mind, but from connecting to me again.
I banish not my past, but what grudges and woe I have collected from it.
So mote it be."

IV.Conclusion
-Give thanks to the goddess before blowing out the white candle
-Give thanks to the element of water, and to the west before blowing out the blue candle
-Take down the circle.
-Take the bowl of water and ashes to a natural water spot, and pour out the bowl

I like this. It's well-thought out, and you've done your homework.

Celestite fades with exposure to light, so try to keep it out of direct sun.

Consider also, that you may cast the circle without invoking any quarters and have it perform a purely protective-barrier sort of role. If you approach Water as a quarter in the circle, but as the only quarter called, it may leave your circle unbalanced.

You may wish to cast the circle without quarters, and then perform the Water invocation as a separate element in your spell ritual.
Or, alternately, you could cast the circle with purely Water energy to begin with - literally a Water circle.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:08 am
Looks pretty good to me! Well done. Not my sort of spell at all but it seems to be a very good example of that particular sort of spell.

Memorise it before you cast it wink Nothing quite screws up one's focus for a spell like stopping in mid-sentence, unable to remember what comes next.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:48 am
Sort of to echo what Morg said about calling the quarters, usually they are called as protectors of the circle, so calling on just the one as you are casting (to me anyways) seems to leave the other quarters "open".

Over all it looks like a well written spell, my only caution in it, is to be really sure exactly what it is you are asking for. Our past experiences (good or bad) are what shapes us, and (depending on your beliefs) this kind of spell (especially since it involves banishing things from the soul) could have lasting effects across multiple lives (past and future). In essence I feel like you are asking your soul to forget lessons it has learned (no matter how painful they might have been), and I'm not sure that is a good thing.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Starlock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:00 pm
The others have said most of what needs to be said; overall it's well-written and should serve you well!

The only additional suggestion I have is that some people like to write their verbal components with either rhyme or rhythm. Both of these elements will make it easier to memorize it beforehand and it helps create a more magical atmosphere since the wording is distinct from ordinary speech. There are other ways to make your speech distinct other than in the structure of the words themselves, though, so I really think it's fine just how it is!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 pm
Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep in mind about the unbalanced circle, Morgandria, I'll look into that, and I'll probably change it.
And yeah, Sanguina, I'll memorise it. As a student of the dramatic arts, I'm okay at memorizing lines, so I'll just treat it as I do a play script.
Too2sweet, thanks for the advice. I don't want to get rid of my experiences at all, as you said, they shape us. I am content with my memories.I just am looking to not have them..effect me in day to day life. Like, for example, how you get your heart broken and it haunts you daily, I want that to dim.  

SADERR

*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff