Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pagan name? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

x - Johnny HazardXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:03 pm
Do you use one and what is it and it's meaning?

I've had 3 over the years. First was Emrys then Caleb but those were at different phases of my life. First was in high school second early 20's. My current Pagan name is Thaliesin. It just came to me and I didn't even know of the mythology behind it. I only added the H because numerically it changes the name to number 9. I was born on the 9th my numeroligical number is 9 and my first and last name is 9 and all things happen in 3's and 3 x 3 = 9 so it is my number biggrin

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 pm
My pagan name is no different than my birth name. I've never seen any reason to use another name. It's a common Biblical name - I used to hate it when I was little, but I guess it's grown on me. biggrin

What do you mean by "all things happen in threes?" Why?  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:03 pm
Names are funny things culturally speaking. There is a name issued by a parent at the birth of the child that is never uttered again. There is also a collection of names used within the family and the different Nations, to say nothing of the numerous names that are used outside of Rroma culture.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:08 pm
legal name, nickname, family name...no pagan name.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Nattfodd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:17 pm
Collowrath
What do you mean by "all things happen in threes?" Why?

Wondering this as well.

But, I don't have a 'pagan name,' or a magical name or any sort. I've been meaning to delve into the whole numerology of my name thing, but I keep leaving my books in my car.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:14 am
Sure, I have one.
Took it when I was planning initiation into Wicca the last time.

Also have a Shadow Name. Don't much share that one.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:01 am
TeaDidikai
Names are funny things culturally speaking. There is a name issued by a parent at the birth of the child that is never uttered again. There is also a collection of names used within the family and the different Nations, to say nothing of the numerous names that are used outside of Rroma culture.

If it's only spoken once, then how do you remember it to never speak it again? Also, what happens if you come across a person with the name you're never supposed to speak again, what do you call them?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:41 am
AniMajor
If it's only spoken once, then how do you remember it to never speak it again?

I remember the one I gave my nephew.

AniMajor
Also, what happens if you come across a person with the name you're never supposed to speak again, what do you call them?

I call my nephew by his christian name.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am
TeaDidikai
There is a name issued by a parent at the birth of the child that is never uttered again.

I'm fascinated by traditions like this. They seem to pop up in all kinds of different places and cultures, but it's still completely alien to me. Do you mind explaining some of the traditions surrounding these names, such as why they're given, and what kind of purpose they might serve later or after life?

If this is too forward, I humbly apologize to you a thousand times for my transgression.

Also, Cu, if you would comment on its function in your culture, I would appreciate it. Again, if it's any kind of infraction, I apologize for it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:50 am
In my family, we have a Given name, an Honour name, and a Family name.
The Honour name is usually placed after the Given but before the Family, it is supposed to evoke a great hero of times past, to encourage these traits in the youth.
We also make use of Taken names, a person who has proved themselves an adult in the eyes of the family may Name themselves to indicate their status as an adult. Ever after, only the direct line of their parents are to address them with their Given name, even then, it is considered reproachful. Of note, a Taken name is not valid until the family Patriarch and Matriarch have both addressed one by it.  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:01 pm
AniMajor

If it's only spoken once, then how do you remember it to never speak it again?
Push come to shove, I'm not sure I would remember it. But the question is, why would we care if we could or couldn't?

Quote:
Also, what happens if you come across a person with the name you're never supposed to speak again, what do you call them?
Use the other names. Allow me to put it this way.

When I was born, my Baba whisper something into my ear. I don't remember what it was. My Baba also named me for the "Patron Saint" of the Domari and the "Queen of the Faeries" for a legal name. This is the name non-Rroma know me by.

My family has other names for me as well. Because of certain choices my family has made, we're less likely to have as many non-Rroma names as other families do. Fewer aliases as it were.

That said, I had a couple very traditional "Rroma" names growing up at different phases in my life, most of which have fallen out of use.

Collowrath

I'm fascinated by traditions like this. They seem to pop up in all kinds of different places and cultures, but it's still completely alien to me. Do you mind explaining some of the traditions surrounding these names, such as why they're given, and what kind of purpose they might serve later or after life?
It's a form of protection really. Not really in the mood to say much more than that.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:14 am
I have a name that was "whispered in my ear" as it were when I was a teenager. Also the name of a sword. I don't tend to tell people what it is.

Don't really consider it magical, per se, though.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:38 am
Deoridhe
I have a name that was "whispered in my ear" as it were when I was a teenager. Also the name of a sword. I don't tend to tell people what it is.

Don't really consider it magical, per se, though.
If not magical, would it still be considered spiritual?

I guess I should qualify that I wouldn't say my names are magical, but spiritual in nature.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:25 am
TeaDidikai
It's a form of protection really. Not really in the mood to say much more than that.

That's fair. Thank you!  

Collowrath

Kashaku-Tatsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:08 am
I have a name that my guides refer to me as, I don't give it out cause it's not human given... though another practitioner uttered it when we first talked which was an odd experience.

Tho I have my artist name, rave name, literary name (which I have used in the past for rp, yes I used to be that geek who played VtM lol)... so much for people to choose from it's not necessary for them to use a religious name or my given name for that matter lol.

(daddy issues kept me from loving my given name)  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff