Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IkaruTiger

550 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:42 pm
Hey all, I am a voice student in college. What kind of vocal experimentation and styles have you all tried, and what did you like?

I have made all kinds of strange sounds and played around to find out where I can place my voice, and even pushed my limits dynamically and range wise. Stylistically, I have done jazz, broadway, rock, classical, country, vaudville, ect. I think my favorite currently is going to have to be musical theatre. It is different from classical in that you do not use full operetic voice, but you utilize a common technique with all sorts of experimentation involved.  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 am
I focus mainly on classical/operatic singing, and I do a good bit of musical theatre, but I have tried jazz, pop/rock, and overtone/throat singing. I'd like to experiment more with Eastern methods of singing, studying the style and modes they use. I think it's important to understand all aspects of what the voice can do.

Overtone/Throat Singing

Throat Singing in a more secular (slightly cheesy) context  

Ryoukai

6,550 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:55 am
I started singing jazz, rather poorly and without anywhere near enough training, I might add.

But since I have been being tutored a little more, and had more time to experiment, I took a quick peek into throat singing, which lead me into the realms of death metal (believe it or not, correctly done, the two styles have many similarities)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:00 am
I've been studying opera since I first started singing smile however, I am being forced to learn musical theatre and pop for solo assignments at school...

PS: Does anyone have tips on how to sing pop? My private vocal teacher has experience with mainly opera and some musical theatre, but no pop! The only thing I know about pop is "larynx up" :S  

N1GHT QU33N

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:10 am
Diva_Lyric Coloratura
I've been studying opera since I first started singing smile however, I am being forced to learn musical theatre and pop for solo assignments at school...

PS: Does anyone have tips on how to sing pop? My private vocal teacher has experience with mainly opera and some musical theatre, but no pop! The only thing I know about pop is "larynx up" :S

You want to try and forget everything you learned about tone (not projection or anything else; just tone) from an opera teacher.

With pop vocals, you want the power and control of an opera singer, but you want to use as close to your normal speaking tone as you can while still hitting all the notes.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:00 am
Meeatu
Diva_Lyric Coloratura

You want to try and forget everything you learned about tone (not projection or anything else; just tone) from an opera teacher.

With pop vocals, you want the power and control of an opera singer, but you want to use as close to your normal speaking tone as you can while still hitting all the notes.

Be careful not to think about it too technically. My suggestion would be to mimic what you hear from pop singers (that's how most people learn it), and record yourself trying to sing like that. Yes, the larynx is generally higher, and the soft palate is down (so in general less space inside). Pop isn't much different from musical theater (the main difference being projection), so your voice teacher could offer some good advice.  

musiknerd

Mizz Frappuccino

Beloved Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 am
I'm find myself loving to sing musicals/Broadway and a little pop. My best voice is soprano (says my private teacher), so I sing songs from Disney movies. Besides, I do want to be a Disney Princess of the Disney Cruise Line.  
Instruments and Vocals

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games